It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

Juliennes HB User
Smile Hi I'm new

Hi. I have been lurking on this board for a couple of weeks and needed to vent. I have been suffering from anxiety since I was a child. It became quite bad after the birth of my son four years ago, but I didn't have a full fledged panic attack until a couple of months ago. I was driving home from a friends house one night and whammo! my heart started racing and my whole body started to break out in a sweat and feel tingly. It came out of nowhere! I got so scared that I pulled over and dialed 911. Of course it turned out that I wasn't having a heart attack as I thought, but they told me it was a panic attack. Well, I figured it was just a one time thing. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Now I have them all the time. I constantly feel like I have some dread disease and look up all of these symptoms on the internet, and I live in fear of having another attack. The littlest thing can set me off. I know tht I am having an attack when it hits, many times while I am driving which is NOT fun, but I just can't calm myself down and make it stop. I have been to the emergency room twice in the last few months for different things I had diagnosed myself as having, and of course they say there is nothing wtong with me aside from anxiety. I am so tired of feeling like this...Well I am sorry this has gotten so long, I just really needed to vent, and most people I try and talk to about this just don't understand. Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 09:44 PM   #2

SCAREDGIRLALWAYSDREAMING HB User
HI and welcome to the board. I am sorry to hear about your panic attacks, I know first hand they are rough, I can assure you that you came to the right place for comfort and questions everyone is wonderful and helpful on this board we are all pretty much in the same boat! I am wondering are you currently taking any medication or doing any deep breathing?
well good luck and stay with us it does wonders! "scaredgirl"

Old 08-31-2003, 04:31 AM   #3

Lizzie101 HB User
As hard as it is, the first thing you've got to do is stop looking up symptoms on the internet! It will only make it WORSE! I truly believe it is our subconscious that causes us these attacks, and the more "negative" data you "program", the worse it will be...Besides, the symptoms of panic attacks are common to almost EVERY dreaded disease, and what good would it do you to add MORE stress right now? You should think about what is happening in your life---RIGHT NOW---that could be causing this stress...major life change, relationship problems, financial problems, etc. ? Chances are...THAT is the real culprit...Take care---and know we are here for you!

Liz

Old 08-31-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
Lizzie is right.
Looking up symptoms on the internet is the worst thing to do...believe me I know from experiance.
We used to have a medical dictionary and it was my best friend...or worst enemy!
I looked up every little twinge I felt, it got so bad that my Husband finally threw it away.

I've had this problem twice in my life, the first time it lasted for almost 7 years and then just went away.
When it came back, I was sure that there was something else wrong with me.
The first one I had after all those years, scared the crap out of me.
Deep down inside I KNEW it was the panic coming back, but I don't want to believe that it had, I was just SURE that it was something else.
I went and had all the tests all over again and there was nothing wrong, it was just the panic again.

For awhile I didn't want to believe that, then my Husband said something to me that made a whole lot of sense.
He said..."Do you really think, that if you had a heart, or lung problem, a brain tumor or cancer and it was left untreated for this long, that you'd still be alive?"
The more I thought about it the more sense it made to me and I knew he was right.

So I would suggest that you make an appointment with a Doctor and tell him what you're feeling and get the help that you need.

Take care and know that you're not alone.

[This message has been edited by Graciecat (edited 08-31-2003).]

Old 08-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
i like you would loog things up on the internet and would have myself convinced that I had the illness and would panic over it for days. Try and stay away from it.

You should go to the dr and maybe they can try you on a antidepressent to help your panic. Somtimes we have to seek help. Exspecially when it make us live in fear and effects our everyday life.

Good luck.
cattys

Old 08-31-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
(female)

Juliennes HB User
Talking

Thanks everyone for your replys.
I have really tried to cut out the internet symptom research, and I have gotten better but I still get sucked in sometimes which is very bad as we all know. I have good days and bad days, today thankfully was a pretty good one.

Unfortunately, I have no health insurance at the moment so I don't think I will be getting to the doctor in the very near future, which I really need to do. My recent visits the the ER were quite costly and I will be paying them off for a while.

It really helps being able to read other peoples' stories and to see that I am not alone, that there are others who go through the same things that I do. When I am not in "panic mode" I can look at things so rationally! Well thanks again for reading.
Best wishes to all!
Julie

Closed Thread