It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
(female)

ladypm HB User
Best rx for anxiety & depression? Help!

When I quit drinking alcohol in 1994, depression and anxiety ruled its ugly head. Im currently on Lexapro 20mg day and xanax. I am entering a outpatient drug program to get off pain meds, and they want me off my xanax that Ive been on since 94.

Im scared.....so Im hoping my Lexapro will be good enuf! Whats the best medication I should take for anxiety/depression? Is Lexapro good enuf without the xanax to help with panic attacks? HELP!!!

Can anyone suggest a herbal supplement for anxiety attacks?

The following user gives a hug of support to ladypm:
tinkerbell45 (03-29-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User
Re: Best rx for anxiety & depression? Help!

It might be enough on its own, when you have detoxed from the Xanax, but you might need an adjuvant medication as well.

There are several that might help - the antihistamine Atarax, in a dose of 50mg three times a day, has been shown to help generalised anxiety disorder. The drug Buspar, in a dose of 15-30mg twice a day has also been shown to help anxiety. neither of these drugs are addictive.

Adding a night time dose of Nortriptyline (75mg) to your Lexapro can also help (nortriptyline is an antidepressant that works on noradrenalin, Lexapro is an antidepressant that works on seretonin. When taken together, their effects are addative)

There are other options as well, such as atypical antipsychotics in low doses - it would be best to consult a psychiatrist

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Sorry about the depression/anxiety. I have struggled with these things for over 20 years. I had some very good years on meds and some really bad ones too. I guess these things never really go away on their own once they develop. The best one can do IMO is to manage them with meds and lifestyle changes. I have been on lexapro for approx. 5 years. I tolerate it ok but it really does not help with my GAD. I do think it helps with the panic although I still have panic attacks that breakthrough even tho I am on the drug. For me, benzos have been the only meds that have ever helped but they don't even work well anymore now after 20 years due to tolerance. I now only take valium PRN. Hope you feel better soon.

* I have experimented with herbal supplements but have never found anything to really be of significant help unfortunately. I do drink chamomile tea and it helps me to sleep a little better.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-29-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

Lady

In my case, I was on Lexapro and Xanax for severe panic attacks. I never needed the Xanax with the exception of the first week. It takes several weeks for Lexapro to have its full effect, but when it got there, it virtually eliminated my panic attacks altogether. Of course everybody has a different makeup, and what works for one, may not work for another. I definitely think its a step in the right direction to get off of Xanax, however, because its typically prescribed as a short term drug. It sounds like you've been on it for quite some time, and its addictive as well. The other two replies here gave you some good info, so I hope all of this helps! Lexapro worked wonders for me, but I am proud to say that I have been medication free for almost a year now! The best medicine I have found is lots and lots of physical exercise, sports, and to constantly surround myself with friends and family! I wish you the best!

Closed Thread