It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
(female)

carrotcarrot HB User
advice for someone who has never suffered from this before?

Hello,

Sorry if similar stories have been posted like this before, i just feel like abit helpless!

Around a week and a half ago after a heavy night out I felt a continual lump sensation in my throat (varying from 'swollen gland' like to full on constriction) I put it down to too much alcohol/mild stress due to a couple of things, as i have this sensation before.

Then Christmas eve night I had what I can only describe as a panic attack, it was fairly mild but my heart was pounding and my chest and upper neck were burning. I woke up Christmas day feeling tired but alright, but then when i had a slice of toast the familiar tightness on my throat returned. Two hours later i had a panic attack that lasted around 45 minutes. After that had calmed I attempted some dinner, only for the throat sensation to come back so i went to bed. Then a couple of hours later I had another panic attack lasting around half an hour.

I went to go into work on the 26th but ended up going into a+e as my chest was aching and my heart was irratic. After an ECG came back fine and speaking to the nurse it had calmed.

My heart beat is still really all over the place, its calm now but was pounding for around 5 hours yesterday, so much so i got sent home from work. I've been to the doctors but he couldnt prescribe beta blockers as I'm asthmatic, he did prescribe me mild anti-depressants though.

Sorry or this being so long winded, I just feel so helpless. My neck is burning and I feel so lethargic and eating seems to exasperate it, is there anything else i can do?

now the burning sensation has moved up from my lower neck to upper neck/back of skull and my head has a really horrible pressure to it. My heart rate feels normal but I just feel really weird.

Cheers

Last edited by carrotcarrot; 12-28-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: updated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
(female)

tgrose HB User
Re: advice for someone who has never suffered from this before?

I would suggest you read a few sites that list ALL the possible weird things you can feel during a panic attack. The mild anti-depressant will work eventually. You need to learn to breath deeply and be calm. The symptoms are very common and the more you realize this the easier it will get to deal with it. I would also ask your dr for a small script for xanax...Us it ONLY for emergencies because it REALLY keeps the demons away. It is addictive though and many drs won't prescribe it. I have one script of 30, and that usually last me from 1.5 years to 2 years. By the end of two years I always a get a new script because they seem to lose potency as that much time goes by. READ READ READ...REading others accounts on here is what saved me years ago and allwed me to really get a handle on things. good luck.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

ohdisco HB User
Re: advice for someone who has never suffered from this before?

Have you tried any anti-acids? Sometimes my heartburn will come out of nowhere and it's horrendous pain to go through. I've found that Melaleuca's calmicid works even better than prescriptions (I was given Nexium to help, but on top of being the most expensive drug I've ever purchased, it didn't really help), and it's not a bad taste.

And yes, there are so many weird feelings that one can get when they're having a panic attack. I have panic attacks that cause one side of my body to go numb because I fear having a stroke like my mom. My brain always feels like it's floating away and it causes everything in my vision to ripple slightly. Sometimes, though, I get the classic chest pain/shortness of breath/"I'm having a heart attack" attack too.

It definitely gets better, though, when you start to find things that help when you're freaking out and you realize when these symptoms happen that they aren't real. I've had a lot of hurdles in my life, but developing panic disorder has probably been one of the hardest things to deal with. It's irrational and inconvenient. It's also really hard if you don't have a support system. When I'm feeling really bad my best friends know to put on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and I can usually get myself out of the panic attack with that movie. I thank God every day for the people in my life that care and understand me so well that I don't even need to say anything, they just know I'm struggling and they do what they can to make me comfortable.

Closed Thread