It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Post "If your legs are wobbly.......

they can still hold you up!!"

Absolutely one of the best lines out of Dr. Claire Weeks.

When I was in the throes of my panic disorder, I had realized that the only way to get better was to go out and do those things that I would normally do (not to limit myself). BUT TO STAY WITH THE FEELINGS NO MATTER HAD BAD I FELT.

I remember going out with friends and thinking to myself "I am going to pass out" or "my legs can't hold me up". Then I would think of Dr. Claire Weeks' saying "if your legs are wobbly, they can still hold you up." And I would just bear with the symptoms, and eventually after about 20 minutes they would disappear.

From what I understand, Dr. Weeks understood panic disorder because she started panicking after a surgery she once had. She understood that this was not a "namby pamby" type of illness - that in order to get better you HAD to be strong and get out there no matter how bad you felt.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Weekes books were written a long time ago but still are helpful and reassuring

with wobbly legs, its best not to tense up as this makes it worse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2003, 03:14 AM   #3

Garm HB User
Sometimes i get a little wobbly, or shaky, and sometimes feel a little heavy, but i realize that, not out of actually trying to get rid of them, but out of sheer boredom with them now, that it's okay just to keep going. Hell, a heart attack would be a break from this tired cycle.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Sometimes i get a little wobbly, or shaky, and sometimes feel a little heavy, but i realize that, not out of actually trying to get rid of them, but out of sheer boredom with them now, that it's okay just to keep going. Hell, a heart attack would be a break from this tired cycle.

It will get easier. Just keep going about your daily activities AND DON'T RETREAT FROM THEM - this will only make it worse. In time, they will go away.

I know it is frustrating. But it will get better.

Old 09-18-2003, 11:23 AM   #5

slyJohn HB User
i just had my first "wobbly legs" symptom for the first time yesterday walking to my car. it really upsets me cause it seems like my attacks are getting worse. i was walking and my legs started to get very very weak and wobble and it took so much effort just to take one step.
oh, i made it to my car.

[This message has been edited by slyJohn (edited 09-18-2003).]

Old 09-18-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
Veteran

fm5 HB User
i just had my first "wobbly legs" symptom for the first time yesterday walking to my car. it really upsets me cause it seems like my attacks are getting worse. i was walking and my legs started to get very very weak and wobble and it took so much effort just to take one step. oh, i made it to my car.

Slyjohn: See, you made it to your car anyway didn't you?

Maybe once you get all your medical tests done and out of the way, things will get a little easier for you Slyjohn.

Actually, once a person makes the decision to not allow panic disorder to totally rule his life and actually "gets out there to go on with his life" and doesn't retreat, they often will feel as if they are getting worse because, of course, they have to face their panic more often. But, just like everything else with this disease - it is very tricky and deceitful - you really aren't getting worse, you are getting better because you are making yourself stronger.....believing that "I have had these symptoms in the past before and I didn't pass out/have a heart attack then, and I am not going to pass out now.....so even though, I have these symptoms, I am going to go about my duties and do them, because that is the only way I will get better!

I guess it works alot like being in a physical excercise program. It can feel painful and uncomfortable while you are doing it, but you are making yourself stronger and healthier at the same time.

Old 09-18-2003, 01:12 PM   #7

slyJohn HB User
thanks fm5. at the same time, yes i do feel like i am getting better. i have been more upset about what happened yesterday than sad. if anything, i now feel like walking more than i was before because i have been saying to myself, 'i'll be damned if this anxiety cripples me bad enough to keep me from walking.' that's definitely not going to happen.

Closed Thread