It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

sandyf HB Usersandyf HB User
Did you have to try a lot of meds before finding the right one?

I have panic disorder and depression and feel like I am running out of meds to help me. It seems like they don't really work or the side effects are too much to bare. The more I try that don't work, the more panicked, depressed, and hopless I get because I feel like I am running out of choices. If I don't find relief, I feel like I will not be able to cope with life. It is that bad. Here is what I've tried:

1) Zoloft - on for five years and was doing ok but went off and developed depression (I think from the Zoloft)
2) Prozac - on it for two years but always felt depressed. Could still panic too.
3) Celexa - on it for two years but had depression on that too. Could still panic too.
4) Tried to go back to Zoloft but had the most horrible start up side effects this time. Could not continue.
5) Luvox - just started eight days ago and have really bad depression and irritability. Feel really bad and not sure I can continue if this is how I'm always going to feel on it.

I know Paxil is supposed to be a good one but took that many years ago and the start up side effects where awful on that too. Felt suicidal.
Lexapro gave me a panic attack a few hours after the first dose.
Anafranil gave me the driest mouth. Could hardly talk.
Would like to try Effexor but heard it is a nightmare to discontinue.

What should I try next? My biggest fear in life are panic attacks and I think that's what leads to the depression. If it weren't for Ativan and Klonopin, I don't think I'd still be alive. I panic because I obsess (OCD) about it. I'll never get over the fear of my first one and that keeps the cycle going. My life is so scary right now and I can't imagine it ever getting better. I want to be me again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Did you have to try a lot of meds before finding the right one?

It took me a couple of trys to find out what worked for me - it might be that you're going to have to persevere despite the start up side effects, perhaps by starting at a quater tablet a day for a week, then half for a week, then a whole one, and by using your ativan regularly initialy to keep you calm?

Lexapro and Zoloft are generaly regarded as the best SSRI's..... many people find thatt hey get better results by taking an SSRI along with an antidepressant that works on noradrenalin, such as nortriptyline or Welbutrin

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
(female)

crzybeautifulme HB User

Hi there. I have had panic going on four years and only in the last two did I finally begin to seek help. Within these last two years I have been on around 14 different medications. I have taken everything from antidepressants to the things prescribed for seizures. Some on my list are Lexapro, Zoloft, Paxil, Zonegran, Abilify, Buspar, Topamax, Lamictal, Xanax, and it goes on. I found that eventually I became focused more on *****'s list of horrible side effects then the actual benefits of the medications. Pretty much I sent myself into a cycle of panic over panic meds. Eventually it came down to me just giving up on meds altogether and I actually did okay for about 6 months. Now I find myself getting ready to delve into the idea of medication again because my panic has once again taken over. I think in the end you just have to give it time. Stay off the internet! Do not think about it! I know that is much easier said then done and trust me, I know, I have ***** bookmarked on my browser. Give it time. And I know time is a scary concept when you have panic, but you will find something. Hang in there!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #4
(female)

sandyf HB Usersandyf HB User

Thanks for the reply. So did you quit all of those meds because you had side effects or you just were afraid of getting them? Did anything help? A lot of my problem is not only the anxiety and panic but the depression that comes from it. It's awful. I'm still looking for the right med. Been on Celexa for six weeks but am still anxious and depressed. I just want to get back to the old me!

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-03-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Removed quote and unnecessary information. Ms_Mod

Old 03-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
(female)

crzybeautifulme HB User

Hey. Apparently I am very "sensitive" to meds so I did not really have much luck with any of the medications, even on a low dosage. I also think half the reason I had so many side effects was the fact that I was so anxious about taking the medications which seemed to make my side effects worse. I am no doctor so I can't really tell you which meds I think will work best for both your panic and depression. I know things like Abilify are used in conjunction with antidepressants. I know a lot of people have has better success with antidepressants but remember they take time to get in your system. I wish you the best of luck!

Closed Thread