It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2003, 03:48 PM   #1

Angel0627 HB User
Question Does Fluoxetine Help Panic Attacks or Fears?

Just wondering if any of you guys take Fluoxetine for panic attacks or fears...I was just put on it last Friday...and I know it takes time to work. If anybody else is taking this..please respond.

Old 10-15-2003, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
I am about to try prozac as well with Klonopin. It should take a 3 to 8 weeks before you notice improvement. Most people become tired but some get a little agitated by it in the beginning. It was just approved this year for the use in panic and anxiety but has been used for such for several years now. Many people have had great success with this medication. It is highly reccomended by doctors because its safety record. It is also the highest prescribed med with about 10,000,000 people using it worldwide. I did lots of research and the worst I could find is some people felt it was responsible for causing suicide although these incidents almost always occured within the first couple of weeks before the medication could usually take effect. At some pages it is called a panic blocker. Hope you have luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2003, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
theres a good chance the fluoxetine/prozac will eventually reduce or stop your panic attacks, but take it regularly and be patient for a while, it takes time to work properly

Old 10-16-2003, 01:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Man am I glad to see this post, I started generic prozac(fluoxetine)on sunday, I have been feeling a more panic than normal and i have had an upset tummy i haven't slept in 4 nights, I go see my psych tonight to get something to help me sleep because i feel very cracked out from no sleep! I have heard good things about this med and i hope it works for us all!!!! lets keep eachother posted

Old 10-16-2003, 09:24 PM   #5
Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
Just keeping everybody posted. I just tried the prozac or actually generic. I was getting prepared for the worst since lots of people actually have more anxiety sometimes IN THE BEGINNING but it is supposed to taper out and get you better. But what happened is I took my .5 Clonezepam (benzo) and then the prozac all I felt was a little pick up in my heart rate but nothing that freaked me out at all. I was calm most of the day which was very odd seeing as I am usually more often in panic than not. It really wasnt that bad. Also don't get discouraged by the side affects such as headache, constipation, slight pick up in heart rate (rarely) but not dangerous at all. Which would we rather a few stupid side affects that will probably and usually do go away in the first couple of weeks or freaking out constantly for no reason. I would rather the stupid side affects (as long as they are minor) what does anybody else say thats just starting on prozac or fluoxetine?

Old 10-17-2003, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am doing better today, my doc gave me something for sleep, I also felt my heart beat a tad faster, I don't feel panicky today. I hope this works, and I feel comfortable Dawn that you have done research on this med. thank you, have a good one

Old 10-18-2003, 03:12 AM   #7

juggernaut216 HB User
I just started Prozac 3 weeks ago.I have been on Zoloft,Paxil,Remeron,Wellbutrin etc.I think Prozac has been a miracle for me compared to other SSRI'S.The only negative effect is a little stomach distress and the wired feeling,which I dont mind because I have atypical/dysthmic depression.It has been good sexually for me as well.I have been more social and energetic.I was going to switch to Nardil but I am glad I've decided to try this out first.I think because it is the least selective of the SSRI'S is a good thing.Since it doesnt bind to 5ht as avidly as others,the side effects are less i.e.sexual.Anyways stick with it,your fears and panic should begin to lessen soon....
Peace and Love,
JP

Old 10-18-2003, 08:56 AM   #8
Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
What the ####!!!. Third day of prozac (fluoxetine), I know its supposed to take a couple to several weeks to work but I had my husband check my pulse and it was 64bpm when I woke up. What is that? Is it working already? I am never under 84 usually in the nineties and thats when I am not in panic. I have been unusually calm although as stupid as it sounds I am kind of freaking out that its low to normal. And no I dont believe its the placeabo effect because I have been given benzos I gave back to the doctor because they did nothing (klonopin seems to help though) and I have tried antideppressants that made me climb the wall. I am so sorry for you that tried the Wellbutrin I tried that once before I even had panic and I was climbing the walls (it was supposed to be for depression) but that was a long time ago. Anyways some things are getting clearer (a little ) and I cant believe how messy I let this house get and the condition of my children's rooms are depressing me. My poor family they have really been putting up with a lot from me. I hope this little pill is finally it. I cant imagine not being constantly terrified anymore. How are all of the other people on prozac (fluoxetine doing here? What are your experiences with side affects? and do you feel it doing something already too?

Old 10-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
I had the same thing Zoloft no way, Paxil definetely no way the doctors are usually stumped when I give them a list of all the meds I have tried. Almost eveything but MAOI's. I tried prozac once for depression but I thought something else might work better ( I was young and stupid and looking for a Happy pill) But now I am trying it again for acute anxiety and panic and I think its actually going to work.

Old 10-18-2003, 06:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am doing good today! I feel a little spacy and strange but i feel better than I have the last week! I am praying this med works for me! Dawn, my heart rate is usually 65-68bpm. hope you all have a great day, god bless

Closed Thread