It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
(male)

makodav HB User
Afraid to go to the Doctor, but need to!

Fortunately I do have a very good Doctor who is kind and caring. I have an appointment with him for a physical on April 18'th. For years I have been dealing with panic and anxiety with every symptom possible. I have been working my current job for 7 months and have not missed a day by just pure willpower. I have had alot of lightheadness, tightness and chest pain, shortness of breath, these are the symptoms that scare me the most. I went through a divorce almost 3 years ago and was unemployed on and off for the pst 3 years. I force myself to go to work every day and I work a demanding physical job. Sunday morning I woke up with a pain below my heart on the left side and have been panicking unbelievably since. The pain comes and goes and on a scale of 1-10 I would give it 2 at most. I feel I need to see a Doctor now but I am so petrified that I can't do it! I drove home from work tonight and my body was out of control and I had one of the worst panic attacks I ever had, I almost pulled over to just get out and walk a little bit, but I rolled down the window and the panic eased some. I currently have no one in my life but I feel I need someone with me to go to the Doctor. Just the thought of it causes wild panic. I even had a dentist appointment a couple months ago and my panic ran wild even though I used to do fine at the dentist. I take 3 milligrams of Klonopin a day and have been on it for 20 years. I just need advice as to how to get the courage and strenght to go to the Doctor. When I came home from work I had a couple beers and that calmed me down. Now I am just trying to force myself to seek the strength to see a Doctor but I can't do it. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User
Re: Afraid to go to the Doctor, but need to!

Well unfortunately, its not going to be easy regardless of what any of us say. I'm sure deep down you know that, as you have dealt with PA's for years, like a lot of us in here. You've built the thought of going to the doctor's office up in your mind, so its going to be a big task for you. All we can do is offer you support, and let you know that you're not alone. It was hard for me to go to my doctor appointments as well, however, I just had to keep telling myself that at the end of the appointment, I would feel much better. I just managed to get through it, and at the end, felt much better, just like I had kept telling myself. You should definitely get somebody, anybody, who understands, and is good at comforting you, to go with you. I have a couple of close friends who I would call, and they would at times donate a whole day to help me out. I think thats pretty important. Use anything you can to take your mind off of it. Whatever you do, do not be too hard on yourself, as I'm sure you're aware that PA's are extremely difficult to deal with. You don't need to hammer on yourself and get all depressed, because nobody on the planet has an easy way of coping with them. Just do what you can, when you can.

On a side note, do you ever exercise? I've been a PA sufferer for five years. Lexapro worked for me, unfortunately I do not want to be on any meds. While I was feeling 100% on Lexapro, I forced myself to go to the gym and picked up running. I now run almost daily and find that the exercise is absolutely instrumental in controlling these things. Some days I can only do an uphill walk, or a jog, but any exercise you get at all is better than none. Please find a way to try, even though it sounds like your job is pretty physical. You need the time away to clear your mind, listen to some music or something. I've been off of Lexapro for 7 months now, and haven't missed a day of work in over two years. I still have PA's, but am able to control them for the most part, and am never hard on myself when they win a day or two. The chest pains and such come and go, just as you described, but you just have to do what you can to take your mind off of it, and focus it towards positive energy.

I hope this helped a little. Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

itburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB Useritburns2004 HB User
Re: Afraid to go to the Doctor, but need to!

I wish you so much courage and strength. You should definetly go because your doctor can help you. Tell him the truth, the whole truth how your feeling. Maybe also ask him to do a complete blood work and check magnesium levels and vitami d levels. you be shocked to read up on ll the relevant informtion out there. There is so much help out there for panic now, its beautiful. I think its a mix of patterned negative thinking and deficiencies in the body. It is finding the balance of the two where youll find relieve. theres some things that might help in general..Springforest qijong is good. binurial beat apps to calm you or help you focus, laughing, a pet to love, wayne dyer is motivating and byron katie has a lot on how to repattern your thiking and I actually love her way of questioning yourself.Good luck and please know you are not alone at all, so many people now are walking around with panic disorders.

Closed Thread