It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

Panicky Penny HB User
Unhappy Fear of Getting Sick--Please Help :(

Hello All,

I am new here and just needed to find someone who can understand what I am going through. Hopefully, someone here can...

I am a 30 year-old woman who has on and off suffered from anxiety. I can remember clearly being much younger (as early as 9 years old) and becoming fixated or obsessed over something I could not control and being able to ONLY think about that thing. I have always been able to overcome it and live an otherwise normal life when my anxiety doesn't strike. However, lately, it's been on and FULL FORCE. I also find that my attacks happen a lot more frequently.

Anyway, my latest issue, which has always been an underlying issue for me, is a fear of getting sick. Any little pain or ache that I have I immediately assume is something very serious or dangerous. I tend to get a little lightheaded from time to time and so I have really started to limit what I do and the places I go to (almost like agoraphobia) for fear that I will get sick while I am out somewhere. I also am constantly at the doctor's office looking for reassurance that NOTHING is wrong but recently I've even been questioning whether the doctor is right or not. I recently was diagnosed with IBS after having some issues going to the bathroom and had to go through an endoscopy and a colonoscopy which also showed I had H Pylori. I just finished my treatment for that but now I am worried that I have something more serious and am constantly looking for symptoms!!!

When I try to talk to myself logically and tell myself that NOTHING is wrong and that I am over-reacting I immediately get nervous and think to myself, "well what if I'm NOT over-reacting and something IS wrong and this is my body's way of telling me?" and the vicious cycle starts all over again

I really feel so helpless at this point. I am a newlywed and ever since our wedding I feel like I do nothing but cry and "feel sick".

I don't know what to do. I am seeing a therapist and that is helping but I really feel like this is spiraling out of control AND FAST.

Is there anyone out there who knows what I am going through and can offer advice?

Thank you so much...

Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
(female)

justumn HB User
Re: Fear of Getting Sick--Please Help :(

Hi Penny, I too am new. When I read your post I was wondering if you were my daughter. Your story is so much like hers, so you are definitely not alone. My daughter is 31 years old and newly married. Her life also revolves around fear of disease and dying. Her root fear is feeling out of control. For instance, if she would have to be in hospital or waiting for something out of her routine. Some of her therapy has included picturing herself in those situations and playing them out to their conclusion. Picturing the necessary steps she would take given a situation like canser. Also remembering the times that she really was sick and that nothing was nearly as dificult as her fears. Her husband has also "forbidden"her to go on the computer to look for any disease symptoms. Her diet also makes a diference to her anxiety level. And she has to be diligent in taking her medication.
I am so sorry for your heavy load and wish it would help for me to tell you that chances are you will die of very old age and you have a bright and promising future ahead of you. To grab it and enjoy it. My prayers are with you my dear.
justumn

Old 05-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

Panicky Penny HB User

Thank you so much. Your reply has definitely helped me and I think I will also look into discussing the "playing out" situation with my therapist as well. I am not on medication however and wanted to know if it really helped your daughter to be on it. I am afraid to try it for fear of a "reaction".

I have all of the same issues as your daughter though it sounds like. Thank goodness my husband is so patient and understanding as is your son-in-law.

God bless and thank you for your prayers. I will say a prayer for your daughter as well.

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-16-2009 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #4
(female)

justumn HB User

Dear Penny, my daughter can barely funtion without her medication. I think the brain is every bit as complicated as any other organ, so when things are not working the way they are meant to. you treat it like you would if you have dibetes or any other physical disease. And thats what the medication does. Gives you the chemicals or seritom or whatever is that out of balance so that we are capable to live in a more normal process of thinking.
I struggle with chronic depression and think it may be time to reevaluate the meds I'm on. It helps me gain insight into some of the issues that I seem to get stuck in and obcess about, when my brain works more normally.
Thanks for your care and prayers for my daughter.
Hope yuour week goes well.
justumn

Closed Thread