It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

lindsayloo82 HB User
please help me, I need words of encouragment...

I do't know where to start, I have suffered from panic attacks since I was a child,I'm hoffified ,and don't know why. I recently took a trip to Costa Rica with my boyfriend ,Sounds like fun huh??? Not for me the plane rides were excrisiatingly scary ,and i hated being so far away from my family and children,I came home thinking alll would be back to normal, to find it was worse. I'm scared of everything. I worry I will loose my mind and hurt my children,or forget how to function, almost like I'm not conrolling myself. weird thoughts like nothing is real... etc.. Then I feel like it will never get better,and depression sets in, everything seems wierd like a dream. I see my life in front of me, but i'm not connected.. I can't feel happy.. I want to LIVE.I"M so scared. recentley went to hospital , and was given atavan cause I could not stop crying.. please someone any words???? I don't know how I'm functioning right now,, Its like my brain has a hightened awarness, I question everything. please help

Old 05-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #2
(male)

Imnotstoopid HB User
Re: please help me, I need words of encouragment...

Hi there, I know exactly how you feel, I've gone through this for many years. You have to understand, the problem is your thinking, it's not that there's anything wrong with you, it's that your thinking is triggering a physical response to threats that don't really exist. If you think there is something wrong with you physically, go to the doctor and have it checked out. If your stats are normal, which they likely are, you may need medication and counseling to get through it.

You must understand though, it's your thinking, not your mind. You're NOT going crazy, you're not going to die, you're going to be fine. The only problems you're going to have are what you put yourself through with your thinking.

A couple of quotes I've found helpful:

"Attitudes are more important than facts."

"Do the thing you fear and the death of fear is certain."

"Minimize obstacles in your mind. Do not give them power by inflating them with fear thoughts"

"Whenever a negative thought comes to mind, deliberately voice a positive thought to cancel it out"

"I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me"

"Happiness is determined by our thoughts, so we must drive off thoughts which make for depression and discouragement."

"Human beings can alter their lives, by altering their attitudes of mind"

"As you think, so shall you be"

"Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee" (Isaiah 26:3)

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-13-2010 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
(female)

lindsayloo82 HB User

Thank you so much

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-13-2010 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 06-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
(male)

tr06 HB User
Thumbs up Re: please help me, I need words of encouragment...

Just read your post. I too have had panic disorder since childhood. First, your taking the right first steps, your asking questions. For myself, I take Paxil CR and it has had a tremendous positive impact on my life. The one thing to remember is that every is different from eveyone else which means a particular drug may work well for one but something a little different may work for you. Communication is key between yourself, your family doctor and psychologist/psychiaratist. My personal view of dealing with this disorder is that it is a path. Those who are not on this path is completely unaware of the diffculties on this path. Yes, there are learned behaviours that can be unlearned and new ones taught. The most important thing is having to someone lean on as you travel this path, be it a therapist, a friend or a loved one. I had a great therapist in my case. The one thing I disagree with the other reply is that it is all in your thinking. Having it in childhood could make it difficult to remember what was going on in your life when you first experienced symptoms. For me the treatments were initially were to take a sedative, which knocked me out. Then they turned to trying to change the way I thought, videoing how I react to things then show me a better way to think through the process, biofeedback to control some of my body's functions. But the best was with Paxil. I was then truly able to use some ot the techniques I learned from the therapists and I continue to change my behaviours. My last big hurdle is overcoming my fear of flying. The main thing is stay tough and don't give up on the professional help until you start feeling better. Once the right combination is hit upon, then you'll be on your path to feeling better. Remember, this didn't happen to you overnight so feeling better might come in small increments. Then one day you'll notice that you feel really good. Good luck, stay strong.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

danieller HB User

I to am like you i have had panic / anxiety attacks since i was young i am now 27 and mine did get better well were on track of getting better then last aug i went on holiday to ibiza with my boyfriend for the first time i have never left my children or family before to go so far away and i was happy i did but i woke on the 2nd to last night i woke in the night all hot, sweaty, shaking , pains in chest, lump in throat, you name it i had it that night and as i was so far away from home i started freaking out even more i just wanted to get home and i thought once i got home it will all be ok and i will be back to normal but NO was i wrong i have found it went down hill once i got home i didnt want to go out i was panicing 24/7 feeling down, tired etc..... that was about 9 months ago now and i am better than i was but still having the panicky times now and then sometimes they last all day and i am going bk to ibiza in 33 days ( i am feeling anxious about going on the plane) but this time am going with my mum and family) but i have downloaded alot of relaxation music and hyponists etc... for my mp3 player and they calm me down i am learning to change my negative thoughts but somedays are worse than others but at least this time am willing to give it a go am so nervous about going on the plane but am going with an open mind "i no i may feel a little anxious" " what if i panic on the plane" "well the flight is only 2hours and i have my relaxation music and my family with me" so i no i will be ok and if worse comes to worse i have tables to help me calm down but i leave them till VERY last just as i want to over come this on my own but i am on anti-depressions which i really dont find there working :-( but hey i have my children i need to be here for and thats what is helping me get through this but i no i am not gonna be 100% better over night but i am trying

hope your ok and see the light soon x x

Closed Thread