It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2003, 10:53 AM   #1

slyJohn HB User
Post sudden urge to eat all the time

hi all. well within the past couple weeks i all of a sudden have had this very big urge to eat all the time. keep in mind i am a tall young very thin male. been suffering from anxiety for about a year. let me explain a little about how it started. one day i felt this discomfort under my rib cage and started to worry constantly about it even though i had a number of tests that came back normal. i started losing my appetite, several months later i was in the gym where i had my first major panic attack. my heart was racing very fast; these attacks have been going on for a while. also i have been having lots of body twitches all over. over the past couple of weeks i have started to understand that if i ate more, my heart rate seemed to be where i wanted it to be. well i cant stop eating now which is good yet im afraid perhaps it is part of a symptom of a disease my mind keeps telling me i have. i have noticed that i have had this urge to move my legs 24/7. im always shaking them (you know how when you shake them when u sit down after having lots of caffeine). well this happens to me 24/7. my mind is split in too ways and i need help which one is right.

one side of my mind tells me if i keep eating, i will be rewarded and my panic and anxiety will go away. it's saying that i am at the peak of my anxiety. i am beginning to figure out the causes of it and that is why my appetite is so big right now.

the other part of my mind tells me that i have depleted minerals in my body and that is why my legs are shaking and i am so jittery. some disease is depleting my body of its minerals. hypoglycemia comes to mind. i am eating here right now and just finishing a full plate and am still hungry and jittery.

so while i am starting to feel somewhat better, mentally, my physical body has been very jittery and somewhat weak. so i am rather scared right now as to what is going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2003, 01:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cattys HB User
Look at it this way, if any diasese would make you hungry all that time it must be a diasese that is not serious whatsoever. when you loose your appatite that is somthing to worry about. Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

The mind can make us believe anything. you sound like you are obsessing over this and then the signals keep telling the brain that you are hungary.

It sounds like with your legs that you have restless legs. They can be very uncomfortable.

Try and relax whatever it is it sounds like it can be fixed.

Good luck

Old 09-07-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
HBi Sly,
i think you should be checked for thyroid, hypoglycemia,adrenal gland tumours, etc it may not be anxiety

Old 09-07-2003, 05:12 PM   #4

slyJohn HB User
my thyroids were fine when i did my thyroid uptake&scan earlier this year. i want to be checked for hypoglycemia. been checked for adrenal tumors and nothing. i dont have high blood pressure anyway.

people with hypoglycemia are always hungry and thirsty. i need to step on a scale and see if i am gaining weight. if i am then that is very good for me.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Slyjohn: You could have restless leg syndrome. It has many causes - one is from certain medications. What medications are you on? You can try taking calcium and magnesium to calm your legs. (You should take calcium and magnesium together. Most brands are sold that way anyway.) And ask you doctor about the restless legs. It has many causes.

over the past couple of weeks i have started to understand that if i ate more, my heart rate seemed to be where i wanted it to be. well i cant stop eating now

I am not sure I understand this Slyjohn. Usually when people eat, it increases their heart rate a little (and only temporarily). Are you eating to keep your heart rate at what you want (as you said) or are you eating from anxiety?

my mind is split in too ways and i need help which one is right. one side of my mind tells me if i keep eating, i will be rewarded and my panic and anxiety will go away.

Slyjohn: The anxiety goes away from understanding how this insidious illness works and that is that you have the symptoms from panicking and you panic from the symptoms. (Please read more about how to overcome panic disorder in my thread on "Distracting Techniques, Slyjohn.)

Also, please let me know what the outcome of your spinal x-rays were.

I hope you are doing ok.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:34 PM   #6

slyJohn HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by fm5:
Slyjohn: You could have restless leg syndrome. It has many causes - one is from certain medications. What medications are you on? You can try taking calcium and magnesium to calm your legs. (You should take calcium and magnesium together. Most brands are sold that way anyway.) And ask you doctor about the restless legs. It has many causes.

over the past couple of weeks i have started to understand that if i ate more, my heart rate seemed to be where i wanted it to be. well i cant stop eating now

I am not sure I understand this Slyjohn. Usually when people eat, it increases their heart rate a little (and only temporarily). Are you eating to keep your heart rate at what you want (as you said) or are you eating from anxiety?

my mind is split in too ways and i need help which one is right. one side of my mind tells me if i keep eating, i will be rewarded and my panic and anxiety will go away.

Slyjohn: The anxiety goes away from understanding how this insidious illness works and that is that you have the symptoms from panicking and you panic from the symptoms. (Please read more about how to overcome panic disorder in my thread on "Distracting Techniques, Slyjohn.)

Also, please let me know what the outcome of your spinal x-rays were.

I hope you are doing ok.
hey thank you for your long post. when my anxiety began, i lost my appetite. and i think that this over time caused my anxiety because my body had no energy or food to absorb so it was working hard on taking minerals from my muscles and body itself so my heart was racing more. well, im eating a lot now and my heart will beat a little fast for a little while but it will slow down to a more comfortable rate after the food settled. things just have really changed within the last month. i have to eat all the time or my anxiety will get bad. oh my MRI of my spine was normal, i have a small bone cyst somewhere on my lumbar spine on the right side. i am really concerned though about two things that will really help my anxiety diminish if i got them checked out. one is the constant pain in my left leg (groin and upper quads)when i sit down. im thinking i have a hernia strangulating something inside but I see nothing and the doctors don't see anything either. do hernias always have to be bulging out? also, im concerned about hypoglycemia. my blood sugar yesterday was 88 around 6pm which is ok i guess. this morning it was 70 and around 6pm it was 60. but i need to check it when i have my heart racing episodes. i may have restless leg syndrome from standing up constantly at my last job. im looking into taking calcium and magnesium. i really hope i pull through all of this. so many answers to come before the end of this year.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:17 PM   #7

TypeRighter HB User
Sly, this is just my feeling, but I think your hunger is a good thing. I can't eat when I'm nervous. When I'm hungry, I also find that I'm relaxed -- relaxed enough to "feel" hungry, I suppose.

Your milage may vary.

Old 09-11-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Slyjohn: I am glad to hear everything worked out with your MRI.

I would say just have those things checked out - your restless legs and pains in your legs, and just have a glucose tolerance test, and then just BELIEVE WHAT YOUR DOCTOR tells you, Slyjohn - and try not to think it about it anymore.

Believe me, I know what I am saying. I have met people in my anxiety disorder meetings that were seeing/calling their doctors EVERYDAY and it really really disrupted their lives - to the point that they were unable to work or really almost unable to function at all.

As far as your eating too much. Putting on weight can't be all that healthy, Slyjohn. Why not try try cutting your portions down very slowly and see what happens.

Old 09-13-2003, 05:23 PM   #9

slyJohn HB User
I am very skinny so I could use some weight gain. I am 6ft and weigh only 127.

well... I really really think I know the cause of my anxiety now. I am pretty sure I have hyperthyroidism... my nervousness, fatigueness, severe anxiety, my muscle twitching and weakness, and now my increased appetite. These are all symptoms of hyperthyroidism. I went to an express clinic today because I couldn't take my symptoms today. I got blood drawn. Everything was normal but the thyroid levels cannot be checked till Monday. I'm pretty scared until then because I don't want to get a thyroid storm. I wish I can get treated now but I have to wait for the doctor to confirm it at the express clinic. ahhh i dont wanna wait, im tempted to just goto the ER and talk to them about it and see what they can do.
Last time I got my thyroids checked was in Februrary. My T3 and T4 were normal but my TSH was very low. Now I am sure they are all low levels. These next few days are going to stink when you already know what the problem is

Closed Thread