It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Question ~Panic attacks that wake you up~

Hi, I am new to this Panic disorders forum.

I have a question. I have been having panick attacks that wake me up out of a dead sleep. My heart races and I feel very anxious and restless. It is like I am in flight or fight mode I can't relax no matter what. I will try and go back to sleep and just when I am about out ,my body will jump and the panick starts all over again.

I went to the dr. and he took me off zoloft and put me on effexor which I pray works.

Has anyone else ever waked up from sleeping with a panick attack? I have had them before but never while asleep and waken up to that fear.

Thanks for any replies.
Cattys

Old 08-16-2003, 06:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Hi,
I had the same problem a couple months ago. It happened to me a few nights a week for a couple weeks. I would wake up with my heart racing, trembling all over, and this horrible feeling like I was going to die. I usually ended up at the ER. They would give me Ativan and 10 minutes later I was fine.
Anyway, my Dr. told me it was very common to wake up in the middle of the night with panic/anxiety attacks.

Good luck with your new med. I hope it works for you.
hilery

[This message has been edited by hilery79 (edited 08-16-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Talking

Hilery,

Thank you so much for your reply. It is good to know that I am not the only one this happens to.

These panick attacks are pure hell.

Take care
Cattys

Old 08-16-2003, 07:56 PM   #4

slyJohn HB User
it happened to me several times! but the very first time was the worst panic attack. i woke up and my heart was racing. i stood up and turned on the lights, and i started blacking out! i so thought i was dead. i mean it was gradually getting darker and darker and i could no not see for a couple min but i was still conscious. my parents dragged me to the car and took me to the ER. i was awake and trembling there, and they took a chest xray and did an ekg. all normal. i was put on a 24hr holter monitor and i had the same attacks at night and when the doctor saw them on the monitor he said it was nothing but anxiety. so youre not the only one out there and it's nice to hear from others going through this. mine have since gone away but i still get them during the day.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Janik HB User
A choking feeling woke me up several times. Or I would sleep through an anxiety bout, crying in my sleep, breathing with difficulty and waking my husband.

Old 08-17-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
a sleep disorder such as sleep apnea can cause panic attacks while asleep

Old 08-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #7
Inactive

Equis HB User
I have anxiety nightmares all the time where I wake up in the morning completely humiliated and with my headache, nausea, tingling, chest pain, etc., etc., etc. worse than ever. Sometimes I can't even remember the dream, but I know that's what it is. Maybe that's what's giving you the panic attacks at night? Nightmares? Who knows. Maybe ask your doctor if taking a sleeping pill before you go to bed would help? Good luck!

Kate

Closed Thread