It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
(female)

hemigirl1 HB User
High blood pressure at doc's "white coat syndrome"

Does anyone else have "white coat syndrome"? Like others with anxiety disorder I have a home blood pressure monitor, (actually 2 of them) and I check it all the time, and it is fine, until I go to the doctor, then it goes crazy high. I hate it, just the thought of going to the doc makes me nervous. I have an app in 3 weeks, and I am already dreading it.......does anyone know how to get over the white coat syndrome?

Old 04-20-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
Re: High blood pressure at doc's "white coat syndrome"

I have white coat syndrome, too. My mom and 8-year-old daughter have it, too. My daughter's blood pressure was as high as 150/90 (which then went down to 90/60 which is normal for a child).

I've tried deep breathing and it helps to bring my blood pressure down somewhat. My heart rate is always high, too, which tells me it is my anxiety that is causing the high readings.

I wish there was something more we could do to overcome this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 06:37 AM   #3
(female)

hemigirl1 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I ended up having to go to the doc yesterday morning, and I was so nervous, I checked my BP at home, it was like 121/81, and when I got to the Doc's I did my breathing exercises, and read a magazine. When I got back to the room, the girl checked it and I told her it was going to be high, but it was only 127/82, so not that bad. I was so relieved, I said WOO HOO! So on my next App (2 weeks from now) I am going to try and do the same......

Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I have the EXACT same thing! I went into the ER for a broken tailbone, and the minute I saw the blood pressure cuff, my heart started racing. Sure enough, my BP reading was 145/84. I warned the nurse in advance that I was fighting an anxiety attack, and since my pulse rate was over 100, she made a note of it and the doc didn't say a word to me. I also told them I was taking anti-anxiety meds as needed. Telling the truth has seemed to help the last few times I have had a dr.'s appointment, and since my pulse is always sky-high with the BP, they tend to believe me and not hassle me too much. Have you tried telling them before they take your BP?
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 04-24-2007, 04:53 AM   #5
(female)

hemigirl1 HB User

Yep, I have told them before they take my blood pressure, and if it is high they just say "Oh Ok then", I guess there are alot of people that have it. I just get so nervous knowing that it is going to be taken. I had joined a weight loss program, and went to weigh in yesterday, and they take your BP once a week, and sure enough mine was through the roof, and it was'nt even the Doctors office, it was 140/97. Then I got home and checked it, it was way down, and then about an hour later, it was 117/79. That is just weird.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

amberil HB User

I have white coat syndrome and have had it as far back as I can remember. I always tell the nurse as she's putting the cuff on me. Some nurses have looked at me like I was an idiot, which makes me feel worse. Some nurses have heard of it and some haven't. I am the same way as you. I always take mine at Wal Mart and it's fine, usually low if anything, but it's thru the roof at the doc's office. My doc knows that I have it, so he's never been concerned about it. I think it's just because I'm at the doc's office and I hate being there and it makes my anxiety kick into high gear. I really have living with this anxiety, it has really affected my life in a negative way.
Congrats on it being normal for you that last time you went!! Maybe you won't have a prob with it anymore? Good luck!!
Amber

Closed Thread