It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
(female)

LadyPhoenix7982 HB User
Cool Panic Disorder

Hello, my name is Erin and I am happy to post with people who actually UNDERSTAND what it's like to live with panic disorder. You can tell people what it feels like mentally but they really won't be able to grasp it, as much as we may love them.

This past summer, I randomly had a panic attack while driving. It was the first one I have had in several years. It was so bad that I called 911 and was rushed to the ER, where they gave me tests and told me it was just anxiety. About one month later, while trying to go to sleep, I felt a weird sensation in my head and instantly my heart rate sped up to around 140 BPM...we called 911 and were pretty much told the same thing. The high pulse lasted about one hour before they gave me calming meds, which helped. I have also gone to the doctor and had random tests. All have come back fine, with the exception of a weird result on an EKG. I've notice skipped heartbeats, racing heart out of nowhere, strong pulse in my stomach, weird head pressure and headaches, and sudden unbearable panic/fear of death as a result. Mostly, I'll just feel the weird rush in my head and the panic will ensue. I had forms of panic disorder when I was younger, and I remember hypochondria resulting from it. Fast forward to now, I am 29 years old and live in fear a lot. I don't know if a health issue is causing the panic or it's just my panic disorder causing symptoms. Honestly, I know at the end of the day I'm probably fine, but if you've had this disorder, you understand! This has really gotten in the way of my life and I feel so stuck. To live in fear of another attack and to fear so much for your own health is such a weight to carry. My doctor put me on Buspirone daily and Vistaril as needed for my full force panic attacks. Since starting them I have noticed occasional headaches..and when I first started them, they actually made my panic/anxiety worse until I got used to them. I am now at a point where I know that it's only panic; when I feel one coming I go into a calm place, close my eyes, try to clear my mind, and breathe deeply until it passes. If it doesn't, I take my Vistaril. Is there anyone else who knows what this is like? It always helps when you hear that you're not alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User
Re: Panic Disorder

Sweetie, You are definatley not alone! I have been dealing with Panic disorder since I was 14, i'm 39 now! So yes, I know how debilitating it can be. And all of the "what if" thinking that comes along with it does not help the health anxiety!

It looks to me like you are on the right track though, by starting medications, and doing deep breathing exercises.

I also do the same thing you do, if I feel a panic attack is comnig, I go to my bedroom, shut the door, and just breathe!

I am currently taking zoloft 100 mgs, and Xanax .5, 2-3 times a day. My diagnosis is this........get ready because it's long! LOL!

GAD, Panic Disorder, Depression, OCD, PTSD, PMDD, Perimenopause, Fibromyalgia, Acid Reflux/GERD, and a few others not pertaining to anxiety.

So like I said, you are definately not alone!

Take care, Fox

The following user gives a hug of support to Foxxii:
LadyPhoenix7982 (01-16-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Foxxii For This Useful Post:
LadyPhoenix7982 (01-16-2012)
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
(female)

LadyPhoenix7982 HB User
Cool Re: Panic Disorder

Wow! I am happy that you have found ways to work with it too! It's so difficult at times, especially when they strike randomly in the grocery store lol (I can laugh in retrospect!) Or when every little pain (normal or not) is overanalyzed. One of my buddies has Fibromyalgia and from what I understand it's painful. I respect you for what you go through too and hope we can conquer it at some point in our lives. I do have a history of depression and OCD too, which surely plays a role in all of this. Have you ever seen a psychiatrist? My doctor gave me the number of one in my area and I have been toying with the idea of going and getting whatever needs to come out out. I know I have a lot of past that needs to be sorted through...Well it's good to meet you and thank you for making me feel less alone!

Cheers,
Erin

Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #4
(female)

Foxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB UserFoxxii HB User

OMG! I TOTALLY get the grocery store thing. I was so bad at one point during the years, that I would actually leave a full shopping cart sitting there, and walk right out of the store! Haha! But the thing is, as soon as I got in my car, I started to feel better! I would be fine up until the point that I would have to check out, and then the lines used to freak me out so bad that i'd just have to get out of there!

I have seen a psychologist, who is the one that diagnosed me with the OCD & PTSD on top of what I was already diagnosed with (the GAD, panic disorder, and depression) by my primary doc. So yea, that was a hard pill for me to swallow! LOL!

I'm actually feeling quite anxious this morning, woke up with heart palps, and sweating. I am due for my monthly any day now, and I always tend to get worsening of anxiety right before, due to the pmdd and peri. So of course, you know the drill...."omg am i having a heart attack!?" But i'm calming myself now as I type.

Ahhhh! What a life! LOL!

Take care, and if you ever need to talk, i'm here. I check this forum a few times a day. ((hugs)) Fox

Last edited by moderator2; 01-17-2012 at 06:59 AM.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
(female)

LadyPhoenix7982 HB User
Wink Re: Panic Disorder

Ahhh yeah I know the drill! Wow, I hope that you feel better soon..I can only imagine how intense both PMDD and peri are....and thank you so much for the kind words I'm nursing my anxiety right now too. lol *hiding in my room*

Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
(female)

LOL! I'm hiding in my office. This is usually where i'm at most days, because visiting the forums I belong to, and trying to help other people, usually helps me feel better. Hope you are feeling better soon as well....((hugs)) Fox

Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
(male)

davescared HB User

Same here. Just started a week or so ago with "panic". Actually a little panicky right now composing this post but it helps to talk with others. had to get out of the dunkin donuts drive thru the other day because i couldnt get myself composed to order a coffee - ug. <edit> i can't imagine living wiht this for years to come.

Not sure how to use this discussion board yet but here's an edit for folks. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder NOS. Basically gave me a couple different pills that worked miracles within 24 hours. I scan still feel the onset but instead of goosebumps, shortness of breath, fear, panic; the pills are like a water hose that puts the fire out immediately. Life back to bearable. Gonna go to therapist to dig into how this suddenly hit me and manage myself off the pills is my goal. Just so glad for the relief. I hope you all find some too. what a great place for people to discuss things and help deal.

Last edited by davescared; 05-16-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

SO glad to hear you got a diagnosis. The medication will help you get back to your normal life. They are usually a transitional step. With the help of a therapist and your physician, you will overcome this. It is a lousy thing to happen because it usually hits you out-of-the-blue. Very happy to hear you are feeling better. You will continue to make progress! This will be just a minor bump in the road of your life. YAHOO!

Last edited by ms_mod; 05-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
(female)

Oaldon HB User
Smile Re: Panic Disorder

OH my goodness you just described me to a T.....I've suffered with panic attacks most of my life...it happens worse when I am driving. I went for about 13 to 15 years being panic attack free. I was on my own at that time in my life. and now the panic has crept back in. and it has come full force..its dibilitating. I have a 10 year old daughter I have to take care of...and she is the joy of my life. I totally panic cause I'm alone most of the time..I do not have a support system. I am newly married and my husband drives a truck and I'm alone so much with my daughter at school. I do work..I am a licensed massage therapist, I love my job....but driving to my job is a hard task...I keep pulling off the road and panicing totally realizing I'm alone and no one to help me. my heart will race and I get very short of breath and feel like I'm losing my mind...I hate these panic attacks but I am fighting them. I am on Remeron, 45 mgs at night, then I take xanax twice a day .05 mg each. you are definitely not alone in this. and I know some day I will overcome this and so will you and all that suffer. God help us all!!!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

uptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB UseruptownJ HB User

Unless you have walked --this path-- people don't understand how dibilitating it can be. Oaldon, is the medication working for you? From a therapist, I learned how to utilize relaxation techniques that I was, eventually, able to stop the panic from becoming overpowering. This, ultimately, was the way I was able to manage my panic attacks. I still have them occasionally but much less. My panic attacks also were the worst when I was driving and alone. As far as a support system, you can start here. I know there aren't many of us but those here sure understand what you are going through. Those of us reading the posts know how you are feeling. Take care, Sharon

Closed Thread