It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

shel1216 HB User
Exclamation Is there something wrong with me?

When my dad got worried about my panic attacks he called my doctor and she said to see a psychiatrist. When that happened, I questioned myself as to whether what was happening was real (the attacks). You can't fake a panic attack can you?
All I know is that I feel like I'm going to literally die, like something around me is going to kill me and one time I wouldn't let go of my bf's hand because I thought I was never going to see him again. I feel suffocated and get claustrophobic (sp?), hyperventilate, cry, and tingle. Is this normal? Someone please help!!
My dad thinks I'm faking it and I want to know if that's possible, though my attacks seem so real and life-threatening.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-06-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wholegrain HB User
Re: Is there something wrong with me?

Those sound like panic attacks to me. What do you mean "faking" it? To "fake" something means to PURPOSELY deceive others. If you were faking it, wouldn't you have to be doing it on purpose and therefore know you were doing it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
(male)

dgal53 HB User

Tingling goes right along with hyperventilation, especially around the mouth and the fingers. I think it's pretty difficult to fake a panic attack. Even claustraphobia and breathing difficulty go together and are symptoms of panic.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

You may have questioned yourself because you were frightened to see a phsyciatrist. You can not fake a panic attack. Who would want to?!!

Old 04-08-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

shel1216 HB User
Exclamation Re: Is there something wrong with me?

I don't know who would want to but I also have epilepsy and a little bit of OCD (everyone around me knows except dad) so I guess I feel like if anything else is wrong I will feel like a hypochondriac. Thus, I may be coming up with reasons why I am having them such as faking, wanting attention, something new in my life, but I want to know that this is real and I am not choosing this because I don't believe I am. I guess I am just scared. Anyone have any advice?
Tell me that this can't just be stopped by telling myself not to panic (that would mean I have control over it and people would think I'm creating this). I just don't want people to think I'm a freak...much less think that myself.
HELP

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

Learning to use the tea forms and doing them everyday is what helped get me where I am today.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

The more work you do on restructuring your thinking in a tea form the more results you will receive over time becuase I thin it is accumulative learning.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
(female)

sondra52 HB User

The only thing that's wrong with you is that you had a panic attack! Like everyone else said, why would you fake a panic attack, as they certainly aren't fun! I've battled them for 30 yrs (I must not have very good psychiatrists, or may just be one of those people who don't respond to the medications, etc.). I love the periods when they go away, but unfortunately, they have always come back. But that's just me. Don't let anyone tell you it's "all in your head", or "quit thinking about it---you talk yourself into it", etc. You're not a hypochondriac, and I don't know you, but I know you didn't "fake" it. Hopefully someone will have some good ideas for you, so you can get it under control. I don't mean this to be mean, I really don't, but sometimes I wish that everyone could have panic attacks for a day, so they would understand what it's like to have them. And like I said, I don't mean that in a vicious way, but "mental" disorders are so misunderstood, and it just doesn't seem like there is the same level of tolerance from others sometimes.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

yep definetly panic attacks. sorry they are awful but hopefully you can get help for them and don't listen to what others say. if they had one for 2 seconds t hey would be real quick to say"i am sorry they are real" i get tired of people who think oh you can just make them go away just like that. people who have never had one do not all the way understand the whole mechanics to them.

Closed Thread