It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

sandyf HB Usersandyf HB User
How do antidepressants stop panic and anxiety?

I posted on here a little while ago but am still struggling. I have always feared the feeling of panic and therefore have developed a severe GAD due to that. It is constant and I go to bed and wake up in a panic if I do not take a benzo. But I am afraid of the addiction and tolerance issues. I have been on antidepressants for ten years and went off recently so I know that's part of the problem. I started back about a week ago but what has me in a nonstop panic is:

1) Will they work this time and
2) How long will they work until they poop out? (It seems like this almost always happens)

What I would like to know since I have never been this bad before is how will I know if they are working? I'm so afraid I'll never get over this this time. This has been a lifelong illness for me. I am barely funtioning right now and not able to eat. The anxiety is almost unbearable.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: How do antidepressants stop panic and anxiety?

They work by elevating the levels of seretonin and/or noradrenalin in the brain.

I have taken citralopram and nortriptyline for years and they havent pooped out.

Taking the two in combination is more effective than taking either one alone, and may help prevent "poop out" (though wether poop out actualy exists is a touchy subject)

I take citralopram 40mg at night, and nortriptyline 75mg at night, every night, and have some Xanax to take when i feel an anxiety attack comming on, or when i feel especialy tense and anxious.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread