It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 06:31 AM   #1
(male)

lunarweblink HB Userlunarweblink HB User
Question is it possible to have attack while sleeping?

is it posible to have a panic attack while you sleep i toss and turn at night and i wake up in the middle of the night or early morning and Feel Like I Can't Breathe or gasping for air?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: is it possible to have attack while sleeping?

It's called a nocturnal panic attack. I get them too and it's a pain in the butt! I wake up to heart palps most of the time and then it throws me into a full attack. VERY unpleasant, but yes, you can have them in your sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

Idgie HB User

Yes! In many cases the panic is caused from a lapse in your breathing (Sleep Apnea). Be sure to ask your doctor about having a sleep study done to see if you may have obstructive Sleep Apnea, which will cause pauses in breathing and awaking in a panic because of lack of oxygen. This causes a panic reaction, just like someone cut off your air supply and will also cause heart palpitations. It's very scary to wake from a sound sleep with a panic attack, but these types of night panic attacks can be helped with sleep apnea treatment. I learned this the hard way and am speaking from experience! I hope this helps.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
(female)

victoria1982 HB User

Hi there,

To answer your question, yes, I truly think it is possible to suffer from a panic attack while sleeping... I have had panic disorder for several years but in the last few years, it has seemed to strike primarily when I am sleeping/falling in and out of sleep.. I read above about a possible sleep apnea connection and I totally agree that you should look into that likelihood. I myself am going to be seeing my psych soon about the same thing. You are not alone, trust me!!!!

Stay strong!!!
Victoria

Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #5
(female)

Hopefulhoney HB User

Hi.I have been awoken of late with vivid images and dialogue within a dream possibly.I wake up feeling really naffed off by this.The person in my dream is upsetting me with their presence and I find it triggers breathing difficulties and then trouble getting back to sleep.
Thanks for posting and I hope you find some answers.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

BlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB UserBlueSkies14 HB User

Yes. I actually have more nocturnal panic attacks now than I have during the daytime. To me, it feels like I am dying in my sleep as I struggle to awake. It is a horrible feeling.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #7
(male)

Frank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB UserFrank Furter HB User
Arrow Re: is it possible to have attack while sleeping?

Yes, absolutely. Our body reacts to our thoughts and dreams just as strongly as it does to real life events. I've woken up many times anxious, stressed, worried, etc. I think it's common in anxious people.

Closed Thread