It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User
Does anyone here take Lexapro for panic disorder?

I have GAD, panic, slight depression, OCD, PTSD, jeez. Anyways, the major is anxiety and panic. I tried Zoloft but made me about go through my skin, was horrible, even taking Xanax to counteract it. I am going to try the Lexapro, and wanted to hear anyone's experiences with it, good or bad. I read that it can cause stomach pain, and I have a very sensitive stomache, but will watch that. I am mainly worried about it affecting me with more anxiety, or affecting my asthma or my beta blocker. I just want to feel good again. This is horrible. Thanks anyone! Michelle

Old 11-20-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

seaMich HB User
Re: Does anyone here take Lexapro for panic disorder?

I started Lexapro about 3 weeks ago for GAD and Panic Attacks. (I have never taken any meds before for this so it is my first one). The first few days it did make me naucious and I was also a little dizzy and had some headaches. HOWEVER this was only for the first few days and everything I read said stick with it because it does go away and that was very true it did go away and now I take 20mg with no problems. My psych started me at 5 then wanted me to increase by 5 every two days til I got to 20- since I was naucious though I waited on 10 til all my side effects were gone (about a week) before I increased it. The one other thing they say is in the beginning it can increase anxiety- I did have a panic attack that first week, but have not had one since!! I had Ativan to use with it in case that did happen. I have to say that now 3 weeks in I have no side effects and can say that I *really* think this med is helping. I have so much less anxiety (it's not completely gone yet, but is WAY better). I also am able to talk myself out of a PA when I feel one could be coming on. Good luck and really stick through the first few days if you have side effects!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

miche31 HB Usermiche31 HB User

Thank you. I took my first dose last night. 5mg, and I too will work my way up. I will stay on 10mg for two weeks, then see about going to 20. I did have night sweats. I hate those, because I'm already having hot and cold flashes already. I asked my Dr. if I could be in perimenopause (I just turned 36, but my greatgrandma completed menopause at 38), and she said no, hormone tests were fine, and that my hot flashes are just from anxiety. Anyways, I hope that does go away. I woke up, not too dizzy, tiny bit nauseated, not bad, but did have a headache and was anxious, but that is also why I'm on the med. I took a half a Xanax and it has helped. I just hope it will eventually take away my anxiety and panic attacks. Everytime I have a panic attack, it makes my heart race and I go into an SVT attack. (supraventricular tachycardia) I am on a beta blocker for it right now, but they are trying to find the cause of my heart condition, which they think is anxiety induced. I hope this is the drug for me. I'm really glad to hear it is helping you. Any stomach pains with it? Michelle

Old 11-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
(female)

tgrose HB User

I've been on Lexapro for about a year now. I've had GAD, Panic, OCD, you name it. Lexapro works wonderfully for me, but the first week was hard. At first it made me very anxious and I also had night sweats. AFter one week, they went away. Now i'm still only on 5 mg/day because I do think it made me gain weight. But 5mg/day helps. My anxiety is under control and I don't have panic unless i"m in an extreme situation.

Give it a week or two. It really helps

Closed Thread