It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2002, 01:19 PM   #1
(female)

ww23river HB User
Red face Asthma or Panic Attack

Hi, I posted on here awhile back and I thank-you all for your responses. Recently my panic attacks have became so scary and almost impossible to control. I focuss so much on my breathing, I have never had this problem before but as it progresses my breathing is my ultimate concern. Suddenly I'm having attacks that give off the symptoms as asthma. Yesterday I had to leave work, I work with cleaning products, I don't know if that's a trigger, and my breathing became short which caused me to go into a full-blown attack. I rushed to the doctors and he gave me an inhaler. But I don't know if asthma is causing my attacks or my panic attacks are causing asthma like symptoms... Please help...

Old 11-25-2002, 01:47 PM   #2

Crazy in College HB User
Exclamation

I have both anxiety disorder and asthma, and I agree that the symptoms can be confusing at times. The key with asthma is a deep bronchial wheezing, and a very uncomfortable, painful tightening in the chest that will not go away without medication. If you don't have those symptoms, it's probably anxiety. However, if you're concerned, talk to your doctor. He/She will probably do a pulmonary function test, which will show if your lungs are functioning properly. Keep a record of your symptoms so that you have something to show the doctor when you go in for a visit. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2002, 02:17 PM   #3
(female)

spotty HB User
I have alot of the symptoms that you do. I did have a pulmanary function test because of them and it came back ok. They were giving me an inhaler at the er and my doctor said that could make my symptoms worse. I think most of my panic attacks are set off because I am worried about my breathing and pay too much attention to it. I have noticed that sometimes I will get busy doing something and forget all about it and I will feel fine then I will start to focus on it again and it starts the cycle over. I also cant stand to smell any chemicals it is a trigger for me too because I start to think they are poisoning me. (Wierd I know). Check with your doctor just to be sure and set your mind at ease. Hope you feel better soon.

spotty

Old 11-25-2002, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

ww23river HB User
Yeah the anxiety and asthma is very confusing because they both cause extreme breathing difficulties.
I do very much pay too much attention to my breathing and of course I make myself believe that I'm going to die from not getting enough air in my lungs....
I found out that I have an ulcer located in my stomach and it's causing severe indigestion, which causes problems with my lungs. So that could be a trigger also.
When you have breathing problems did you try to put a heating pad on your chest, it really helps for me.
Also, I found out that blowing up a ballon twice a day helps with asthma and deep breathing because it exercises your diaphragm.
I do have to keep myself busy because like you when I'm not doing anything I start thinking about my health and how I could die from these possible diseases and so forth....

Thanks

Old 11-25-2002, 09:59 PM   #5

Crazy in College HB User
Arrow

Drinking warm liquids also helps relax the muscles in your chest. When I was having a lot of problems with my asthma a couple years ago, my doctor told me to drink hot tea or cocoa after having an attack and doing a nebulizer treatment. It helped a lot. Heating pads never worked for me...only made me feel like I was having hot flashes!

Old 12-17-2002, 03:21 PM   #6

Lily0727 HB User
ww23river,

Did the docs actually say that your ulcer triggered off your breathing problems? Did you have symptoms of an ulcer and if you did, what were your symptoms? Never heard of an ulcer triggering off asthma (which I have pretty severely)

Old 01-12-2003, 07:20 PM   #7

haileymichelle HB User
Lightbulb

I have the same problem, and it sucks! I felt normal till about 3 years ago, and it hit me all at once. Like a ton of bricks. Sometimes i just feel like i am gonna die cause i can not breath. Like i can not get that really big deep breath that i need. It takes all i have to breath properly. I get really dizzy, and i feel faint. I get up, and walk around that usually helps, or i stick my head in the freezer, sounds crazy, but it does help me. I believe it is all in a persons head, which it is, and i just try my best to ignore it. Do something, to get your mind off it..

Closed Thread