It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
(male)

Deka HB User
I guess I need some help and support

Hey,
Not quite sure where to start with my little introduction, so I'll dive right in.
I've always been a "panicky person". I'm sure most will relate to that, I mean I have a nervous, worrying personality, but it's never been a problem. I've also always had very minor panic attacks, but I've always been able to pull myself out of them before they got too serious, so again, never considered it a problem. Also, I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac, slightest upset stomach I'm thinking back through what I've eaten that day, what kind of food poisoning I might have, etc. However, again, nothing too serious, I could usually laugh it off afterwards and tell myself I was being silly.

A couple of weeks ago I had the worst attack I have ever had. For some reason, getting a slight rash on the palm of my hand caused me to think I was having some kind of allergic reaction, and then bam, I was "dying". In my mind, my throat was closing up, I couldn't breathe and if I didn't get to the doctor in minutes I was a goner. For sure the scariest moment I have ever had, and I would have called an ambulance had my father not been there and recognised it for what it was.

He suffered from severe panic attacks and anxiety a few years back, which got so bad he would simply not leave the house at all, ever. He stopped going to work for about 6 months I believe (I was quite young and didn't really understand at the time) and lost any kind of a social life he had.

For a week or so after this bad attack, I felt weird. That's the only way I can describe it, "weird", it is a feeling that I cannot put symptoms or a name to. If i had to try, it's like some of my panic attack symptoms just didn't go away, and I felt like I was constantly putting effort into.. keeping myself sane? I don't really know.. sort of like I didn't have the grip on my mind that I used to? That sounds pretty odd, I know.

Anyway, my Dad (who I can talk to about this, I know he's been down the same road) urged me to goto the doctor and get it sorted out before it gets worse - but I don't really want to do that. He got put on SSRIs (well.. actually Effexor I think, which isn't strictly an SSRI is it, but "antidepressants") and I don't want to go that route. I know I shouldn't speak before I've tried them, but to me that sounds like putting a mask on the problem, and it feels like if I take that route it will always be there lurking beneath the surface... I'd rather sort myself out naturally if possible.

Anyway, after this horrible week, my mind cleared a bit. I felt good again, pretty much back to normal. Great, I thought, I must have just been having a bad week and it got a bit too much.

Until a couple of days ago. I had a bit of a painful chest, which I managed to work myself up into a "heart attack". Since then, I'm stuck back in this state of mind which I can't explain, at times I am panicky, at times I feel as calm as anything, but whatever I feel, I am not ME anymore. Take for example, as I write this post. I do not feel particularly panicky, yet I look around the room and I just feel different somehow. This is what I cannot deal with. The panic attacks, yeah, OK, pretty scary stuff - but they aren't going to kill me, I can ride them out if I have to. But this constant derealised state is driving me insane, and it is giving me more reason to panic than any illness I've created in my head. I read in another post on this board "it's like I've set my panic switch constantly to 'on'" that's pretty much what I'm feeling. Even when I'm not panicking, I'm panicking.

Anyway, this has gotten fairly long and I'm sorry for doing a bit of a diarypost, but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to go from here. Part of me wants to tell myself to stop being silly, part of me is dreading tonight because I know once the house is silent and I'm in bed with nothing to distract me, my mind will go down horrible trains of thought I don't wish it to.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

terry111 HB User
Re: I guess I need some help and support

Oh my gosh! Can I just say, I completely felt like you are describing about 3-4 weeks ago?! Seriously, like I was just insane and couldn't control my mind... it was scary! I know the feeling and you just want desperately to get out of that and can't quite figure out how.. you think you are doing okay for a bit and it happens again, like you are going crazy. To be honest, for me, it lasted about 2 weeks and passed, finally! So, for me, it passed on its own, without meds. But, sometimes we do need the meds to help us out while we work out the stuff behind it all.
Just ask yourself if you can seriously stand living like this or would you rather just try a med for a short time to see if it will help? Shortly after, though, I developed breathing trouble (hyperventilation syndrome), and so since I have been put on meds. And, though I can't say they are helping me, I just don't think I've found the right one yet.

Anyways, please come here for support. I know what you are going through and I know it's terrifying! I'm so sorry you are feeling this way and I hope you are able to get through it, with or without drugs.

Last edited by terry111; 03-14-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: sp error

Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

Artgrl HB User
Re: I guess I need some help and support

I can completely relate to you. My anxiety isn't over health concerns but it does pop up out of the blue. And like you I end up feeling "wrong" for several days after an attack. It's like something in my mind has changed and I can't go back. That's how I explain it to my husband. Like I've figured out something about life that I'm not suppose to know and now I can't unlearn it and forever look on the world around me differently. Eventually that feeling goes away but it takes quite a few days. I've only been getting attacks for 3 months now and still have yet to figure out how to handle them. But I wanted you to know you're not alone. I end up with that feeling too and it scares the crap out of me. Makes me feel like I'm losing my mind. Hang in there and please talk to your doctor to get some help. I hate taking drugs too but have now had to rely on Lorazepam twice to help me through an attack and I'm happy I had it on hand to help me through. Hopefully you can get some help and figure out what is causing your attacks.

Kristy

Closed Thread