HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Panic Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/)
-   -   New And In Need Of Help (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/panic-disorders/926457-new-need-help.html)

Nicksmom06 11-07-2012 06:23 AM

New And In Need Of Help

Hi everyone,
I am brand new to the boards and in desperate need of some advice. I had surgery in April to remove my gall bladder and it opened up a whole new severity to my IBS. The attacks have gotten very bad and they bring on panic attacks. I am sick now with bronchitis and am on antibiotics. This has made everything so much worse. The panic attacks and IBS attacks are coming more frequently and they are so bad that I cannot fight them. I honestly thought that I was going to die last night. My hear races out of control, my chest and arms feel as though they are being pumped full of hot coffee or something because it tingles and feels so hot inside. I feel as though I cant breathe and I start sweating and feeling complete panic. I feel as though I am going crazy and my instinct is to run away. I am too nervous to even leave my house anymore and I am too sick to even do anything about it. The attacks are lasting a lot longer and are so much more intense. I am so scared because I feel as though I am losing all control. It seems as though nobody understands. I currently take Paxil for the depression and a low dose of lorazepam 0,5 once a day. This is no longer effective and I am so scared and worried. I cannot relax and I wake up nervous and anxious. I feel as though I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown and I just want it to stop/

westwind59 11-13-2012 07:57 AM

Re: New And In Need Of Help

Hello, I am new on here as well, I know what you are going threw, I had my first Panic attack when I was 24 and I thought I was haveing a stroke, I started feeling funny, breathing irregular, and getting light headed, then I started to panic and it just got worse untill I went into Hyperventelation, sorry I spell like it sounds, anyway, I ended up in the hospital, it was the scarries night of my life. I thought it was over but seemed as thou the more I tryed to breath normal the more I was concentratting on it and feeling my pulse to see if it was normal and if it skiped at the slightest irregularity and I would panic and everything would esculate from there till a full blown panic attack. With me as you said it starts with numness or tingling of the lips and fingers and shortness of breath, this is due to exactly what it is,taking in more oxogen than my body can burn off, so I end up hyperventalating/Panic attack. Well its been 25 years since then and I have Panic Disorder I will probly have this the rest of my life, although once I found out they had a medication for this I have led a normal life and can, work, shower, go into a store, all the little things people take for granted. I know what you are dealing with and it is impossible to explain to someone who has NOT experienced these it in a full attack. I take xanex a 1 millagram for the fast actting but dosn't last long so I also take a 10 mill of valium yes I know it sounds extreaam but it really is not to have a normal life, yes i still get the attacks I am not afraid of them any more because of my meds. You have to find the right Doctor that knows about Panic attacks and is not affaid to suscrib meds for it. I take paxil for depression but it dose NOT help with Panic Attaks nor does prozack, lexapro, lorazapam, theropy, nothing has worked for me anyway and after 25 years I have tryed everything. YOU ARE NOT ALONE there are millions of people dealing with this disorder, I only hope that i can direct you to some meds that will help you that took me the first 10 years before I found out about xanex. I used to drink in my younger years and found if I had a few beers it would help, but as an alcoholic I drank to much and would end up with a hangover and themn wow the attacks were even worse, so thank God for my meds I said I am not as affaid of them earlyer, but recenly had a change of doctors and he tryed to tell me I could try other things as I have already tryed, he would not give me my meds and I ran out and YEP, attacks were terribly right back and I told a doctor that I cut his hair as I am a well established Barber in a small town about it, after over a month of hell, and he filled my meds for me and I am fine again. Sorry for this lenghy talk buy I want you to know this will NOT KILL YOUas we think in a attack, one of the times I passed out, as we feel like anyway and is part of the symtems, and I did pass out in the house and awoke and my body took over not my mind having been unconsious, and I felt better, since then and the many times in the hospitals and them saying "there is nothing wrong with you, you just hyperventalted" and so many cases have been reported since the mid 80's when I first had mine, they do know some thing about it but there is no cure. Only FEAR of the attack is the cause, and for me it is Im affaid impossible to erase it from my brain, so again on these meds I live a Normal life I just take a xanex as soon as I feel the first signs of an attact,and it is fast acting but I have to take the valium or( generic diazapam ) as it is log lasting, and I dont take them like at any specific time, I have to carry them with me all the time and I usually end up taking one each a day. I hope you can get something out of this, and wish you well, remember your not crazy, its just driving you to think so, and there are so many of us out here ! please ask me any questions, and dont be ashamed to the public as many people, if they dont have this they ussualy know someone who Does.

Nicksmom06 11-13-2012 08:09 AM

Thank you so much for your kind words and it really does help to know that I am not alone. I am glad that your attacks seem to be under control a lot better now. You are so right, it is so hard to explain this to someone who has never been in our shoes. I am going to start searching for a new doctor who is a lot more understanding about all of this. I think that my meds needs changed. I also take Paxil for depression and I don't feel that it is helping me anymore. I think that it really helps to talk about it and I am so glad that you took the time to answer me. Thanks so much. HUGS

panicremission 11-14-2012 06:35 PM

I just want to add another perspective for this. I too have been diagnosed with panic disorder (in the past, I don't meet the criteria anymore). I agree with what westwind was saying about the fear of the panic attack being the fuel of the attack. I took a different route and instead of medication, I went to a psychologist and worked with him for 9 months or so with various techniques like cognitive behavioral therapy and now I am happy to say that my life is so much better now and I am able to live normally. I do have a panic attack every once in a while but I know how to handle them now so they don't interfere with my life. I definitely know how you feel though - at the beginning of my panic disorder I became agoraphobic and was scared to drive, to leave the house and to be alone. It was a terrible existence. So there is always the medication route but if you don't want to be taking meds for the rest of your life and have the capabilities to get psychological treatment I think it is an option to keep in mind. I am very happy to have my life back. Good luck with everything!

westwind59 11-15-2012 07:00 AM

Yes, there is so much to my story and it is a very complicated subject,and although we are all so simular this can effect us at different levals and ways, so thank you for that insight panicremission, as you said, if one has the fincial aid/insurence, or just have the money and time I agree defenatly try theropy from those who know how to deal with this awfull disorder before meds, but for me 9 months of theropy is out of my finacial means, I just want mainly to as a type of theropy as well to let people know they are not alone and we all are here to help in any way we can, God be with you all :-)

Nicksmom06 11-15-2012 07:39 AM

I am in the same boat...there is no way that we can afford something like that. My attacks used to be well under control, but it seems as though my stomach issues are causing me to relapse. I am now being treated for a bacterial intestinal infection and am hoping that I will start to feel better soon. I am having panic attacks daily now and am very depressed about it. I am weak and have lost 14 pounds in 2 weeks and I bet that this has a lot to do with it. I am praying that it gets better, but for now am taking it one day at a time. I have tried the deep breathing exercises and to refocus, but it is not really helping me. The problem is that I am so weak from my illness that it is hard for me to do anything about the panic attacks. It helps to talk to you guys about it because I feel that nobody in my family understands at all. I pray for all of us and will take it one day at a time.

Nicksmom06 12-21-2012 07:46 PM

Hi everyone, I wanted to give you all an update. I finally decided to make an appt at a mental health facility and they have been great, I learned that because of the fact that I was having so much diarrhea, my paxil is time released and it was being flushed out of my body. It was like I went off of it cold turkey and this is why the panic attacks got so bad so quickly. I also went to a gastroenterolist and had a colonoscopy and scope. We learned that I have a condition after the gall bladder surgery call severe bile diarrhea. I am now being treated for this and have gained back 3 of the 28 pounds that I lost in a month and a half. I am also in weekly counseling and it is helping me a lot. I am so glad to know that there were medical reasons for a lot that I was going through and I am trying to work through the rest. I found out that I qualify for a program where anything that my insurance doesn;t cover is covered by the center 100%. This allowed me to concentrate on therapy without worrying about the cost. They did increase my lorazepam to 3 times daily for now and we will begin to taper that off when I get a bit stronger, I am feeling a lot better and the panic attacks are not happening near as often. I feel that I am getting better and this is a good feeling. I know that this was the worse that I have ever been and I felt like I was having a nervous breakdown. So glad that someone finally figured out that I was suffering from withdrawal of the Paxil. I hope that the new year is a great one for all of us who suffer from this. I know that there is hope for each and every one of us and thanks to all who offered me kind words when I truly needed it. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.