It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
(female)

sweptaway76 HB User
Does anyone feel like thier doctor does not care?

Hi everone. I have been dealing with panic disorder for 13 years. My panic attacks started when I was 18 years old and for years I just thought I had a brain tumor until I got diagnosed. I have seen 2 CBT therapist and have been on and off different meds. I always take myself off of pills because I feel that I can get through this on my own with breathing, positive thinking etc.. I have had panic attacks that I can get through on my own with no medication. I just breathe and tell myself I am ok and this feeling will pass. Lately, that whole idea has been shot out the window. My panic attacks have been awful. My doctors for some reason hate to give me Xanax, the only thing that helps me. I am not dependent on it at all. In fact, a months prescription, lasted me almost a full year. Just knowing that I have it on me sometimes helps. So anyway, I have not seen a doctor in over a year for this because I do not want to be on a daily medication, and evertime I go, I get the same things told to me. The past 3 weeks have been really bad so I decided to make an appointment to make sure nothing else was going on. They gave me an appointment with somebody i had never seen which made me feel a bit better because I thought this one would be somewhat understanding and would listen to me. My appointment was this past Friday and ofcourse this doctor could care less. I was in the midst of a panic attack when I was there and felt like I was going to pass out, shaking, sweating etc.. My blood pressure was really high and what do I get? She told me I needed to deal with the fact that I am going to have to be on medication for the rest of my life. No bloodwork was done. I made it a point to her that I have had alot of chest pain but she could care less and did nothing but listen to my heart. I know the chest pain is most likely from the panic attacks, but still as you all know, it is a scary feeling. I asked her if she could give me at least a months supply of Xanax just to take as needed. She gave me a prescription for 10 pills, the lowest dose. Then she tells me I need to try a different med seeing as every other pill I tried stopped working after a while. So now I am on my 3rd day of Buspar and I do not want to be on it. This is the 5th doctor I have seen for my panic disorder and I feel like I am being shut out. It was like I could not get a word in at all on Fiday. I had a whole list of questions and statements in my head that I was going to ask and say, but she literally blew me off and I wasnt able to get anything answered. So I left there after being in the room for no more then 10 minutes with a prescriptions for Buspar and 10 Xanax. Do I need to keep searching for doctors? Does this happen to anyone else? Am I being stubborn for not wanting to be on medication? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Re: Does anyone feel like thier doctor does not care?

hi i know what your talking about with drs not listening to you before the dr im seeing now i went to him for a whole yr because of panic disorder well thyrold illness runs in my family and i begged him so many times i cant count to please check my thyrolds and hormones mine started in feb 2006 right after i had surgery but the dr wouldnt listen kept saying its a waste of time and money so in sept i starting passingout i was awake but id fall he said it was severe panic attacks which prob was he gave me my xanax no questions ask ,that whole yr i felt horrible he had me on effexor xr but they was not helping me at all i kept telling him this he said well to get the full effect you need to be on 300mg finally in dec i went in and told him i couldnt take it anymore and said id rather die thats how bad i felt so he sent me to a psychiatrist and thats who found my thyrold level sky high it was 8.45 so once i found out which i was thinking it was my thyrolds all along i switched drs i now see a new one hes a internal medicine and sometimes i feel as though he dont listen but he really does he gives me my xanax too ,its hard to find a good dr who will really listen to you so when i have any complints i write everything down and take it with me plus if i want any kind of test run i ask on my next appt im asking him to run the full scan of my thyrold after all im the one paying for this and a good dr should listen to you ,theres one thing he does that bothers me and thats if i call too much he gets mad and i never had a dr ever tell me i call too much im going to give this dr a little more time my husband said i need to make a good patient /dr relationship so they can work with me and help me and yes those panic attacks scared you to dealth i had a bad one yesterday sometimes i feel they will never go away i hope they do but its going on 2 yrs for me and i was told i have panic disorder i can drive in town but not out of town or i get scared and yes i allways take my xanax with me im on 1 mg plus the thyrold meds and high blood pressure meds but my chest does bother me and it is panic but even though we know we wont die its still scarry and at the time your having it you think to yourself maybe this really is a heart attack but it passes and i have had my heart checked so many times i cant count......you can talk to me anytime as i know the feelings of panic attacks and i wish so much for them to go away and i have never tried busbar and i tried the 5 mg and the 2's and i couldnt handle them the 1mg is the only thing that helps me ...........vic

Last edited by vickie45; 05-31-2007 at 04:58 AM.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

Mohawk122 HB User
Re: Does anyone feel like thier doctor does not care?

I also know exactly what your talking about. Ive been dealing with pannic anxiety and depression severly for most of my life. I see a therapist on a weekly basis and ive been to many psycharists all of which i felt didnt care about me or what i had to say. Something that i have heard is that they all try shoving these pills down ur throat because believe it or not, the more meds they perscribe the more likely they are to get free vacations and things like that for selling the meds. Anyway i never wanted to be put on meds but i was told that i needed them and i had no choice i would get perscriptions and wouldnt fill them, then the drs would not want to treat me anymore because i wouldnt do what they told me to do. whenever i refused to take them they told me that its just like having any other disease or problem such as diabeties you need your insulen, so with pannic you need ur pannic meds. my therapist has shown me many different types of breathing techniques and relaxation techniques...also , do you ever tend to dissociate?

Closed Thread