It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2002, 04:28 PM   #1
Inactive

Aster HB User
Angry Grocery Store Anxiety-So Stupid.

...so, for the fifth time, I have mild anxiety as I push my cart up and down the aisles. I want to hurry up and leave. But when I get to the check out the girl
is "learning" and is so slow; she makes mistakes.
I wonder "HOW LONG ARE YOU GOING TO TAKE? I'M IN PSYCHIC PAIN HERE! HURRY IT UP, D**N IT!" but I know
in reality she's calm and I'm envious of that. I feel like screaming at her but I just frown and mumble.
Doesn't anyone else have this agoraphobia? We need
a board for this!!

------------------
Aster

Old 09-03-2002, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

spotty HB User
Whew, I know that feeling all too well. I used to love shopping before all this happened. Now I run in and get what I need and leave. Its horrible. Im getting a lIttle better with it but It comes and it goes. Good Luck.

Oh and yes we are with you. Just think of all of us going through the same thing. You will be ok.

[This message has been edited by spotty (edited 09-03-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2002, 05:36 PM   #3
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi Aster,
I also have grocery store phobia.I LOVED to shop like a mad woman til I began having Panic Attacks and Agoraphobia.Ive never had to run out of a store before but can get impatient quickly especially when someone is taking their sweet A$$ time.I hope things get easier for you soon...

All the best Jasmine

Old 09-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #4
Inactive

Aster HB User
Unhappy

Jasmine, things Won't get better for me soon unless I take aggressive action that will probably cost a lot of money. But I really do not want to spend the rest of the life I have left being a basket case just because I'm grocery shopping or whatever. Just ridiculous.
I wish for you all the best and I hope you also decide to take serious steps to better your life.

------------------
Aster

Old 09-03-2002, 07:49 PM   #5
Veteran

bev52 HB User
Hey Aster, Not sure what you mean by 'serious action,' do you wish to elaborate?
I do know the Gro Mkt/Agoraphobia thing. I DID go running out, ONCE. I pray that never happens again! As far as 'doing' anything more...I think I'm doing all I know to do, for me, right now.
I don't know if this will be of any use to you Aster, but I recently bought two books by Dr Claire Weekes entitled "Hope And Help For Your Nerves," the other, "Peace From Nervous Suffering." They are both wonderful books and very enlightening. They were only $6.99 each U.S. I can't recommend either - over the other, they are equally informative. She describes all of your symptoms and then informs you how to help yourself into self recovery. I really can't praise these books enough.
I also ordered the "Attacking Anxiety & Depression," ($370.00 US),it is a comprehensive, cognitive behavioral-based solution fostering strength, character and self-empowerment course.
It has been very good for me, (especially since I have had a good deal of problems w/anger mgmt, now seems to be under control).
I'm not one to "sit on my hands" and do nothing when I have information set before me, and it's mine for the taking. I am desperately seeking help for recovery...I may never totally recover - but I will die trying!
Hope I've shed some light for you.

Old 09-03-2002, 08:35 PM   #6
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi,
I have all the material that Bev mentioned plus a program through another site.What I learned in counseling was,this is something we have to learn to manage for the rest of our life.We get better but if something stressful occurs in our lives boom its there again...Its something we continuesly have to work on...

Old 09-05-2002, 08:03 AM   #7

Clarita HB User
Hi Aster,
I know just what your talking about, I mentally figure out the fastest way to my car etc... it's awful!!

I have found that if I side track myself I'm a "little" better-- like I think of things that you would never see.. for instance-- a commercial--- push pull or drag it in so we can clear out last years Ferraris sale... or why did Gilligans Island with only 7 people on it have the theme song say "and the rest" for awhile before they added the Professer and Mary Ann... also I notice the younger men who bag the groceries and I think, what is this with this new hair style? They all look like Hummel figurines...

I as you can see really try to distract myself :-)

Old 09-06-2002, 04:31 AM   #8

Dragoness HB User
Im exactly the same, cept i dont have the luck of living on my own, im 16 so when my mum goes shopping i dont have a choice, all i can hear in my head is 'i wana get out of here' and 'i wana get home' with my heart racing like a steam train. just dont know whats happening to me.
I wish u all the best Aster, im sure you'll get better.

Old 09-06-2002, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
yep mes been there too http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif try some breathing exercises at check out think of something nice take care

Old 09-06-2002, 01:59 PM   #10

LadyinNY HB User
Please get Dr. Claire Weekes books!!Twenty years ago I had severe panic attacks which turned into agoraphobia. I couldn't leave my house..I couldn't even go out on my front porch to get the mail. I thought I was going crazy. I suffered like that for "4" years! Then one day I called the mental health clinic and told them to come and get me because I was crazy. (No Lie) They put a doctor on the phone who explained that I had severe panic and agoraphobia and he told me I was NOT crazy. He prescribed imipirine and xanax. Well, once I knew what I was going through had a name, I began to read everything I could find on the subject. Family members were running to the library getting me books..then I purchased Dr. Claire Weekes books, they are wonderful. As a matter of fact I still, to this day, carry her books in my glove box. Every once in awhile when I am feeling anxious, I read acouple of the symptoms paragraphs and I'm fine. I never did take the pills the Dr. prescribed ( I don't even like to take an aspirin). After reading her books, I went on my front porch for the first time in 4 years!!! In a few days, I was back to myself again. I have to say I wouldn't wish agoraphobia on my worst enemy..its a terrible thing to go through but remember this...you are NOT alone and there is help. please read her books...you have nothing to lose except your panic/agoraphobia. If only I knew what it was when I had my first panic attack 20 years ago. Take care and keep us posted.

Old 09-09-2002, 08:47 AM   #11
Inactive

Aster HB User
Cured by a book?? OK, already: I bought that book. I got it on Ebay and just paid by cc over the internet.
THIS I've got to witness: I will be cured by a book.
Anyway, my agoraphobia is mild IN COMPARISON with not leaving my home since, duh, I just drove 300 miles alone to my grandson's birthday party. Then 300 miles back here last night (3 days later) and I am DEAD TIRED. If I hadn't gone my 30 yr old daughter would have berated me terribly. I love my grandson, 3, but come on: 300 miles?? At 80 mph?? I am taking a new drug called Stabilium (as in "stable)" from a blue fish.
I mean, I didn't actually BUY it from a fish; the substance is from a fish. The substance is garum. No side effects, extremely old remedy for many things.
It ain't cheap, people, but between a fish and a book
how can I not be cured?

------------------
Aster

Old 09-09-2002, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Tamsin HB User
Thumbs up

Aster,

Please report back on how the book has helped (or not).

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2002, 11:20 AM   #13

Carla Sue HB User
Hey aster
Have you ever thought of going to the store first thing in the morning or later in the evening. You are almost always guaranteed the place to your self.
I do this most of the time if I can help it.
Good luck with book.

Carla

Old 09-13-2002, 12:34 PM   #14
Veteran

bev52 HB User
Hey Carla,
That's exactly what I do. I never go during the busy hours, unless I have no other choice! I've been thru that too many times.

Aster, I agree w/the LadyinNy. I can't say I'm totally 'cured,' but I have had a completely different out look since I read her books. There's something comforting about the way she describes everything and the fact that she has treated sooooooo many people! I wish I had found her books 20 yrs a go, unfortunately, I was one of those 'wandering in the wilderness' trying to find a doc that didn't treat me like I was from another planet.

Best of luck and let us know what you think of the books.

All I can say is, I may still have problems but I've had them for so many years....maybe it's just gonna take me a little longer.
It DOES take longer to teach an old dog new tricks http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif...I'm proof.

Closed Thread