It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
(female)

Jules5566 HB User
scared to death of meds!

Hi, I have had anxiety and panic attacks for 11 years now. I have finally decided to get help while in school for my panic attacks and feeling out of control. i have been scared of medicine my whole life and have only taken motrin, I wont even take a sinus pill when i am ill. I was prescribed Ativan 0.5mg and Effexor 37.5mg. I have had the pills since 6/3 and have not touched them because I am too scared to take them. Anyone have anything positive to help me with my fear of pills?? Please help

Julie

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-20-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

beyondjupiter HB User
Re: scared to death of meds!

When I did have the Ativan (the ER gave it to me, my PCP would not) it worked very well. I was also on Effexor years ago for depression (before I had the panic problems) and it worked really well for me. The only side effect I had was extra sweating. I seemed to sweat whether or not it was all that hot out. It was annoying but nothing bad at all. The Ativan the only side effect I experienced was sleepiness. I only took them for like a week so maybe that goes away but I would always fall asleep after I took one.

I assume what you are scared of are the side effects? I don't share that problem, just scared to leave the house LOL. So I am not sure if I (or even anyone) can talk you down. Just know that unlike sinus medicine, this is something you obviously need. Would you rather deal with minimal side effects like sweating, drowsiness, or dry mouth? Or panic attacks? Because I would FOR SURE take ALL of the others over the latter.

Let me know if I can help any more <3

Jen

The Following User Says Thank You to beyondjupiter For This Useful Post:
Jules5566 (06-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
(female)

Jules5566 HB User

Thanks a ton I am just a chicken of everything and I am terrified of side effects!! Especially since I have a 4 year old who I raise alone and i am in school full time...I really dont have the extra time to feel dizzy or sleepy or whatever else it may cause! I did take Ativan for the first time before bed last night and it made me fall asleep and feel kinda like I drank a few glasses of wine..... I do hate dealing with anxiety everyday all day

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-21-2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Removed posting rules violation. Ms_Mod

The following user gives a hug of support to Jules5566:
beyondjupiter (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
(female)

beyondjupiter HB User

I feel you, honey!! I have 2 kids ages 2 and 6 and I go to school full-time too. Its definitely not easy. I'm starting Celexa tonight for the panic attacks. I hope we can both find some relief.

I am always here if you want to chat!

<3

Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
(female)

aworry HB User

I have a fear of meds also. You are not alone. I am scared of the side effects. I have been suffering anxiety for years and it is ruining my life, I basically stay home everyday.
My anxiety has become worse as I have pulsatile tinnitus. I'm going for a MRI tomorrow and my ent prescribed me diazepam to calm me down, but I'm just to scared to take it.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Jules,

Try cutting your meds in halves or thirds.

Little by little,the full dosage will taken.
You can do things slowly;no one says that you have to rush.

Slow but steady wins and i'm rooting for you.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
(female)

panicremission HB Userpanicremission HB User

Hi Julie. I agree with everyone that a fear of medicine is very normal for panic disorder and anxiety. I too had a completely irrational fear of medication, as well as new food or even shampoo items (I had a fear I would have an allergic reaction). You could also look at this fear in a positive way because medicating for panic disorder can become an extreme security blanket and make it that much harder if you ever wanted to seek psychological treatment for the disorder. I went to see a psychologist for treatment and one of the first things he told me was that I needed to get off of any anxiety meds. And I told him that I had a fear of medication and so I wasn't taking anything. And it allowed me to jump ahead in the therapy because most people struggle to remove themselves from the medication for weeks or months. So there is a positive spin on it for you!!

Old 07-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
(female)

taylorsmom93 HB User
Smile Re: scared to death of meds!

I, too, am terrified of taking medicine. I also have the fear of shampoo, and lotions, makeup. All kinds of things. It seems so silly writing it down. Who is afraid of shampoo and lotion??

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I am thinking about going back on anxiety/depression meds and was looking for the differences in Lexapro and Celexa.

Annnyway. years ago, I got so tired of anxiety ruling my life that I decided side effects or no, I was doing something. I took 10mg of Lexapro and I think it literally saved my life.

I have been off it for several years, and have been good, but feel depression creeping back in. As bad as I hate medicine, I will take it again before I let it almost ruin my life, again.

Please try it. If it doesn't work, you can try something else. If you have to cut it in half at first, at least try. you will feel so much better. I did.

The ONLY side effect I had was drowsiness. And that went away after a week or so. As do most side effects.

I was afraid it would change my personality and I wouldn't be myself. All it did for me was take away the bad, so I could be me.

I hope you feel better very soon!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
(female)

catlover219 HB User

Hi Julie, it is hard to take anxiety/depression meds (I was raised in a "just pull yourself together" environment and had a super bad fight with my dad when i started seeing a psychiatrist, and taking Prozac and Xanax) but if had not taken the meds I would most likely be in a mental health instution now (yes, it was really that bad). However, I haven taken my, meds for 21 years now and know I will take them the remainder of my life I tried twice to function without them when we were trying to have a child but the panic/depression always came back withon sx weeks- We were never to have a child, which made both disorders worse, ao with the support of my husband I started both, meds back. The relief from the anxiety/panic/depression when taking the meds made it an easy choice for me. I hope you have a support system from family/friends and that you will confidemtly take your, eds and enjoy a panic free life. Take care :-)

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-08-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
(female)

Act girl HB User

Yep been there and done that... Truth be told I still do.
My way of "tricking my brain" into allowing me to take anything, be it headache tables through to presciption meds is to take just a little at first.
Eg I take beta blockers for heart palptations so I have quartered the tablets. The small amount works enough for me to feel the comfortable effects and so I've learnt to truth the effect.
I was the same with headache tablets. In my mind just one headache tablet of a simple grocery store brand was enough to kill me... But I took a quarter.... Waited.... Was okay took another quarter.....still okay and then after waiting a bit took the other half.... "oh" said my brain.... "that's safe" and then over time I developed a positive relationship with headache tablets.
I struggle from time to time but I work with a naturopath whom I trust and who understands my mind games need and between the two of us we've tricked my brain countless times - enough to have mad progress with my fears and panic attackes

Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
(female)

Grid Bug HB User

I gave up daily meds for anxiety. Too many side effects and I didn't know if I was getting better because, with constantly being medicated, I wasn't able to get feedback on my temperament. Now I keep Xanax with me. I try to tough out the anxiety, knowing that if it gets too bad, I'll get relief from the Xanax. I know that a Xanax habit will make it not so effective so I use it sparingly but it sure helps me from being scared of not having a way to save myself.

Closed Thread