It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
(female)

Zippy88 HB User
Angry Panic Attacks - Please help!!!

Hi there, I am a 23 year old women and I have been suffering from Panic attacks for roughly 7-8 years now since my teens. It has got to the point now though were they seem to be taking over my life, I actually find it hard to even deal with the simple things in life. I have been to see my GP on several occasions, I am on medication for them - Propranolol 40mg. I have had counselling 3 times now and also been private to see a hypnotherapist but none of this seems to have helped, I am now also in the process of doing another set of counselling sessions but again don't feel like I am getting anywhere. I just don't know how to deal with them, they seem to just take over....I feel anxious and panicky on a daily basis, seem to have really bad PA's in social AND any new situations such as going for a meal/drink etc. I cant even go out with friends or invite friends round to the house without being anxious about it,...I just feel so isolated and Alone daily, its ruining my life and my relationship. I feel like I have no-one, I just don't know what to do. Can anyone help? My panic attacks scare me as they make me physically sick so its hard when I am out and having a panic attack as I am sick everywhere, it doesn't just scare me but its also quite embarrasing - its got to the point now where I actually avoid situations as I automatically think I will panic. Its all getting too much now, Its not fair on my partner either, he misses out on doing so much with me....I Hate it, I hate me. Please somebody help. x

The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy88 For This Useful Post:
MrsSully (04-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
(female)

agatha94 HB User
Re: Panic Attacks - Please help!!!

I had written a lengthy post but then my laptop over heated and i lost it all.

I am suffering from a similsr problem to you although i am still a teenager. I am still in school and in the middle of GCSEs and for me the stress has become unbearable- i was depressed before the work started piling on and now that i have more work than i can cope with,the thought of going to school or doing any form of homework sets me into fits of panic attacks. Usually my attacks are 'mild' but today i had a particularly bad one and i threw up. I had never been physically sick before, although i often find myself feeling nauseous is this normal? Or at least as 'normal' as life can be.

Oh, and this condition should be no reason to hate yourself (but i'm one to talk) my councillor suggested externalising your feeling through drawing or writing. It seems to have helped me (short-term, sadly not long-term) and it can just be quite useful just to do with your hands- if you are a fidgiter like me.
Please don't give up.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

Hi there, cheers for the reply - Firstly I would like to say your not the only one to suffer from nauseous feelings, I constantly feel like that on a daily basis, then any smell of food etc and that's it, I throw up. It is horrible, really is wrecking my life now. I wont give up though, no matter how Low I feel, It has gone on for so long now, I refuse to let it win. At the moment I am looking into the Difference of Panic and Anxiety as I now think it may just be severe Anxiety I am experiencing on a daily basis and not panic attacks :S to be honest I feel all confused. I think I may give the drawing ago, at the minute I am noticing that certain situations where my minds kept busy I seem to be less Anxious such as when I am in work(some days) so maybe the drawing will be good for me. Hope your ok, if there's any help or support I can give you just let me know. x

Old 03-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
(female)

agatha94 HB User

Are you on any form of medication for your anxiety, I am on the SSRI Fluoxetine.

I had to leave lessons today because i 'was not in a fit state to learn' so i went to the matrons office and had a 'chat' to her. She is aware of my situation and I told her that i was suffering from nausea and i take medication. One thing she suggested was to brush you teeth immediately after taking medication because that is how the side-effects can manifest themselves.

I have yet to try this but i may help

Old 03-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

I have tried a range of medication in the past which doesn't seem to have helped, I have been on citalopram 20mg and risperidone but now I have been placed on a beta blocka called propranolol 40mg to take but I wasn't told if I could take it daily or not so yeah I'm kind of going this alone without the help from medication daily.....it has got so bad now though that I think maybe another trip to my doctor is needed. I'm sorry to hear how bad things were for you yesterday, (big hugs) how long have you been on your medication for? x

Old 03-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #6
(female)

agatha94 HB User

I've been on medication for over a month (6 weeks) or so and i'm still adjusting to incorporating it into my regular routine. I'm in councilling for depression so my medication was prescribed for that but it is supposed to help with anxiety as well. So *fingers crossed!*

Old 03-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

The hardest thing to remember is that you WILL get through this. I deal with panic attacks, and have been since 2006. I've been on and off of Lexapro three times, taking 10 - 20 mg. for approximately a year each time. I am currently on no medication now, but still feel the effects of minor panic attacks that do impede me out in the public, or in the gym, etc. During my worst days, I was absolutely unable to even go outside for a week straight, and took multiple trips to the emergency room. It feels like it will be life long, and impossible to overcome while you're going through it, I know. Just do what you can to get through it, relax, so on so forth. Lexapro worked wonders for me, brought me back to 100% normal, but when I go off, it seems like I resort to it again after a few months.

Things that worked for me, short term, were to just keep your mind occupied, whether it be doing a crossword puzzle, or playing a game online. Longterm I started an exercise program, where I run several miles throughout the week, while I was on Lexapro, and have continued this program while off of Lexapro. I play several sports, and stay as active as possible. I found that the longer I stayed indoors, secluded, the worse it got. I started very slowly with short leasurely walks outside, and would see others going about their days without a worry in the world. I'd tell myself I will get back there, it will just take some time. My girlfriend would go on these walks with me, and helped me through the worst of it. Its important to include a loved one to help you through it, I think. I basically, forced myself to be a functioning human being again, but I did so very slowly. Luckily I kept the job that I love, and my girlfriend, because like you I feared that I would lose those things, or that I was holding them back.

Don't expect miracles. You are young, you can beat this, and it will take a LOT of time. Just don't give up, even in your darkest hour. We are all here for you and experiencing the same. Also, just remember that even when you are functioning again, you still may deal with symptoms and worries and fears, but they are normal. Its all in how you deal with them. I went from being bed ridden to being completely functional, and you can do it to. It just takes alot of hard work, whether its anxiety, or panic attacks. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your reply - Sorry only just replying, I've not been online for a few days as the anxiety has been pretty bad. I have been back to see the Doctor and I have been placed on Citalopram 20mg along with Propranolol 40mg. I have only been on them 2 days and I kinda feel ok on day two....not great but not too bad either. I do Kind of feel like this is never going to end now, I feel like i've tried everything possible in the past 6 -7 years yet still got nowhere. I do try to include my boyfriend in this with me but I just feel as much as he tries he just doesn't understand, he snaps at me quite alot when I panic and I know deep down its because he doesn't know how to deal with it but that kind of makes me feel alone and isolated which then makes me worse....I just want to be normal, well not normal but just Happy again, will I ever be like I just to be....I often think NOT. I just don't know how to relax, half the time I don't even know why I am feeling anxious, its stupid and stresses me out. Work is the only thing that kind of slightly takes my mind off of it. I hate feeling bad How are you finding things now? Do you still suffer from anxiety and Panic attacks? Thanks again for your reply

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-31-2011 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Removed banned word. If a word comes up like this *** in your post use of that word is banned on this website. Ms_Mod

Old 03-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by agatha94 View Post
I've been on medication for over a month (6 weeks) or so and i'm still adjusting to incorporating it into my regular routine. I'm in councilling for depression so my medication was prescribed for that but it is supposed to help with anxiety as well. So *fingers crossed!*
Yes fingers crossed with medication, I hope it helps you. I have been back to see the doctor and I have now been placed on Citalopram 20mg and propranolol 40mg so I am hoping these will work or at least help me to feel better slightly.....I will keep you posted

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
(male)

Yes I definitely still deal with them. It is completely different now that I know what they are. I'm completely functional, and do the things I used to do and am happy. It definitely takes time and is EXTREMELY hard to keep in your mind that you will get through it. I know you feel like it may never come, but it will. As the years have gone by, I take them for what they are and am just able to get through them. Some days are worse than others, and it feels like the symptoms are there all day long, and those old thoughts and feelings keep coming back. Going to sleep and waking up the next day helps though, slowly, but surely, just keep plugging away and you will overcome panic/anxiety.

I also know what you mean about your significant other. I always include my girlfriend, but unless you experience them for yourself, we know that other person doesn't truly understand. They will get frustrated from time to time and say things like, "just get through it", and it does get frustrating. It will get better though.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #11
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

I am glad you are able to take them for what they are, I try to do that but they always seem to get the better of me but I will get there in the end, I refuse now to let this beat me.....thinking more possitvely this week has seemed to help me along with my medication, I haven't been as bad. We have all the family round this evening for drinks and nibbles so I will see how I get on as this is probably the biggest thing I would have faced this week. Yes it is very frustrating when the other half says 'just get through it' however I know he means well. It must be quite difficult for him to see me in such a bad way. I am glad you are doing well, its good to hear that it is actually possible to overcome this. Keep it going!! I will keep you updated on how I am getting on.

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-03-2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Removed quote. Ms_Mod

Old 04-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #12
(male)

Just stopping by to see how your family with the visit went? Hope all is getting better!

Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
(female)

Zippy88 HB User

Hello there, The family visit was actually really good, I didn't get anxious or panicky....I was absolutely fine, I really enjoyed it. we also went for a meal on Monday evening which was alright too, I did get anxious but I didn't panic like I usually do. I have seemed to be okay this first week of being on my tablets so yes hopefully things are starting to look up *fingers crossed* How have you been?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
(male)

I've been doing well too. I've been medication free for 7 months now, and very thankful for that. It seems I battle them the most when I work out now! Today I ran a couple of miles on the treadmill and almost felt as if I was going to have a PA. Like usual, I was able to get out of it after several minutes, but its definitely annoying! They aren't keeping me from doing anything, however, and thats my main goal. I hope the streak continues! Glad you're getting there and hope that continues as well. Take care!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
(female)

Fletch89 HB User

It's not an easy thin to deal with for your boyfriend. I get upset over really mint things and he doesn't really understand...I guess I don't really understand either! I just sometimes wish I could understand why I get so panicy, I had the courage to tell my mum that I had attacks and she got me these brown bags from waitrose for me to breathe into but when in a restaurant that's the last thing I wanna do! I feel I'm trapped and like you I get so stressed and panicy that I'm sick. I hope we can all help each other out!

Closed Thread