It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
(female)

zeyavia HB User
I Really Need Ppl's Opinions

k so im sure you have seen my many xanax threads...lol
but ummm i am really comfy on it now...have only taken a few within the past month...like four and i split them in half...
went to the dr. and he said it shouldnt be a long term thing and that you can addicted...which i already knew...i asked him if i could take one a day and he said yes...but wants me to really try lexapro...im not really wanting to try yet another pill...it took me forever to try the xanax...
i took a xanax tues and wed and was great then today went without one and was a mess...WAS LIGHTHEADED almost all day...and just awful...im sure it was just my normal anxiety but my feeling is why should i feel bad bout taking it everyday when he told me to but yet he told me to not use it long term AND that today i should wait till i feel anxiety...but i never do cause i usually just go through the anxiety
im not saying ill never try lexapro but for right now id be much more able to do the one xanax a day
i know ppl who have been on it for years...
i mean is that an ok decision for me...???

Old 07-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

ozinpanic HB User
Re: I Really Need Ppl's Opinions

I take Xanax as needed. I was offered Effexor a few years ago but i'd rather live with symptoms of anxiety and take Xanax on and off rather than go through the side effects i had as well as getting hooked on Effexor. You also need to have a mental shift with anxiety as well. Try self help techniques. Search my posts and you'll get all my info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

zeyavia HB User

i actually started on the lexapro cause i felt myself being dependant on the xanax and i couldnt go a day without it...i started craving it and i wasnt even taking it that much...i only took it two days in a row...ONCE a day at .25 but on the third day id shake and get anxiety and had to take a pill...today was my fourth day in a row on xanax at .25 and i started the lex last night...been doing ok on that so far...so we shall see

Old 07-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

From a clinical standpoint, you really are better off using the Lexapro on a daily basis and then only using Xanax occassionally as needed and ONLY when needed. One of the reasons is that you don't want to set up a situation that forces you to feel like you cannot do anything with popping a pill...it sets up a pattern of dependent, addictive behavior.

Secondly, Lexapro works entirely different from Xanax in that in attempts to elevate serotonin levels in the brain. When serotonin levels are stabilized, the need for a sedative medication like Xanax is usually greatly reduced.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

zeyavia HB User

as of right now though i was told to still use the xanax cause i havent even been on the lex a week so therefore i still have anxiety...they said once the lex starts working i can taper off the xanax...does that sound right...maybe im not addicted and its all in my brain but i only take one .25 tablet a day so...that isnt bad...

Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mysticohl HB User

No, that isn't bad. I just saw where someone is taking those 2mg's four times a day, plus lots of ssri stuff. Yeow.

I have taken Xanax on and off for 11 years now. It has saved my life many times. I recently started having panic attacks again so am back on it daily. I have dwindled it down to twice daily most days. Sometimes more. Depends on the day. But I have taken myself off of it several times. It can be hard because I take it at night and it helps me sleep. Takes a few restless nights to get back to normal again. If you were ever normal at sleeping. Anxiety does that.

I have used up to 9mgs a day a long time ago, to 1mg a day, to half a mg a day now (most days) and have had some horrible panic attacks...since I was 7. I am 38. So I understand. I am going in tomorrow to the psychi. and might try Lexapro. I have read some good things on here about it and other places. Start low dosage though. That is the key. I am very sensitive to meds too...except Xanax when the panic hits. Then I need more!

Good luck!

Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyavia View Post
as of right now though i was told to still use the xanax cause i havent even been on the lex a week so therefore i still have anxiety...they said once the lex starts working i can taper off the xanax...does that sound right...maybe im not addicted and its all in my brain but i only take one .25 tablet a day so...that isnt bad...
Yes, actually that's entirely fine. The Lexapro can take up to 4 weeks for it to take maximum effect. During that time, you can use the Xanax. What you will probably start to notice is that overtime you won't even feel like you need to take a Xanax. The anxiety just won't be there as often or as strongly as it used to be.

However, if you find after 4 or more weeks that your need for Xanax hasn't dimished at all, ask your doctor about this. He/she may suggest using a higher dose of Lexapro.

Hope that helps some.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
(female)

zeyavia HB User

what im finding now is that im using more xanax...it has almost been a week on the lex and i guess im feeling that 'more anxious' thing ppl talk about with ssri's
when that xanax wears off i can feel it...and before one a day helped me just fine...i mean i prob. could have gone with two but didnt
now i do and im worried im gonna keep upping my dose
but i see the doc tomorrow
i know its fine to rely on xanax for awhile and its fine to take three a day or maybe i need a higher dose of the xanax but hopefully the lex will start working????

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-11-2007 at 05:41 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mysticohl HB User

Keep in mind, at least for me, that Xanax doesn't always require higher and higher doses to work. Maybe that's because I don't take a buttload a day, but I used to, and it didn't stop working. Maybe it's me. ? I don't like having to rely on meds either. Ugh....but some have to.

Btw, Xanax is known for having a short life span in the body. Valium and Klonopin lasts longer. In that order. I was just talking about that with the she doc a few days ago. But until I figure out how the Lexapro will affect me, we will stick with Xanax. =)

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-13-2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 07-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

CFD 333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyavia View Post
what im finding now is that im using more xanax...it has almost been a week on the lex and i guess im feeling that 'more anxious' thing ppl talk about with ssri's
when that xanax wears off i can feel it...and before one a day helped me just fine...i mean i prob. could have gone with two but didnt
now i do and im worried im gonna keep upping my dose
but i see the doc tomorrow
i know its fine to rely on xanax for awhile and its fine to take three a day or maybe i need a higher dose of the xanax but hopefully the lex will start working????
That is a potential side effect of starting a med like Lexapro. Unfortunately, the anxiety can be worse initially, but almost always starts tapering off after the first week or two. There is definitely an adjustment period that goes on. One you pass through this, you should start noticing the anxiety start melting away. In the meantime, using Xanax can help you get through it.

Very often, people won't start on a high dose of Lexapro...they usually start low and slowly raise it to try to avoid as much of the initial adjustment period side effects as they can. You might want to ask your doc about how to do this as well if it's becoming intolerable to you.

Last edited by CFD 333; 07-13-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
(female)

zeyavia HB User

well talking to my family doc doesnt help much...he knows little bout anything...first of all he told me lex will not cause more anxiety...im like ok ummmm it is a KNOWN fact that it does
but anyway he wants me take buspar...
next time i see him im gonna ask bout klonopin
but yeah i mean i started with 1/4 of a 10 mg. of lex and now taking a half a pill for the last two days...so far its fine...sat. i felt great and took no xanax...yesterday i took one...my biggest problem is when i work...i have attacks so im not sure if i should WAIT till i have one at work or take one before work...i do feel a bit better and even though im having more intense attacks they arent more than i used to...just more intense when i do get them...BUT for some reason i feel a bit better already on the lex...as in im not thinking bout the attacks as much...
so anyway i think im a just use the xanax as needed and then just see what happens
i have no clue why one pill doesnt effect me the same anymore...no clue cause i dont and have never taken lots of xanax...guess maybe it is the lex...

Old 07-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

borderlinefine HB User

They had me on lex and xanax for two weeks prior, and it didnt help me with my panic attacks. then they have me on zoloft that seems to do much better

Old 07-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
(female)

rosarymaker HB User

Hi, I have a very good doctor and have been on Xanax for 3 years. His knowledge about this drug is that you have to take it every 4 hours. It levels out in your system so you don't flunctuate with anxiety. By taking it every 4 hours you don't lose it in your system and your anxiety is less. I can't take antidepressants(side effects), so it has worked for me. Also my doses have been brought down significately. It works for me and even though I still have anxiety it's low enough to deal with. I would love to be med free but I realize it is not a possibility at this time in my life. Good luck to all.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #14
(female)

alise1980 HB User
Smile Re: I Really Need Ppl's Opinions

I geuss it depends on who you are on wether or not to take xanax everyday. I was on it for awhile when I frist started having panic attacks and then got off of it without a problem, but I had a friend who started taking about a year after I did and she couldn't get off it she would shake and tremble if she missed a day. If you take it everyday that's o.k. just as long as you know you can live without if need be.

Closed Thread