It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
(female)

JillyC HB User
Lorazepam

Has anybody else used Lorazepam as a stand alone treatment? Is there any risks to only using this drug?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User
Re: Lorazepam

I take Xanax for my panic and anxiety and it works wonders. Xanax and Lorazepam are both benzdiazepenes and work in the same way. It has very few to no side effects except drowsiness, so don't drive if you feel too loopy. The drowsiness usually goes away after a few days of use. It almost completely eliminates my anxiety! However it can cause dependency, so if you decide to use it then prepare to use it as a long term solution and not a temporary fix. Just to clarify, there is no quick fix to any anxiety dissorder. NEVER stop taking it cold turkey even after a month or so at low doses because the withdrawl can be very uncomfortable and cause rebound anxiety that may be worse than the anxiety you originally had, so slowly taper off the benzo over time to reduce the effects. Again it isn't addictive, but it will cause withdrawl if not stopped properly. I fully intend to take a benzo of some sort for the rest of my days because it has made my life worth living again, so give it a try and see whether it works. It is not any worse than all of the ineffective SSRI's out there that cause incredible side effects and the same physical dependency.

Good luck,
OE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User

I've used a low dose of lorazepam daily for over 2 years and I'm still taking it. I am dependant on it. The doctor tried several medications on me, and when I didn't do well on them, he put me back on lorazepam.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
(female)

terry111 HB User

I was prescribed xanax, again, similar to lorezepam. 4 times a day at .5mg. I'm not sure how long I'll be on it, but as long as my breathing issues cause me to panic, I guess, however long that may be... could be months, years, etc...? I am not worried about withdrawals. I have faith that my psych will wean me off in such a way that it won't be too horrible!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
(female)

yogamama78 HB User

My fiance calls it the miracle pill. I take it 3 times a day and probably couldn't get through work without it. i like to call it plan b.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

Artgrl HB User

After my first attack my doctor prescribed Lorazepam for me incase I had another attack. So far I've only had to take a pill twice in the last 2 months. I don't take it daily since so far my panic attacks only happen about once a month so I just use it when a really bad attack hits. I haven't noticed any side effects aside from sleepiness.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

andromeda246 HB User

I have taken lorazepam for over a year. One 1-2 mg in the eveing. I was also taking Anafrinil but did not like the side effects. now I use only the lorazempa. It makes life a whole lot easier. Every one is different however and you should discuss dependancies and long term side effects with your doctor.
The thing I like best about the lorazepam is that it cuts out the repatetive thoughts and dreaded feeling of panic.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
(female)

FANNtasy3 HB User

Hi Folks,

Im a drop by once in a while, my time on the boards is usually spent in Fibromyalgia.

I have been taking Adivan(lorazapam) for years. I also take Lexapro and can not control my anxiety with just the Lorazapam or just the Lexapro. I have recently upped to two times a day due to adverse reaction to another med change.

They help me to not sweat the small stuff. I also have Fibromyalgia and CFS, all of which I feel has to do with my past illnesses and life experiences, all bunched up with panic disorder.
I too can feel panicy every once in a while, even taking my anxiety meds.

So I support andromeda thought that, "It makes life a whole lot easier." and, "The thing I like best about the lorazepam is that it cuts out the repatetive thoughts and dreaded feeling of panic."

Feel Well Folks,

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-22-2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: If you know that a word is questionable enough that you have to ** it out, then just don't use it. Choose a different word.

Closed Thread