It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

sandyf HB Usersandyf HB User
For those of you on antidepressants

Hi, I'm new to this board but definitely not new to panic disorder. I had one panic attack years ago which set off a horrible nonstop panic that I have never stopped fearing. I wanted to get some feedback regarding AD's. I have been on 50mgs Zoloft for about four weeks and 75mgs for about a week. The increased anxiety and panic are awful but I am hanging in with Klonopin. Yesterday, I thought I was feeling a little better with the side effects so I tried to go to bed without a benzo. Of course I layed there and started wondering if the Zoloft was going to work or was working yet and here comes panic. Well, my fears went crazy and I started shaking and freaking out. I finally fell asleep and of course woke up with extreme anxiety which I still can't get rid of. I'm so scared. I'm so depressed and hopeless. I can't do the mind over matter thing. It just doesn't work. My question is, how would I know if the medication is working? Would my thoughts come but the panic wouldn't? I know I obsess about panic but I can't help it. When I have it, I can't get it to go away. What keeps you guys from fearing it? It's so disabling. I can hardly funtion. Not suicidal but I'm so ready to get my life over with. I'm tired of living with this fear. It's all in my head which makes it worse! Counseling won't help. I've been down that path before. If antidepressants won't help me, I think I'll never stop panicking!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: sandyf
fairie (11-05-2010), Ktspirit4 (11-27-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

vik87 HB User
Re: For those of you on antidepressants

It takes about a month for the ADs to get properly into your system, so probably a few weeks after that before you start noticing a difference (personal experience), as the first few weeks on ADs often make you worse including making you even more paranoid and anxious, its not a good idea to miss one of your benzos so early into treatment so even if your feeling pretty ok, keep taking both of them at least for another few weeks until the ADs have kicked in properly and settled down.

The Ads kick in very slowly, like i say the first few weeks are the worst, but you have got through that bit :-) and have now hit the bit in between, you dont feel quite as bad as you did before you started them, as you know your doing something about it, but your very fed up of waiting for something to happen, and in turn, fed up of everything else? However, dont give up hope! it just needs a bit more time.

You probably wont notice the ADs taking effect as it is so gradual, but in another few weeks when you look back you will notice your moods will have stabilized, so dont panic if your worrying in bed about them not working, as they are working, its just gradual, so unnoticable day to day. it may seem crap now, but knowing it is making a difference will help keep you going.

What makes you anxious at the moment? What effects have you noticed since you started them? Overall have you seen an improvement?

Last edited by ms_mod; 11-11-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room letter with the proper words as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 11-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

It just sounds like Zoloft may not be the right medication - talk to your Dr...there are medications with anti-anxiety properties...that I have been prescribed because I am so anxious all the time...Lexapro is one of them...Celexa is another one....I loved Celexa...but I smoke and it seemed to make me cough all the time. People were telling me it was my smoking..but I knew it was the Celexa...and I stopped the Celexa and the coughing stopped...it was an annoying clearing throat cough all the time....But, the mental stuff and the anxiety was relieved greatly. Maybe its one to ask the Dr. about trying...

Old 11-15-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

Well, Zoloft didn't work out. Felt WAY worse. The agitation was too much after 7 weeks. Now it's been a week off and my depression and anxiety are out of control. I'm so scared of always feeling this way. I see the doctor tomorrow but have no idea what to try next. I wish my mind would stop making me feel this way. Prozac and Celexa didn't help. I just want to be the person I was before my panic disorder struck. It seems like the more I read about it, the worse I get!

Old 11-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
(female)

vik87 HB User

do you have panic attacks and stuff? After i had a huge panic attack and passed out from hyperventilating, they put me on half inderel, which for me stopped all my physical symptoms of panic, maybe they might put you on something like that while they work out what will work for you? for me, just the fact i didnt feel like id run round the world when i thought of something bad was amazing.
Hope they manage to help though! dont give up, i am sure they will find something that works for you soon

Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
(female)

Ktspirit4 HB User

Ohh sweet one -i hope your feeling better- all tooo well I know the fear that lives on from those attacks. Im about on the same tracks as you with medication-waiting and hoping .

Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

A benzodiazepine tranquilizer (klonopin, xanax, ativan, valium) would help control the anxiety and panic while you wait for the antidepressant to work.

Speak to your doctor. They can be habit forming with long term use, but short term use is generaly safe.

They realy can turn off anxiety and panic like a switch

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #8
(female)

hamstachick HB User

I believe that you could be taking too high a dose. I read tons of threads when i first started ssris and they all agreed that low and slow is the way to go. So when i started zoloft last year, i started with around 2 mgs. Worked my way up but could not go past 25 because it made me way too shaky, nervous. A year later and while I was better for most of this year, the past two weeks have reverted back to shaky. I don't know why. Anxiety back. Sucks!! I upped the dose by a few mgs but it made me more shaky. Went back down a bit and still that way now. Not sure what the deal is. I cut the zoloft, by the way. I learned it from here and started with lexapro.

I'm petrified of trying something else because Ive read about how bad some can be and have been for others. Tried Prozac, paxil and luvox years ago. Didn't work out for me.

Also, it took till late december or January for the start up side effects to slow down. Had muscle weakness and shakes real bad, and more anxiety. Gained a bit of weight this past year.
Health Obsessed
Separation anxiety
Generalized anxiety disorder
~~*~BE HERE NOW~*~~
~~*~NAMASTE~*~~

Last edited by ms_mod; 12-04-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
(female)

imnotcrazy2 HB User

I have severe panic attacks.. I have been manic for a month. I tried numerous meds.. Prozac, wellbrutrin, trazadone... All made me MORE nervous... Went to new Dr... She perscribed Celexa said it was not a stimulant.... Been on it for about 2 months... Has helped ALOT.... also on limictal, much better.... I did not think I would ever feel better... Celexa gave me a few side effects, tired, stomach ache, but all went away with time... Give it a try, worth the wait to see if it works...

Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks I'mNotCrazy! I was on Celexa before all the new trials. I'm going back to it. I'm praying it works. The panic has been so bad. Do your attacks come out of the blue or are they thought induced? Mine comes from my obsessing thinking but I have never been able to get it to stop!

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
(female)

imnotcrazy2 HB User

Sometimes i woke up in panic , then I obsess... My thoughts dont help because when i start to get anxious, I think stupid thoughts IE: I have cancer, I am sick, something hurts, then the thoughts just stay in my mind and I stay in panic......

Closed Thread