It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

scotianprincess HB User
trouble swallowing food b/c of panic?

Hi all,

Do any of you have problems eating and swallowing food b/c of panic and anxiety? I find when I am panicky or anxious, which is most of the time, if I try to eat anything solid I have trouble swallowing and I end up making myself choke. I'm concerned!!!

I should note that about 4 years ago I was home alone and choked on a caramel, and was able to dislodge it, but I really thought I was going to die for a little while there. Could the panic be bringing this memory back subconsciously when I am trying to eat and making me feel like I will choke? Sometimes I do end up choking, so eating can make me even more panicky when I am already feeling messed up...

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
(female)

seaMich HB User
Re: trouble swallowing food b/c of panic?

I too have a difficult time swallowing when I am panicy. I feel like the food is getting stuck and I can't get it down and then get more panicy because I think I am going to choke- UGH. I have found the only way to help me deal with it is to just take a second when I start to feel this way and slow down and then I am able to swallow better. Also sometimes if i touch my neck like where my throat feels like it can't swallow it helps- weird, I know. Anyway, hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 04:34 AM   #3
(female)

Jessbear HB User

When I'm feeling anxious and panicky, I gag a lot and sometimes dry heave. I do this when I'm not eating so you can imagine that when I do try to eat something while anxious, it's pretty much impossible.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

This happens to me. I can hardly eat at all when I'm having an anxious period. In fact, I survived the last two weeks mostly on smoothies and Ensure beverages.

I think this is pretty common as I've seen it mentioned on anxiety boards many times.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:12 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

scotianprincess HB User

Ok, well, I do feel better knowing it is not just me, but still sad it happens to us at all. I can stand to lose about 60 pounds, but not being able to eat is not the way I wanted to go about doing it. Just another issue to try and calm down now - ugh. It can be done!!! Thanks all

Old 01-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #6
(male)

nicechap HB User

I went through a phase of doing exactly this. Suddenly when I was eating I would think I was choking, or about to choke, and I would start to panic which, of course, made it all the worse. I never actually was choking, mind, I was just really scared. Now, however, I take all the precautions: I chew food properly, I don't laugh or talk whilst chewing, and I sit up properly when I eat. Also, I learnt about what to do if I really did start choking. I don't worry about it all anymore. I suppose after a while (about a month) I just thought "look, I haven't choked, I can swallow normally, why are you worrying about it?" So there you go.

Closed Thread