It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
(female)

qingche HB User
Light Therapy Helps Treat Panic Disorder!

Hi everyone out there with panic disorder:

I have just found a miracle that more or less cured my panic disorder, and I wanted to share with everyone here: I started having panic disorder/mild depression 2 months ago. It all of the sudden hit me from nowhere, and since then I could not work, could not enjoy my life, could not even go out to restaurants or movies or just about anything! I felt misrable and was in bed all day long for most of my past 2 months! Then, I was put on Lexapro by my psychiatrist. 4 days into Lexapro I couldn't take it anymore! I had all the side effects that people here have discribed: the dizziness, fatigue, hot flash, sweat, headache, chil, sore deep in the bones... You name it, I have had all of the above! So I called my psychiatrist on the 4th day and he told me to get off it immediately. Thank god I did! I cannot imagine being on that or any anti-depressant medication ever again!

Anyway, then my psychiatrist suggested that I start light therapy. He recommended Apollo Light Box .{REMOVED} That's the one I got and supposedly the only one that truly works! Well, it works for me!!! Only one week into using this light box (you sit in front of the box for only 30 minutes every morning), it has made me feel SOOOO much better! My mild depression is completely gone, and I am not anxious/panicy anymore! It is supposed to treat SAD---seasonal affective disorder. But, for some reason it works so well treating my panic disorder! After only one week, I am basically cured! I have so much energy everyday, I feel good about myself and my life, I am not depressed anymore, and I am out going and enjoying my life again!

The fact is that, I think panic disorder is very much related to depression. Once we get our depression under control, plus we bring back positive thinking, panic disorder is gone along the way! It all makes perfect sense.

Nowadays, I use the light box for 30 minutes in the morning (sometimes I would use it for 5 minutes at night when I come home from work and feel a little "down", but not more than 5 minutes otherwise you can't sleep), walk my dog in the park, then go to work. I have some Xanax with me (although knock on wood I have never needed to take one!) just in case, but I am not taking any other medications at all. By the way, I have also learned some easy breathing tech to relax me, just when I start to feel anxious. The techniques also help a lot!

So, the light box + breathing techs, have helped me get rid of my panic disorder! If I can do it, you can too!

Cheer up,

Qingche

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-12-2006 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Please read and follow the posting rules. Do not post links to commerical websites, product names are fine, websites or how to search instructions on how to find websites is not. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Light Therapy Helps Treat Panic Disorder!

Light therapy helps me a lot too. My anxiety is always much worse in winter and the light box helps. YMMV but for me I need to sit under it for an hour to feel better.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

What in the world are you guys talking about?

I've never heard of this light therapy. What is a light box? Where do you get them? How much do they cost? Are there different brands? Would love to know more about this.

Tell me/us more.

Thanks

Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
(female)

qingche HB User

Dear Barbara,

This light box works for people with SAD and anxiety/panic disorder. I was told by my psychiatrist that if you live anywhere north of Florida, you don't get enough sun light during the winter. Even though it might be sunny outside, the rays are not strong enough to give us the energy we need to balance our mood. Well, I live in NYC so it is quite depressing in the winter. He recommended that I get the light box called The Brite Lite IV from Apollo Health. It costs $279, and I ordered it directly from the company.

Yes there are many brands in the market. My husband did LOTS of research on which one to get, and even medical supply stores told him he should get this Apollo one. It seems like the only one that truly works. If you get other brands, make sure they are at least 10,000 lux! Anything less than 10,000 LUX won't work.

I have been using it for a few weeks now, and I have to tell you that it made such a big difference! It cured my SAD first---just 2 days after I started using it, I got so much more energy and was not depressed anymore. Then a few days later I stopped feeling anxiety or panic. I still feel a little weird, mostly dizzy and nervous when I am in the subway (that's where my first panic attack started--for anyone who has been in the NYC subway, you would agree it is not the best place to be), but it is within my capacity to handle. Also, subway seems to be the only place I still feel weird now, but no where else anymore! I used to get panic attacks in stores, restaurants, movie theatres, just about every where. I used to get up in the morning feeling short of breath, anxious, and depressed too. Now I get up in the morning and sit in front of the light box for 1/2 hour (recommended length), I feel great whole day! Sometimes I get a little down after work (because it is already very dark out), so I sit in front of the light when I get home for another 5 minutes and I am fine.

I talked to some friends in Europe and they all seemed to already know what it is! It sounds like light therapy is very popluar in Europe. Well, it was the first time I ever heard of it. Now I am hooked on this machine. I even look forward to sitting in front of it every morning!

I went to the Caribbean last week and I noticed that I had NO anxiety or panic whatsoever! I felt great for the whole time, was able to fly, and even after drinking I did not have any anxiety the next day! I realized that sun light is so important for us to balance our mood and body! It all makes perfect sense now why the light box works.

As I said, I still have a little dizziness which sometimes makes me anxious in the subway. So I am taking the French sea salt mentioned in another thread, hoping to get rid of it completely.

I hope it will work on you too. Good luck!

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-29-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

This sounds very interesting. I am wondering if this would help with derealization and fogginess. I sometimes am in a foggy state, some call it derealization and I may try it for that. Have you this problem with panic and are you on medication. Is the light therapy the only action you take for panic and anxiety?

Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
(female)

qingche HB User

J2006, I am not sure if this light therapy would halp with all the symptoms associated with anxiety and panic disorder. Yes I do get derealization from time to time. I would wonder if things or myself are for real... But I often think of the foggy state as part of depression or anxiety. And when it happens, I just brush it off like another symptom of anxiety. You see, for me, I need a scientific answer for everything. So once I know what it is and what causes it, I am not afraid of it anymore.

Back to the light box, I don't know if it will help with what you have. But, it does help a LOT with my energy level and positive thinking! Once my energy level is back and I can do more exercise and go out more, I am less anxious or panicky because I distract myself with all the activities and have no time to sit there obsessing with my problems. I truly think this works for everyone.

No I am not taking any medicaitons at all. I tried Lexepro for a few days but the side effects nearly killed me. I hated it so I quit. And I am proud and glad I quit as early as I could.

Now I feel much better, using a combination of light box, French sea salt (the one I got after seeing the thread on this board), breahing techniques (I downloaded them from the internet, very useful), exercise, and any distractions I can use to turn my attention.

Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

I think I might try this. I also use the sea salt, which is wonderful, I am on Celexa. Lexapro nearly killed me as well. I know that Derealization is part of anxiety but It just keeps coming back!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
(female)

qingche HB User

Dear Jane,

Yes mine too. My derealization is on and off and never really went away. Believe me, I am struggling with it too. I heard you have tried the Linden Method? Does it work? I am curious...

Closed Thread