It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
(male)

matthalc HB User
Panic Disorder

I am meeting with my Doctor on Monday and I would like to know if there are newer medications we can try. Right now I am taking 10mg of valium twice a day. I also have been taking 300mg of Effexor XR each day. I quit the Effexor one month and believe I am past the detox. My wife is not very happy with me but I needed to see how I would function without the medication and rely on meditation and positive thinking.

It is not going very well. I own three businesses which have prospered more in the past month probably more because I am a jerk when it comes to business. I dropped my benevolence policies and it is all about doing the projects and getting paid. No more fun.

This is a 180 from where I was going and question the medication. Are there new information about Effexor which would prompt me to try a new treatment? I do not feel depressed, I do however feel like crap most days. I have to keep myself up and positive and pay no attention to the negatives that attack. I do not drink which is how I medicated the attacks 15-10 years ago.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
(male)

alexanderaf HB User
Re: Panic Disorder

Did you quit the Effexor a month ago? Or have you only been taking it for a month? I am on Zoloft, and it has been working well for me.

You can use Valium to keep the panic attacks at bay, and some people do that for the long term successfully, but SSRI anti-depressants do not have the addictive properties of benzodiazepines and are the safest to use. They are also highly effective in most people.

The good news is there are some new anti-depressants that are in the process of getting approved by the FDA that are effective and showing promise of not having side-effects. One such (currently available in Europe ) is Agomelatine (Valdoxan). It is a norepinephrine dopamine disinhibitor, and it also the 'first' melatonergic anti-depressant. It increases melatonin in the brain to promote good, healthy sleep. Users in trials did not have side effects with using it or from withdrawing from it, and reported remarkable sleep! It shows promise in treating anxiety disorders as well. I think once it's FDA approved I'll be all over it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 10-09-2009 at 03:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #3
(male)

matthalc HB User

Thank you for the response. I quit the effexor a month ago. Now I hold to meditation and noticing the "ants" in my daily life. ANTS is from Dr. Amen (automatic negative thoughts). My only complaint and I do not dwell on it is the joint pain. It moves around and it is trying to make me feel much older than I am. I played varsity sports, soccer since I was 3 and played into college. When it comes to most things I have no fear. This is why I believe the panic attacks take their toll. I can mentally distract my focus from the panic attacks but the physical symptoms sometimes complete their cycle. I get 2-5 per day and I would like it to stop. A couple times a week, I do get peace for a few hours and most times more as long as I am left alone. Part of my living is spent selling and feel comfortable speaking to large groups. I have sold to fortune 100 companies and am pretty good with the sales game. I just want a bit more peace. Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
(female)

saccatscan HB User

That's a lot of panic attacks and you seem resistant to meds. I hear depression and grandiosity. And frustration at not being able to "control" the panic attacks. Have you been assessed for bipolar disorder? A good psychiatrist or other mental health provider can determine if you have bipolar disorder which is often comorbid with a host of other psychiatric disorders. Hopefully, you will get an accurate diagnosis and medication (s) to provide relief. Cognitive behavioral therapy is invaluable, and it sounds like you are aware of your need to lower your stress level and are using some helpful strategies. Best of luck to you in managing a chronic and treatable health condition.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
(female)

victoria1982 HB User

Hi Matthalc-
Although I can't offer any new information about Effexor, I did want to say that what saccatscan is saying about CBT is soooo true. You do indeed have a lot of responsibilities in your day to day life and we all know we each have a breaking point. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be constantly felling the way you do AND being unable to get relief from meds... so frustrating. BAsically I absolutely second saccatscan's advice, look into a psychiatrists or mental health prof that knows about or can help you with CBT/psychotherapy.

Good luck!

Victoria.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

Hi Matt,
Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing? Looks like several more people have come by and added advice that is solid. Have you looked into or given cbt a try yet? It is really useful stuff and as I said before the TEA form exercise is real helpful for alleviating stress and anxiety.

Closed Thread