It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
(male)

skygazer629 HB User
Panic Medication Advice - Help me. What should i take? I take Xanax XR 2MG and more..

Hi, This is my first time posting on this board. I wondered if anyone could give me advice on what really works for them for anxiety that's taking or taken stuff similar to me.

Im 25 and currently take Xanax XR 2MG in the morning. I've done that for about a year. It drops my level of anxiety to the point Im not freaking out the entire day. I'm usually less stressed evening hours, so the 6-8 hours of effectiveness i seem to get from it, seem to be enough most of time.

I also take short acting .5mg tablets. Oddly sometimes I'll just take .25mg or .5mg of those and that feels like it has such a more pronounced effect than the XR 2 MG, and calms me down enough that I can function, go outside, and do stressful things. Some days i don't take any short acting tablets, some days i'll take up to 2. I also take Toprol ER 25mg.

This combination of drugs is the only thing that's ever really helped me. I've gone to counselling for many months, which was barely if helpful at all. I've taken SSRIs in the past, like paxil for a year, and lexapro for a year. Paxil might have helped me a tiny bit (plus a weight gain of 80 pounds which took me forever to lose). Lexapro felt like it did nothing. I've also taken Welbutrin. That's made me feel even worse.

Lately I went to a doctor, not a psychiatrist, to get my toprol refilled and she went off on me on how I take way too much Xanax and its not healthy and that I should start taking Zoloft and wrote me a prescription for that. I don't think I'm going to, considering ive had nothing but bad side effects and virtually no help from previous SSRIs in the past. Plus she's not a psychiatrist.

My current level of functioning is such that I'd say I'm marginally agoraphobic. It's a struggle for me to go out and do things and I usually only accomplish that because of taking xanax. I haven't worked in about a year now and the idea of working freaks me out and often makes me not perform well in a job interview or not pursue many things because I think I wouldn't be able to handle it. I get dizzy, light headed, feel like I'm freaking out, and need to get out of the situation i'm in, etc, etc. I got a jobcall this week regarding a job I didn't think I would perform well in, and rather than turn the guy down on the phone, I had to email him back, while on extra xanax, to turn him down because I was so anxious and uncomfortable about it.

I don't think I'm depressed at all except for depression resulting from this anxiety. I think that's why something like Welbutrin made me feel worse. It made me feel more active and into things (which is less-depressed), but that resulted in my anxiety level sky-rocketing.

Okay that was a long post.
This scenario sound familiar to anyone else and would they recommend any other medications? Or maybe something to add in? I'd go to a psychiatrist and ask, but it'd be a struggle to really afford that right now. Im not against taking something else like Zoloft or some other type of anti-anxiety med, but Im hesitant to take another SSRI when I feel like they've never done anything productive for me. Sometimes I think I should just take extra xanax a lot more than I do, because it really does help in my level of functioning, but I worry about getting addicted to it and taking too much.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User
Re: Panic Medication Advice - Help me. What should i take? I take Xanax XR 2MG and mo

Well, my opinion..... I think you should consider trying another SSRI in combination with your xanax. Or condider changing to Klonopin. Klonopin lasts longer in your bodu therefore taking less each day. I too could never take SSRI as I had bad reactions in the past.

I was on Klonopin for a while and found that although it gave me relief from my anxiety it also indused depression.

There are many SSRIs out there and you have only tried a few. I would consider trying again and again until you get it right.

I did find one a couple that I liked. One is Celexa but became very tired and the one that really loved was Prozac but had to come off due to another health issue that was preventing my body to accept SSRIs.

With Celexa I was off Klonopin in 5 weeks. When I stopped the celexa I was still off Klonopin for months. Now I only take it as needed as I am on other medication that makes me very anxious.

Other things you can try are The Linden Method, which when I first used my panic attacks stopped.

Closed Thread