It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

lipsy HB User
digestive problems linked to panic attack??

hi there, im new to this, and not sure if im doing this right, but will see i guess!! im not sure if im suffering "panic attacks" or not really, but i sure know it doesnt feel right!! and maybe someone out there goes through the same as me, or knows what could be happening!! back in april of this year i have found out some very distressing news about my childhood, since then i have been experiencing some "attacks" when i get scared or anxious, this results in me having hot and cold spells, feeling sick, trembling and shaking all over my body, and i can breath, but my chest feels tight and a struggle to catch my breath, i also have bad tummy issues that food effects it nearly everyday, and am not sure if these are linked in any way?? can anyone help please??!! thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: digestive problems linked to panic attack??

Sounds to me like you are having some anxiety/panic attack issues. I suffer from GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and Panic Disorder myself and it really affects my stomach. If I were you though, first thing i'd do is make an appointment to see your Dr. so they can rule out any other illness that could be causing this. But yea, anxiety and panic can really affect your tummy. :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
(female)

lipsy HB User

thank you for replying, ive been to the doctors but not much help, they said i might have fight or flight?? but it doesnt sound like that to me, but ill check that symptom you gave me, thank you!!

Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

"Fight or Flight" response is actually what happens when you're having an anxiety or panic attack. It's a normal response if you are staring down an angry lion or something, but when it happens out of nowhere, and there is nothing to be affraid of, then it becomes an issue of anxiety or panic. Sometimes this is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. Other times it might be caused by a traumatic or stressful experience you've had recently. In any case, I hope you get the help you need to deal with this, either through therapy, medication, or both. Good luck and God bless!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

NC~Grl HB User

It is pretty well known in the literature that panic attacks and digestive problems go together. A ton of us have some sort of IBD symptoms. Typically if you can treat the panic it will lessen or resolve the IBD symptoms. I used to have trouble eating breakfast every single morning and it was an anxiety issue, so once I got treatment for the panic attacks I no longer have problems eating breakfast in the morning. I hope you feel better!! Have you tried talking to someone about your childhood news? It might help to open up about it.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
(male)

db851 HB Userdb851 HB Userdb851 HB User

I agree with the other replies. It definitely sounds like panic/anxiety, even more so since you went to a doctor to get an actual physical condition ruled out. All of the symptoms you described can most certainly be associated with this disorder, and it sounds like yours is definitely derived from your previously mentioned childhood find. Anyway, you have a lot of support on here, keep us updated on how you get through it, as I'm sure you will.

Closed Thread