It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Nervous When Meeting People - Sound Breathless..How Do I Deal w/It?

Finally felt the courage to ask this....I think I'm suffering from panic attacks when it comes to talking to new people either on the phone or in person. I sound out of breath, which has embarrasssed me one too many times.

It really lasts the first 5 minutes or so, then everything back to normal....how can I control this? Also, going up flights of stairs while talking causes me to sound very breathy too.

I really don't want to try any meds, I think people in the US are just given too much of them, and they are a false sense of truth...I want to avoid them.

Any natural cures or coping skills? And as for as exercises, please break it down for me in duration - with all that's going on in my life, I need a time table or schedule to get used to...how often I should do it, etc...thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
(female)

lady1 HB User
Re: Nervous When Meeting People - Sound Breathless..How Do I Deal w/It?

I have read some books about anxiety and panic disorder. I have these disorders as well as social anxiety. The biggest thing that helps me is staying away from caffiene and when I feel a panic attack coming on, I take a deep breath in thru my nose from my abdomen and hold my breath 4 seconds, then exhale thru my mouth for 4 seconds. If i keep repeating the deep breathing it helps a lot because when I start panicking, I start breathing too fast and hyperventilate sometimes. Hope this helps. You can also look up books on the internet at Barnes and Noble about social anxiety and panic attacks that offer suggestions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

CandP HB User
Re: Nervous When Meeting People - Sound Breathless..How Do I Deal w/It?

Hi, thanks for the advice. I can't say caffeine really bothers me - I drink one cup a day (three quarters milk), but I understand the side effects of it.

However, I think my biggest problem is not having learned how to breathe correctly...? I think...I sound high pitched also. I tend to elavate shoulders when I take in a breath & I was told that's not right.

I will look up books I guess...hoping there are some "how to" about breathing out there....would you know of any good ones? Thanks.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-03-2007 at 11:00 AM.

Closed Thread