It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 05:18 AM   #1
(female)

nuni HB User
Ativan...

Hello everyone,

This might sound childish but I’m going to ask anyway….About five years ago I started to have panic attacks with heart jumping, shakings and the worse symptom, that feeling that you are going to die any minute now, because your heart is going to stop…..I overcame most of my fears over the years but have been left with a few small fears … such as the fear of taking new pills due to fatale side effects, which can only happen to me. As I have to fly and of course I am paralyzed with fear of flying, my GP prescribed Lorazepam ( Ativan) .5 sublingual as necessary, in case I cannot control myself during the flight.
My question is….did any of you have experienced major side effects from this pill especially while flying? Should I take it or no? I’ve taken one yesterday but part of it spilled it because I got scared….Stupid, eh?
Thanks everyone for taking time to read my post.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Ativan...

I had no side effects with Ativan. I really liked it and helped a great deal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #3
(female)

terry111 HB User

I'm going to guess the only side effect you'll get on that is tiredness. I don't think it would really affect you in any other ways. But, everyone is different. Most often, benzo side effects are just drowsiness.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
(female)

mommy5 HB User

I first had a shot of Ativan in the ER and it helped a great deal. They sent me home with some pills and they didn't seem to have the same effect. To be honest, benedryl has the same effect on me as the ativan. I have a huge fear of flying as well but have only been in a helicopter (not by choice). I have no desire to ever set foot in an airplane.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
(female)

RIGIRL HB User
Thumbs up Re: Ativan...

i have used ativan for many years and i started to get panic attacks on planes for some odd reason so i always take one right before we board so it kicks in right before we are taking off and it works great so i would take it if you get nervous. it completely calms you down. there are no other side effects. also if you need it to kick in quicker you can chew it a little and let it disolve under your tongue. goes right into your bloodstream that way so you dont have to wait. i have done that many times when i had a panic attack come on very quick. it stoos it dead in its tracks!!!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-26-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Removed text message chat room language and replaced it with real words. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread