It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
(male)

lun4tic HB User
Lexapro vs Sertraline

I'm currently in a bad situation. I had anxiety with panic attacks, got it under control with Lexapro and eventually weaned off of it and felt great for a while. I had a bad episode with caffeine, and the anxiety and panic attacks came back stronger than ever.

My doctor prescribed me Lexapro again, which gave me a lot of comfort by just the thought of it. In the beginning, my symptoms subsided, but things began to plateau and I wondered if it had ever begun to help at all. I've been suffering from some kind of hyperactive sympathetic nervous system, keeping my body in an emergency mode, which raises my heart rate, burns through all my energy, leaves me sleepy, and makes me feel fearful.

Things came to head one evening when I had a really bad panic attack. I felt like I had my back up against a wall and nobody was taking my seriously. I visited the ER and they gave me some Xanax. I contacted my doctor and he also provided Xanax. He seems to think I should use it sparingly, but I can't seem to get through the day without it. Whenever it wears off, the emergency mode kicks back in and the fear comes back.

I talk with my doc tomorrow, and I really need to make the most of this meeting. What I want is Xanax XR or IR at all times, until we can find a solution that can take its place. Is this asking for too much? So far it's been three weeks since I've begun the Lexapro, and I feel no different than when it began. The Xanax helps mask its uselessness. I've begun researching other drugs, and I ran across one called Sertraline on Wikipedia. I know that I shouldn't trust everything I read on a Wiki, but it promises a lot of relief for people suffering from anxiety and panic disorders.

So my question is, should I wait for the Lexapro to kick in, or is there anybody who can provide some insight into Sertraline? Is it worth it? Can anybody provide some insight into Xanax? Right now I have IR, and I feel like I'm on a roller coaster ride. I'm a bigger person, and I can feel it kick in and out. One of the first things I feel when it wears off is the nervous need to use the bathroom.

Thanks for reading, and providing any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
(female)

welderswife HB User
Re: Lexapro vs Sertraline

Hi there I am currently kinda in the same situation as you.I was on paxil for 10 years (highest dose being 30 mg) but I gained alot of weight and for some reason made my liver enzymes go sky high so I was medicaly taken off of it and switched to 10 mg of lexapro,felt pretty good for about 5-6- months then started having panic,agoraphobia thoughts so my primary doctor upped me to 20mg,been feelin okay until about a month ago started out anxiety turned into crying all the time,not leaving the house,scared to be alone ect,well....... today went back they switched me to prozac 20mg hoping it will work not to fond of the benzo class meds heard way to much scary things about them but would love to stay in touch with you to let you know how things are working out for me and like wise with you

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-18-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Removed long quote. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread