It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
(female)

JennaS HB User
Spike in Blood Pressure

Hi,

Does anyone know if panic attacks can cause high spikes in blood pressure?
Like to 168/101? I;ve had that happen several times and went to the ER and it usually goes back down to normal once I am there for a little while. I'm also having major problems adjusting to my thyroid medicine. And none of this started until I got out of whack with my thyroid.

Has anyone else had problems with their blood pressure going up and related it to a panic attack? I think when I take my BP at home and see it high, I might throw myself into a state of panic.

Thanks,
JennaS

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
(female)

ravenal HB User
Re: Spike in Blood Pressure

Hi Jenna- I also have thyroid problems-I started out overactive then did the radioactive iodine and now I have underactive, It has been an awful experience and my blood pressure does the same thing, I also get panic attacks and yes my blood pressure goes up for a while- are you taking any meds?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
(female)

JennaS HB User

Hi Ravenal,

I was diagnoised in 2001 with Graves disease after the birth of my son and then had RAI done. That year was aweful trying to get adjusted on my medicine. I finally went of Armour thyroid medicine probably about 7-8 years ago...and finally did very well; until this past August. There was a shortage on the production of Armour and I got ahold of some other brand called USP Thyroid..I didn't immediately put two and two together, but I was having a bad reaction to it. My head was tingling; I had a terrible bout of insomnia
and my family doctor told me he thought it was stress and gave me a sample of Lexapro. I took one tablet and had a terrible reaction. It sent waves of burning pain through my nervous system, I became very weak and had about 20 bouts of diarrhea in about 3 hours. I went to the ER and they said that I was reacting to it...but they weren't too concerned; even though I felt like I was dying. They told me to go to my family doctor the next morning and it took every bit of strength I had to make it there.
Anyhow, to make long story shorter. I was reacting to the thryoid med...as well as the Lexapro. I also went off the charts hyper TSH 0.04. That is when I started having spikes in my blood pressure. I went back on the Armour once I realized that about the USP and unfortunately then I was taking too little of the Armour. I ended up going hypo TSH 19.5 in less than 3 weeks. I finally went to see an Endo. doctor and I am now on Synthroid, but the problem I'm having is that when I start getting anywhere close to normal on my bloodwork TSH 3.0- 1.4...I have began having severe problems with feeling like I'm going hyper. Panic attack feelings...though I am not really sure if they are panic attacks. I know that I kind of freak out when I feel like my blood pressure is high and then I take it and sure enough it is and then I panic more and a few minutes later it is even higher! My blood pressure normally is about 120/80 or a little less even than that; so when it starts to get to 130/90; I can actually feel it in my head. Then it will climb. I have had my bottom number at 150/129! with a 110 pulse. I've gone to the ER about 5 times about my blood pressure and they're not sure what to make of it. Some have said once I get my thryoid straightened out it will settle down;...which I also firmly believe. Others, even my Endo suggested that maybe I am just a person that needs to be on bloodpressure meds. She doesn't seem to believe that I could be having this kind of reaction to my thryoid medicine...but I am certain I am. I went to her last week because the tingling in my head and across my chest and also the dirrhea was coming back terrible...each day getting worse as I took my Synthroid. She told me to stop it for 3 days and she put me on a lower dose. The 3 days I was off the Synthroid I felt great! The tingling in my head and chest stopped. I am also taking Xanax..half of one 0.5 tablet as needed...usually twice a day and I take a Lopressor when my blood pressure goes up really high. I was just wondering how much of the blood pressure spikes are from my own doing/panic attacks...or from not being on the right or correct dosage of thyroid meds. Have you had any of these problems?

JennaS

Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaS View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know if panic attacks can cause high spikes in blood pressure?
Like to 168/101?
Yes it can. Don't worry that is not much of a spike. Certainly you don't need the ER for these kinds of numbers.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

tiffanyhope12 HB User

Hi there,

If it makes you feel better, my blod pressure spikes when I'm having a panic attack. Mine is usually 90/65 or so. One terrifying event was when I went to pick up my medicine and had a panic attack. My medicine wasn't ready, so I checked my BP at one of those free stations and it was 123/76 and my heart rate was 116 (that is high for me, since I am 5' 4" and about 112). The machine said I was hypertensive - of course I knew it was a panic attack, but I still freaked out. I was crying when I got up to pick up my med, begging the pharmacist to reassure me that the BP goes up with stress. She was like "of course it does!" So just wanted to let you know that you are definitely not alone.

I was going to monitor my BP at home, but it would just make me panic more. Every time I go to the doctor, it's fine, so I try not to even look at my BP anymore!

There's a show from the 90's where Alan Alda hosts. It's on the Science channel a lot. The one particular episode was regarding heart disease and anxiety, blood pressure, etc. They did simple studies, for example, Alan Alda was to count backward from, say, 1036. He had to minus 13 and go backwards. So, 1036 - 13 = 1023 and keep going. And he was timed. It showed how even that type of stress spikes the blood pressure. So at least we are normal!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
(male)

unreal HB Userunreal HB User

123/76 is not hypertensive. It is not even high if you have low blood pressure normally.
116 pulse is high but I am sure it went down as soon as you relaxed.
You need to calm down, your pressure is not only OK, it is very good.

Closed Thread