It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

kristali HB User
Terrifying experience

hello all, I decided to post on this board to find other people who are experiencing what I am experiencing. My family just doesn't get it. I am in the final months of getting a Master's degree and I have been experiencing pretty strong panic attacks since February. I was driving and just started feeling really dizzy and like I could not concentrate. My heart was racing and I had no control over what was going on with my body. Since then I have been having lots of trouble driving. I was prescribed Artivan 2mg by a doctor. Last night I did not take any. I woke up at 4am with my body tingling and sort of feeling numb. I was not feeling sick...just couldn't stop my body from feeling very weird. My heart started to race and I started pacing up and down in my room and could not sit still. I felt like I was either going to faint or have a seizure. There was a strange feeling in the back of my head and strong pressure in my forehead round my eyebrows. I sat on my bed rocking back and forth telling my family I dont want to die. I took an Artivan around 5 mins after this started and asked my aunt to call an ambulance because I really felt like something was medically wrong with me. By the time the ambulance came I had settled down a bit and did not end up going to that hospital with them. My parents took me to a private hospital where my blood work showed that I need more iron. This was such a terrifying experience!!!! I really thought I was going to die! Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Last edited by ms_mod; 06-06-2013 at 05:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Terrifying experience

"Has anyone else experienced anything like this? "

yep and it is the worst feeling. The way it was explained to me is that when we go into panic our mind is trying to search for the danger that triggered the flight or fight response, when there is no immediate danger, we start imagining that the danger is within our body, we tell ourselves "there must be something terribly wrong with me". But the truth is that panic is easily triggered when we are under tremendous stress (and sometimes we're not even aware how stressed our bodies really are). You need to deal with this now and get professional help because it can progress very quickly to where your world starts to shrink and eventually you can't even leave the house due to the panic and anxiety. Don't let it get to that, medication, relaxation techniques and talking to a therapist to try and understand the underlying reasons really help

Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
(female)

michelleygrl83 HB User

I live with horrible anxiety everyday and experience panic attacks several times a week (sometimes more than once a day). I have been having panic attacks for 11 years now and even though I've had so many, they are still terrifying. My chest tightens up and I feel like I can't breath, my whole body tingles and feels on fire, I feel dizzy/lightheaded, and sometimes my chest even hurts. Even though these feelings are familiar I still manage to convince myself that I'm having a heart attack each time.
So you are definitely not alone! *hugs*

Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
(male)

Jsnow HB User

Hey Kris,

Definitely sounds like a panic attack to me. As many people on this site can attest to, they suck. I've had many over the years and while I know I'm having one, I can never quite convince myself that it will pass and I'll be fine. The good news is, no one has ever died from a panic attack. The bad news is, you will most likely convince yourself that you are having a heart attack and plenty of people die from those.

My symptoms are usually the same each time but vary. I usually have about a minute warning before they hit. I usually feel very week, light headed, I start to shake and then the panic attack hits. In full blown attack mode, I feel sick to my stomach, I feel like I cannot breath, heart is racing, shaking, limbs will tingle, impending doom feeling (every time). Those are the basics. I have xanax and Klonopin but try not to take either.

Like you, I had a problem driving. Once I got on the highway, it was horrible. Same symptoms as you. At first I had no idea what was going on. Gradually I learned it was anxiety. These days, I rarely have any issues with driving

Also like you, I went to the hospital the first time I had a full blown panic attack. I honestly thought I was dying. By far, the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. I once got mugged at gunpoint and that does not even come close to the fear I experience during my first panic attack. Had all the tests done and everything came back fine.

I wish you luck in feeling better. I like this site as it gives me comfort to know that there are a lot of other people out there that are going through the same thing. Lean on these people, they are awesome!

Closed Thread