It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User
How to STOP a panic attack

I can't go to a psychiatrist, so I really would like advice from all of you on how to stop a panic attack.

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

Mvhrt HB User
Re: How to STOP a panic attack

Unfortunetly you can't stop a panic attack so to speak... there are breathing exercises you can do that will help but sometimes they are inevitable. My best advice for you is to learn how to deal with them when they happen.. the key to this is to relax, know it's a panic attack and nothing more, and let it pass. Once you except the panic and stop trying to fight them off they will become fewer and fewer it's a way of programing your brain to think of them differently and eventually your brain will take a hint. This is what worked for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barbara_Ann HB UserBarbara_Ann HB User

Hi ~ mvhrt gave you some very good advise.

Have you heard the expression Fight or Flight.

That is two things you DO NOT want to do when you feel a panic attack starting. Don't try to fight it (or stop it) and don't try to flee it.

There are 2 phases to an attack.

The trick is not to get to phase 2.

Phase one is when you realize you are beginning to have an attack. Immediately, after the initial startlization begin talking to yourself outloud or silently and telling yourself this is nothing more then my mind which is worn out nerves, I'm not going to die. Begin taking slow deep breaths, put a cold towel on back of your neck and head between your knees and just relax and let it run it's course. When you do that, it can't run it's charted course and goes away.

When you become afraid it sets off your adrenalin and awaaaaaaaaaay you go. You begin trying to fight it or to flee it (both of which are impossible once you reach this point). Neither work both make it worse. As a matter of fact, this is phase 2 and there is nothing you can do at this point but just let it go and end on it's own. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE. You just will feel like you are.

It's all in the application. You have to change your thought process very early on in these attacks. Application, application, application.

You have panic...................it does NOT have you. Control it by accepting when it happens, breath deep, relax, even eat something (peanut butter, cold cuts, eggs or some other unprocessed protein)so it will not affect your blood sugar level which can compound it.

There is a great book by Dr. Claire Weekes "Hope and Help For Your Nerves"
it will set you on the road to recovery.

Good luck you can do it

Last edited by Barbara_Ann; 01-01-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User

Everyone has their own way of dealing, you will have to find yours. Don't be discouraged, everything doesn't work for everyone, and some people's coping methods may even make your panic attacks worse. You just have to go by trial and error.

My personal way of stopping a panic attack is to forget about it. Breathing exercises, relaxation techniques, medication...all of that makes my panic attack a million times worse. I just have to STOP THINKING about it and I'm fine. To do this, I usually act totally normal. If I stop to give one ounce of attention to the panic then it takes over. I just keeping posting on forums, or read a book, or clean or do whatever I was already doing. Sometimes I will go to a shopping mall or park, somewhere where there is a lot to see and do to distract me.

There are also long term methods of reducing panic attacks. All types of therapy and medications that can stop attacks completely or mostly. Why can't you go to a doctor?

Old 01-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
(female)

mikesgirl HB User

I'm really curious as to why you can't see a doctor-I am sure there are a lot of things that could help you. You don't necessarily have to see a psychiatrist. You may even have a physical issue you don't know about...

Just my $.02.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesgirl
I'm really curious as to why you can't see a doctor-I am sure there are a lot of things that could help you. You don't necessarily have to see a psychiatrist. You may even have a physical issue you don't know about...

Just my $.02.

Well, it's not that I can't go to one, I just don't think I should right now. I've been sick with Chronic Lyme Disease for years and nobody believes me. Everyone thinks it's 'all in my head' and they are all trying to get me to go to a shrink about it and I think that if I go to one and feel better (mentally) then my mom will stop taking me to doctors for my physical problems. It's pretty complicated. But I really want to get help, though for my mental stuff. But it's all part of Lyme and my pals from the Lyme board tell me that some of it will clear up with antibiotics.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Aquaticgirl HB User

Thank yoy for all of the great advice, everyone!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

If you feel your anxiety level building, then do something else. I learned about this in a panic class I took, it's called a cortical shift. Do math problems, or make a phone call, or read a book...anything to take your mind off of it. The more you freak out about the panic, the more adrenyline will shoot into your body and the worse it will be.

BTW, I think I may have lyme too. I have a lot of the symptoms, and have basically been told it's just my anxiety and all in my head by my doc. I have a new thread on the lyme board. Here is a link.
[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=461381[/url]

Does this resemble your symptoms at all? I am wondering if my anxiety is a symptoms of Lyme disease.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User

There are many things you can do and many avenues to venture on to find your path. First and foremost would be a physical exam. If this was already done-great. Next, do some reasearch. Write down YOUR symptoms and keep a log for a solid week. Write down everything you eat and any stressful moment. If you have a panic attack-write it down. At the end of that solid week-read it. It will give you insight. How is your diet? Is it filled with sodas and processed foods? If you have had it with your doctor - go get another opinion. An endocrinologist can check you as well (for thyroid, imbalances). Do you drink enough water, do you excersice? Step back and look at your life. Are you happy? I am a firm believer that when you go against your grain (against your gut feeling ) you get nervous as a result. Diet, movement, and food ,and a strong belief system should carry you through this, but it is vital to rule out illness and bloodwork does do this. This world we live in writes everything off as emotional stress and it is annoying!! Americans on the whole eat C.R.A.P (condensed foods, refined sugars,alcohol/asprins and processed foods and then they get confussed why their bodies are falling apart. Please realize when you realize one piece of this puzzle is your horrid diet-it takes time to reverse this in the body. Pour some of this energy into research and maybe even go see a nutritionist (medical dietician) whatever your insurance company calls it.There is no magic bullet to good health. There are many books and radio stations that have all these conversations and can help guide you. Contact-radio (cass Ingram) and others, Wor710 all of them are on the net. It saved my life. It took almost a whole year before I realized what I wrote here is really true! Just take one step at a time and Good Luck.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

I've made a couple trips to the hospital, thinking I was having a heart attack, when it was really a panic attack. A nurse told me that one way to stop it is to gag yourself. Put your finger down your throat and get the gag reflex going. It will shake off the panic attack. I've tried it, and it works for me.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
(female)

RIGIRL HB User

take ativan or valium

Old 03-31-2007, 04:47 PM   #12
(female)

lansell HB User

NO! never ever EVER take pills o get rid of attacks! the way to rid it is IGNORE ~~IT! it cant hurt you. go do something.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hangin in There HB User

Ignoring doesn't work for me. The feeling of doom is too powerful.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:12 AM   #14
(female)

9lusia9 HB User

I will tell you my method, maybe it will help
Well, my "method" is to count. We already know that it will go after some time, so when it comes, I immediately look at my watch and if its 12:30 for instance, I know that i will be more or less ok at 12:45(50), so I just wait for that time and somehow try to put in my head that it just needs this time and during this time I do not stop (when i was stopping what was i doing and trying some breathing and etc, it did not help for me) and try to continue what I was doing.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-04-2007 at 11:43 AM.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
(female)

shel1216 HB User
Smile Re: How to STOP a panic attack

I recently started having panic attacks and I try to stop them too...well try. Even though I don't have a huge "scene" I feel exhausted afterwards and like I just want to pass out.
From my experiences of about two months of these is not to try to stop them. I should take my own advice. I'm pretty new to this though and all I have heard is just to try and "stay relaxed!"

I hope you get the help you need,

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-06-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Closed Thread