It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

wayconfused HB User
Question What do you do when you feel

What do you do if you feel anxiety setting in or feel like you are about to have an anxiety attack?
I have separation anxiety with my Mom and of course she can't be home 24/7and I don't know how to control it better so I can let her leave without worrying constantly.
When she goes to work I am ok because I know she is safe there and if she doesn't show up they will phone looking for her, where as if she went out with friends and they went missing no one would know for a while...And when she goes to work I know when she is going to be home, and I always meet her after work at the bus stop, but if she goes out with friends who knows when she will be back and I constantly worry untill she fets back home.

I don't think I have ever had an anxiety attack, but when I found out Mom is going out the other day I felt like I couldn't breath for a few minutes (kind of like breathing through a flattened straw) then it sort of went away. Was that an anxiety attack? I was so worried I couldn't sleep much that night. She still hasn't gone out and I don't know when she is going to go, so this worries me even more. So what I would like to know is, what do you do to keep calm when you really feel like you are about to lose it?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kcgage HB User
Re: What do you do when you feel

Hi, I find the best thing to do is to try and occupy your mind. Read a book or magazine, do a crossword puzzle, go for a walk, that kind of thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
(male)

Escotk HB User

Hey there, what you are feeling IS a panic attack and it's not uncommon to worry about the people you love :P I mean who doesn't? So you're definitely not alone.

What I would suggest you do the next time something like that happens is that you tell yourself comforting and positive statements such as "My mom is safe and she'll be home soon" etc. You're basically gonna try to rationalize the situation to yourself.

Ask yourself is there really a reason for me to be worried? This technique is highly effective when dealing with irrational problems and you should really try it.

I hope I was of some help!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

JNoel24 HB User

I suffer from severe panic attacks, but I have been doing therapy for the last 5 weeks and I've learned some pretty awesome stuff. What works for me is deep breathing relaxation exercises. Basically, sit in a comfortable chair or lay on your bead with your head slightly elevated. Take in a deep breath through your nose and fill up your belly instead of your chest, kind of like pushing your belly button out. Then when you exhale do so through your mouth and bring your belly button in towards your spine. I typically do inhale/exhale then count "1", then inhale/exhale "2", and I do this until I get to 12 then go back from 12 to 1. I find that this makes me feel very euphoric, so I hope this helps you in some way or another.

Closed Thread