It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

Tambeth66 HB User
Need help with panic attacks feel like im having a nervous breakdown

hello im new here and would appreciate any advice to help with panic attacks...they are getting worse and worse i have social anxiety and have panic attacks daily now...i feel like i am having a nervous breakdown one of the biggest fears i have is driving my husband is an excellent driver and yells at me for not being able to drive i panic and just sit in traffic sobbing i feel so overwhelmed i am now feeling like i will passout while in traffic and that terrifies me... i know i need help but im too afraid to drive to go to psychologist... i dont have money for cabs...and im so housebound i have no friends..we dont live near family so basically i am all alone

Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User
Re: Need help with panic attacks feel like im having a nervous breakdown

I'm in the same boat as you, i don;'t know what it is, it snot even fear of crashing! i just panic being locked ina car with no escape, especially on open roads/highways where there are no traffic lights to stop so i can 'recharge' so to speak. Most of the time i'm laying back as far into the seat as possible grabbing on to things and just holding on lol it sucks. This even happens when somebody else is driving! heck i can't even drive myself cause of it, and i'm a guy! so that sucks.

I just visited my doc today and he didn't want to prescribe me any long term anti-anxiety medications ( such as SSRI) my old doctor did though! But this one said flat out to go see a psych, as they would know whats going on better and that i need somebody to talk to. easier said then done though! I even said how scary it's ging to be for me to go see a shrink and his response was "why" UMM cause people with social anxiety and agoraphobia don't like leaving there houses Dr.bozo! and especially don't like answering a million questions about things from the past in a face to face meeting with a psych! he did end up giving me a script for Klonopin, so maybe those will help me get better enough to see a psych. Although i don't even know what kind to see? just a therapist? a Psychiatrist a psychotherapist? I'm confused!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Lourage HB User

speaking of nervous breakdowns i always had this feeling that i have had one in the past, and that isn't even the real me, it's the nervous breakdown me that took over my body. Could explain why i'm so out of my mind with all this anxiety , hypochondria and other related things. LOL i know that can't be the case though, cause i have seen my mother have a few nervous breakdown in the past, and let me tell you they are not pretty! Talking things that make no sense! not sleeping, saying the most random and scariest stuff. One time she even took me and my sister during one ( we were too young at the time to even know what was going on and drove up to brooklyn to stay with my fathers relatives, LOL without even telling anybody! She takes lithium though and everything has been fine for the past 10 years, but every so often the medication stops working, or she gets used to it and another breakdown is imminent.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

sarahsaintjohn1 HB User

Hello,
I have dealt with panic attacks and anxiety off and on for years and i am only 24. I managed to graduate college but after starting my own business things have been rough. I have a relationship ending and am moving back home. My anixiety has been worse than ever these days. I would recommend to you that you talk to your doctor about a long term approach and something to help you short term. I take Cymbalta for long term help and Klonopin for short term relief. I quit taking the Cymbalta recently and realized now how much it helped me, so be sure not to stop taking it when you feel better. With the help of both appraoches I am confident that I will soon be able to continue life being happy and not how I feel now .... mainly because I steered away from my treatment approach and felt I did not need the long term help. I obviously do as leaving the house is a task for me now. Its a tough thing for those who do not have severe anxiety to understand the condition. But with the RIGHT doctor (as I had one who was 100% against benzos) and the right medication and/or therapy, you will feel better. Find the right doctor whom you feel comfortable with and comfortable talking to and you will fin relief.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
(female)

ChandaM HB User

Wow, Im going through the same thing right now, I feel like Im just losing it! Ive had panic attacks on on off for years and right now Im going through a lot of changes, even good ones and it causes panic and anxiety.

Closed Thread