It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
(female)

LittlePete83 HB User
Panic attacks holding me back!

Hello, all
I'm a 26 year old female trying to get my career going. The only thing standing in my way are panic attacks and anxiety. Twice in the past few months, I have accepted a great job only to be crippled with panic and anxiety when I walk in the door for my first day.
I have been dealing with panic attacks and anxiety for as long as I can remember but nothing like this has ever happened to me. I have started new jobs many times before with just minor, normal anxiety and nervousness.
I feel so alone and useless. Is there anyone out there that has been through something similar?
Thank you so much,
M

Old 09-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
(male)

tattooyu HB User
Re: Panic attacks holding me back!

I have had anxiety all my life, and just recently panic attacks. Not the same reasons as you, but a PA is still a PA.

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) has worked very well in the recent past and am starting it up again with therapist. I had been taking Xanax as needed (not daily) which helped a lot.

I recently started Celexa (Clonazepam) which is making me very sick after only two days. I also was prescribed Klonopin to tide me over until the Celexa kicked in and that works better than anything else but is addictive.

Good luck!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-16-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Please allow the thread starter to get their questions answered here. Always start your own new thread to ask your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

LittlePete83 HB User

Thank you so much for your support. You have no idea how much this means to me to have people who have been there (and who are there).

I've been on meds for the past three or four years as well as seeing a therapist. I have been on a combination of Prozac (10-30mg over time, now I'm down to 10mg), Clonazepam (.25mg -- I was at .5mg not too long ago) and .25mg of Xanax when needed. I spoke with my therapist today who suggested seeing my psychiatrist to raise my medication levels. I have an appointment with both next week.

The only problem is I pretty much have to make a decision by tomorrow at 7:30AM as to whether or not I am able to take this job. I know that the first day will be mostly HR stuff, so really all I have to do is show up. It's just a battle getting out the door and into the office.

I was laid off twice in four months so I think part of me is afraid of failure. But I know I need to get a job soon since my unemployment doesn't cover much and I have credit card debt and student loans to repay.

So much to think about. Thank you again for your support!
M

Old 09-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
(male)

ExtremelyWired HB User

I have anxiety when being put in any new situation. Iím a contractor, so Iím actually starting a new job almost weekly or monthly and still to this day I have anxiety over it and Iíve been at my job 24 years. Now after I start the job, usually by the second or third day Iím fine with it, as it is not a new situation anymore. You will probably feel the same way (more comfortable) after a few days. So just be glad you are not me and have to start a new job 12 times or more a year

Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

dodedoo HB User

Hey hun,

You are not alone. I too have been dealing with panic attacks for the past years (I am 23 now). Whenever I start something new my anxiety level is way high. Right now I am starting a new job and starting another semester at school and was going through issues in my relationship. A lot of things at once. So my anxiety is really high and I am having panic feelings. For the most part somehow I am able to push through them, although I feel VERY uncomfortable. I just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one experiencing these feelings. I guess I have no advice. I am starting to see a therapist again so I hope that helps. Maybe you should.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
(female)

LittlePete83 HB User

ExtremelyRight -- I can't imagine what it must be like for you. You are so strong to be able to push through every day. Your persistence is inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing.

dodedoo -- Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone. Starting a job is stressful for everyone but for people with PD and anxiety, starting a new job can be 10,000x harder. Congrats on pushing through and working through your anxiety to get through school and work.

And an update on me: I ended up not going today to the new job. I emailed the HR manager (I wish I had called but I was a little too nervous to talk to her) and told her that for personal reasons I couldn't take the job. It was a combination of PD, anxiety, and the fact that this job would be hitting home on a daily basis. Basically, the job wound entail informing people of foreclosure procedures starting on their house. Two years ago, my family lost their house due to a bad investment. After careful thought, I decided this job may be a daily reminder of my family's struggles.

I'm not going to let any of these setbacks hold me back anymore. I am going to get help from anyone and everywhere. I plan on seeing my therapist and psychiatrist more, yoga at least three times per week, cardio three times per week, acupuncture, spiritual healing, prayer, meditation, and a healthier diet. I hate this anxiety and I plan on kicking its a**! Who's with me?

Closed Thread