It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
(female)

Julia3322 HB User
Made an appt with a psychiatrist....

Because I *think* I am having panic attacks. This started about 3 years ago. Most of my anxiety comes from thinking I have an underlying heart problem that my dr hasn't found. I am a very healthy eater and get tons of regular exercise.....half marathons, spin class, yoga & Jillian DVDs. I started wearing a heart rate monitor to count calories and now go into a PA while in spin class because my HR gets into the 180's even though I KNOW it is ok since I've been spinning over 5 years.
The times that I get panic attacks are when I go to my yearly checkup or the doctor, too much alcohol, sometimes during exercise and sometimes when I am driving with my kids in the car. Too much alcohol could mean just a few glasses. My chest starts to feel tight and then I start pressing my chest to alleviate the discomfort. I get dizzy, nauseous and can't sit still. I get hot and then cold and feel like I'm going to pass out and can't get to the hospital on time. I sometimes will obsessively check my blood pressure or pulse. My husband is so awesome & understanding and I worry during these attacks that
I'm going to die and then I have to leave my husband and two little kids! Ugh
it is not rational! My attacks last all day once I'm in a cycle and I had it all day
yesterday and today until lunch. The few days AFTER an attack I am weak and exhausted, almost as if I've just recovered from a virus.
What is MOST strange is that when it is NOT going on I feel great and calm and normal! I think this is why I never follow through with making the appt with the psychiatrist.

Am I going nuts or does this sound like panic disorder? Can anyone relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User
Re: Made an appt with a psychiatrist....

Absolutely Julia. I can relate. Yours sound like a mirror image of mine. Some days are worse than others, and some days you feel like you can knock King Kong off of that building. Stick with your workouts, because you will have more good days than bad, I'm convinced of that. I was on Lexapro for over a year, and I began running like crazy, and have kept up with it even after quitting Lexapro 7 months ago. I feel like I've got a handle on these things after battling them for the past 5 years. I haven't missed a day of work in over 2 years now, but when they first came on, missed a couple of weeks. I'm lucky to still have the same job. You have all the right tools in place, supportive family, exercise routine, and a good diet! Just keep doing what you're doing, and above anything else, know that you're not alone. As a matter of fact, the description of yours jumped out as the closest I have seen to mine since I've been posting on these boards! Especially the part of thinking that you have an undetected heart condition of some sort. My dad has heart disease, so that thought never leaves my mind! Thank goodness I've stayed completely functional, and exercise like crazy, otherwise I'd be a recluse! Join some team sports or something if you have the time. I play sand volleyball and softball during the warmer months, and thrive on the friendships I've gained through them. Every little bit helps!

Closed Thread