It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
(male)

miniheli HB User
G-force/ stomach pains/ choking feeling/ cant move.

Hi this is my first post on this forum. Im desperate that this forum will help cure this problem I have. Im 17 years old, almost 18 and Im a recent diabetic(type 1). Ive been having this problem as long as I can remember. Heres the problem, when Im in a car when some one else is driving and we are going up hill or down hill, or even if I feel like were going to crash I get these terrible stomach pains. Everyone has them, the butterfly's in your stomach, but they dont even come close to what Im feeling. My stomach tenses up so tightly, I feel like im choking/cant breath and my body locks up, I cant move when im in that state. What can it be? Most of the time's I get this choking feeling is when were not even close to a down hill or up hill decent its right before the car actually comes near it, but immediately after we make it off the ramp , I feel fine, I get back the control of my body and I stop sweeting. Maybe its all in my head. I can limit it a bit, when I'm not thinking of anything, but its very hard to do. My dream is to become a helicopter pilot, and helicopters have alot more g-force then cars. I'm afraid that I cant become a heli pilot because of this happening. Obviously I cant just simply stop thinking all together when Im in the air. Being a heli pilot requires you to be focused. All the people I speak to says im crazy. Am I crazy or do think its something more.

O I almost forgot, when im having these attacks , my stomach hurts like hell! Its' unbelievable pain. Also these panic attacks not only happen in cars, but in boats planes and sadly helicopters Some please help me. I get a milder form of these attacks when im outside in the public. I hate being seen, and get abdominal pains.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
(female)

stephanie867 HB User
Re: G-force/ stomach pains/ choking feeling/ cant move.

I don't have any advice for you, but wanted you to know you aren't alone. I've been getting stomach pains when I'm nervous since I was about 6 years old (which was a LOOOONNNGGGGG time ago).

I hate travelling over bridges and cannot drive over them. Even if my husband is driving, I have to close my eyes. But even KNOWING I have to go over one causes severe stomach pains...I suck on candy canes...peppermint is soothing for your stomach. It doesn't take the pain away, but does lessen it a bit and makes it manageable.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Sounds like you may have an anxiety disorder. This is when your body tricks you into thinking you're in danger when you're not. And for you, the trigger is inclines/descents.

Having type 1 diabetes makes it rough. That's a huge trauma in your life. And anxiety disorders are associated with traumatic experiences.

Have you ever been in a car wreck? Or near airplane/helicopter crash? Is there something in your past where you were traumatized by something that resembles your trigger? It's probably not the g-forces that are making you ill. It's probably more of a psychological episode. BTW, I don't know much about g-forces, but I know the common problem is black outs. Not stomach sensations.

Have you been to a psychiatrist? If it is indeed anxiety, they can put you on some meds that will relax you and suggest treatments that can nullify your trauma.

But with you having diabetes, sure it's not your pancreas? Maybe it's damaged or something? I dunno. Just throwing out ideas. I'm prediabetes and I went through a traumatic episode recently that made me a full blown diabetic for about a 2 week period. And my pancreas hurt. But it was random, not such a specific trigger (which suggests anxiety).

Hope you get to a doctor and let us know your progress.

Shakes

Old 07-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
(male)

miniheli HB User

Firstly. thanks for all the reply As you know im a recent diabetic. It was difficult time in my life but ive been having this problem for almost my whole life. I cant think of a single experience that would traumatize me. I have never been in an accident. Just 1 in a school buss 2 years ago, but I didn't panic at all. I guess I didn't have time to panic or think about what was gonna happen.
When I was a young boy my parents took my to many psychiatrist for other reasons. This was when I was 6-10 years of age (I think). Those psychiatrist visits were not due to incline or descents problems, they were for me acting crazy . I would throw my moms cloths out our 10 story window, and other terrible things, but thats in the past and im a completely different person now. I also have a terrible terrible memory. I can remember past events very well but cant remember things that just took place just 1 minute ago.

I would really be embarrassd to talk to my mom to have her send me to a psychiatrist.

"Sounds like you may have an anxiety disorder. This is when your body tricks you into thinking you're in danger when you're not. And for you, the trigger is inclines/descents."

Maybe. But when im in this state of panic, I know im not gona die or crash, but, well it just keeps me at shock. O ya, heres something that might be good info. When I play my xbox game "need for speed" which is a racing car game. Evrytime I see inclines or descents in the game my body freezes as well. weird huh.

"But with you having diabetes, sure it's not your pancreas?"

Good thought but I doubt it, since I had this problem before I had diabetes.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

You say you were in a bus accident. Just because you did not panic does not mean you weren't traumatized. Do you remember what feeling you had? Helplessness? Confusion? These are traumas.

Panic disorder is something that happens after a traumatic event, not during (if you're not previously dx'd with it). For example, I witnessed a guy having a seizure. I was the first on the scene (at work) and I did not panic in the least bit. However, I was consumed with helplessness, which my therapist helped me discover. After that, several other minor stressors put me over the edge and threw my hormones out of wack, causing me to develop panic disorder, diabetes, and Cushing's syndrome within a 2 week period. It didn't help that I had radioactive treatment months before for a thyroid disorder. Your diabetes will mess up your hormones like that, too.

After being treated, my hormones are back under control and my panic disorder has dissipated (except for this horrible depersonalization--be thankful you don't have that).

There's no shame in going to a psychiatrist. Remember, physiological as well as psychological problems cause these disorders. You may have a chemical imbalance, which is a physiological problem. You didn't ask for those genetics, they just kinda happened. Have you taken any online depression/bipolar/mania tests? You may want to think about it. They can suggest whether you may have these tendencies.

Everything you're saying suggests anxiety/panic. Worse thing that can happen is you go to a psychiatrist and he says you don't have it. Best thing, he does dx you and then you get treatment. What's embarrasing about feeling good?

Shakes

Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
(male)

miniheli HB User

So even if I didn't feel like I was traumatized by that accident, I really was? Also somebody getting hit by a car and flipped into the air a couple of times. Since were talking about these disorders maybe its a good time to bring something else up. I have tendencies to do things over and over again. If I don't I feel like something bad is gona happen. I didn't go to any therapist to discuss this problem because I learned how to control it.

The accident and the person getting hit cant be part of it because I had this panic symptoms since I was small.

I will try to take one of those online tests you mentioned.

Thanks for the help evryone.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
(male)

miniheli HB User

I took that depression/bipolar/mania test. The test gave me an 18 and it said I have a severe case of it??? How can a online test tell me this?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniheli View Post
The accident and the person getting hit cant be part of it because I had this panic symptoms since I was small.
But you may have already had an underlying problem (chemical imbalance or child abuse/trauma early on) and the accident and the person getting hit (which are very traumatic) could have made it worse. See, traumas come in two forms; small and big. And the thing is, they add up. An accumulation of small traumas can be just as devastating as a big one. And you never know when that one day will come when that tiny, itty-bitty trauma is one too many, then you're experiencing flashbacks, panic disorder, dissociation. That's how this thing works. Terrible, huh?

Your tendencies to do things over and over again is a classic sign of obsessive compulsive disorder. According to the DSMIII:
Compulsions: repetitive and seemingly purposeful behaviors that are performed according to certain rules or in a stereotyped fashion...designed to produce or prevent some future event or situation.

Testing high on that self-test is a good indication, along with the information you provided, that you have a psychological disorder. It may be caused by physiological problems. It may be caused by trauma. Only way to truly know is to find a decent psychiatrist that can treat you. And when you overcome the fear of seeing the psychiatrist and he/she starts to treat you, you'll feel better. Then you'll wonder why you put it off in the first place!

Let us know how you're doing.

Shakes

Last edited by ShakesMcThyroid; 07-26-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
(male)

miniheli HB User

Thanks for reply. I don't know when I can go to a psychiatrist but ill try. Ill ask my consoler in school. Again thanks for all the help.

Closed Thread