It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
(male)

Boston George HB User
What is the best medication for severe panic disorder? Help please ;-(

I been on Zoloft for 2 years now and it doesn't seem to be workingb anymore. I'm already up to 150mg. Does anybody know of anything better for severe panic disorder. i'm really struggling again. Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Boston George:
Lizineedofhelp (12-31-2010)
Old 02-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
(female)

becca6772 HB User
Smile Re: What is the best medication for severe panic disorder? Help please ;-(

I don't like Zoloft at all! I am on klonopin and I take one at night and it calms me and then the next day, I am still pretty calm. I had a hard time driving and riding, I would want to jump out of the car because I felt like I couldn't breath. I got to where I couldn't be around a crowd. I finally just stayed home every chance I got which depressed me! Prozac helped me at first then I came off of it and when I tried to get back on it, it seemed like the panic attack were worse. I would definatly talk to your Dr. about Klonopin and maybe even see a therapist that can help you deal with the panic attacks. What triggers an attack for you? What happens when you have a panic attack? If you are where you can take Klonopin during the day and night that would help. I can't take it during the day because I work with 17 kids and it makes me sleepy about 2 to 3 hours after it is in my system. But as long as I am moving and busy the sleepy feeling doesn't hit me. My Dr. told me that klonopin stays in your system longer then Xanax. I hope you reply to this post , I would like to help with any suggestions that i have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
(male)

Boston George HB User
Re: What is the best medication for severe panic disorder? Help please ;-(

Hi,
I can't even tell what triggers my attacks for me, I wish I could! But when I do get them my heart starts racing I get so hot and sweaty, and I feel like I can't breathe. Its feels like Im going to die. I have been on the Zoloft for 5 weeks now and I still get the attacks. I work in a office so it really wouldn't matter if i was a little sleepy I will ask my doctoe about
the klonopin, I have heard a lot of people do well on that. I have been staying home a lot latley and I cant stand it anymore. I just want to feel normal again, you know?

Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
(female)

KatChat HB User

The best meds I've found for my panic attacks are the SSRI group. An SSRI takes several weeks to get to a theraputic level, but its worth the time and effort. Any of the Benzo's are just a quick fix, in and out of your body within hours. Don't worry relief will come, you just have to find the right combination of meds that will work. Hang in there!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
(female)

becca6772 HB User

Another thing that I can tell you is stop all caffine! Caffine is the enemy for people with panic attacks. I can't remember if I mentioned a tea (no caffine) that I have found that helps keep me calm. You can find it at gerocery stores where you will find the other tea. It is called sweet dream and one is called sleepy time. They have a chamomile herb in it. It just really relaxes me. I wouldn't take it with something else that would make you sleepy then you would be extra sleepy. If I drink the tea , I will wait at least 4 hours before I take my Klonipin. Also ask someone in the pharmacy if you can drink the tea and take the zoloft at the same time. Also if the zoloft isn't helping talk to your Dr. about trying something else. Another word of advice and this is easier saying than doing at first but your panic attacks are probaly always on your mind. Put it in your head that you are not going to dwell on them anymore and that you are not dying. IF your Dr. thought that you were, he would have told you. When you feel your heart start racing again, your going to have to tell your self, "stay calm, this will pass, its just a panic attack, it will pass." Take deep breaths. Trust me I know how you feel. I have been there. I was at a christmas church program and the place was packed, all of a sudden with no warning, my heart started racing and I started sweating and I really thought that I was about to dye in front of all those people. I got up and walked out and my husband followed me and talked me threw it. You do definatly need something like klonipin to help you stay calm until you can realize that you are bigger than your panic attacks. I really hope you get better. I will say a prayer for you!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
(female)

becca6772 HB User

one more thing, in responce to katchat's comment about benzo's, not sure if Klonipon is one but it stays in you system for a long time and it keeps me calm from the night I take it to the next day. I recommend it along with another ssri if that is what you choose to do. If you continue to search this thread you will find some post from stevegn that have alot of good advice...maybe you can find his post and learn some things from him. He talks about a type of therapy that helps you deal with your panic attacks. I think there is a way you can look up post by looking up a username.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:38 PM   #7
(male)

Boston George HB User

Thank you very much, I will ask my doctor the klonopin. I just got back from the ER again, and the sent me home. But I can't keep going on like this. I have just got the chamomile tea actually, thats funny you suggessted it ;-) I just hope this zoloft works better than this. I thank you for your prayers. I'm sure I'll talk to you again.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

j2006 HB User

Boston George,

As you know I am on Zoloft but I do take Klonopin (.5 mg a day) as well. I have to tell you - as I have been on and off this med for 2 years - It does help. It is the longest acting benzo out there. But I do not recommend this be the only thing you take. I had suffered twice very serious depression when on klonopins alone. It is a drug that alot of people become dependent on. So please be careful with Klonopin. Again it does work. It is a wonderful medication and if you need a little something to get you through the work day at times or to help in leading a "normal" life then I would recommend it. But try giving the Zoloft longer and if that doesn;t seem to help then try another SSRI. Like Prozac which is another favorite of mine.

Take care of you!

Jane

Old 02-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
(male)

Boston George HB User

Jane,

I will the Zoloft some more time. I appreciate your help. I am going to ask my doctor about the Klonopin. Right now I take 100mg of Zoloft and 1mg of Ativan too. But that makes me sick sometime and does not seem to work. I seem to be nervous all day and feel like something bad is going to happen to me. I hate being me right now. I am going to call my doc tomorrow and tell her its not working and that I need something stronger. But again, thanks for your advice.

George

Old 02-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User
Smile Re: What is the best medication for severe panic disorder? Help please ;-(

Boston,

I'll tell you what worked for me. My panic attacks sound A LOT like yours. I went to the ER no less than 12 times in a span of a month and a half. I was calling the squad every other day it seemed. NOTHING worked right away. What finally did the trick was Lexapro and Xanax. Lexapro is a long term medication that takes up to four weeks to have its full affect, which seems like an eternity when you're going through what we are. They gave me Xanax for the short term because its faster acting, but not a long term treatment. After about two months of going to the ER, I finally stopped having panic attacks. I went all of 2007 without a single attack. Now I'm having them again after getting off of the Lexapro, so needless to say, I've started it back up. They weren't nearly as severe this time due to me knowing what they were, but I still clearly need medicated.

I know everybody has something different work for them, but this was the best combination for me, and again, ours sound very similar with all the trips to the ER. Good luck, hope it was helpful, and that you're able to beat these things too!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
(male)

Boston George HB User

That sounds exactly like mine! I will mention the Lexapro to my doc. I cant take this stuff anymore. I know you know how I feel. Good luck, let me know how you feel after yo get back on the lexpro. take care and thanks for your help.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:19 AM   #12
(female)

fluffymonster HB User

Boston George,
I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues with panic attacks. I have a panic and anxiety problem as well. I have been on Effexor XR since I was 14 and I am 20 now. It started to work immediately and I no longer have panic attacks, except for on the rare occasion. The one draw back to Effexor is that if you decide to stop taking it you have to be weaned off slowly other wise you'll get withdrawal symptoms. I have had weird headaches associated with symptoms of withdrawal after not taking it for only 3-4 days. So if your doctor does decide to put you on Effexor than I would to to him/her about all the side effects. I do not see a therapist but from what I hear it can really help for some people. Good luck in finding the right medication and getting better.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
(female)

becca6772 HB User

Boston George,
Have you been to the DR. yet? Well I do agree with alot of the people that have given you advice with your panic attacks being so severe, you probably would do better with something like lexopro and Klonipin or effexor and Klonopin. Mine are not as severe ANYMORE. SO the klonipin works for me by itself. Also, like I said before I didn't realize that the caffine was making it worse. So now , I either don't have any caffine at all or very little (if I can't get a caffine free drink) That has really helped. Also with some books and tapes that I have listen to, the book was by Angela Brittan, a christain self help book and the tapes were Lucinda Basset. My biggest problem was with driving too far or riding with someone else. Now at this time I am taking the Klonipin if I am riding somewhere with someone or if I need to drive a little farther then I usually do. But when I first started having panic attacks, which the first one was driving to my kid's school, I didn't understand them and I didn't understand what was going on so I was scared to drive too much because I was scared of another one.THen the fear became with more things. If one thing in my body started feeling weird, I would panic! I didn't know how to control the panic so it would go into a full blown panic attack. {REMOVED}ANother time I was in a church full of people at a CHristmas eve program and the man that was singing started looking blurry so again, I got scared and then my body started feeling funny adn had a panic attack. So those times and more times then that, I didn't know what was going on so it would cause me to panic. Now when I feel funny or that something just isn't right, I tell myself, ok, its a panic attack, I try to talk my self out of it. THe worst thing to do when you feel like something is wrong is think " oh no! Something is wrong with me!" that fuels the fire! All of this is easier said than done but it takes time and practice. I'm glad you got the chamimile tea. How is that working for you? Other tips are to take deep breaths in from your nose and let it out threw your mouth. Are you stressed at work? Sometimes there is realy no reason that they happen. Just that something in your brain isn't connecting to all the right stuff and making you panic. So that is when you also need the Meds. to level everything out. The zoloft just may not be the right thing for you, so maybe you could talk to your Dr. about a different one like the lexopro or effexor. I feel like you are determined to get back to normal so I know you are going to get over this. If you could find some self help books at the Library that deal with Panic attacks, that is one step. keep me informed! I'm saying a prayer for you tonight. I know how you feel, its not fun at all and people who don't have them, can't really understand what you are going threw. You wonder , why does this have to happen to me and why can't I feel normal like everyone else. You will, You just need the right combination. Hope you have a good day!

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-07-2008 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Don't discuss using prescription medication that was not prescribed for your use. Ms_Mod

Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #14
(male)

Boston George HB User

yes I went to my doctor today, we decided before to change to a different medication, to try a higher dose of the Zoloft first. If i feel no difference in a week or two then i will try something else. I feel a little better, but I just have this creepy feeling that I could just die at any second and it scares the heck out of me. i have had so many heart tests to rule out anything to do with my heart but I feel like they may have missed something. Which I know is crazy but I cant help it. I have a birthday next week and all I want to do is to be able to have fun with my friends and family on that day and not worry about dying on my 27th birthday. It really sucks to go through this. Thanks for all your help though. It means a lot.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

hey boston, i also just went to my doc yesterday, and while he prescribed me klonopin, he told me straight up that i have to talk to a shrink, as they would be better off prescribing something for the anxiety,cause he doesn't do that as opposed to a normal doc with the " try this, then try this if that don't work have fun" I was mad that he wouldn't prescribe me a new SSRI to try, but today i realize i'm better off, since i already been off all anxiety meds for 6 months, but my other doctor before him really didn't have a clue and it was the trial and error for a few months, this med, that med. LOL of course none of the meds worked, BUT the withdrawals sure did! I guess i was just hoping for some med relief in the short term, thinking i could just band aid it and try to live any resemblance of a normal life. I know that the right thing to do is see a psych, as they have seen it all before. It's just the worried of going to talk to one, you know? I never thought things would come to this! cause i always think of stuff like that and crazy people! But i guess i am crazy in a way! even though i don't feel crazy! just feel like i never outgrew my shyness from a child. I wish you luck man, and hope you get better!

Last edited by Lourage; 02-12-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Closed Thread