It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Paralysis Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
(female)

Jabberbug HB User
Unhappy Paralyzed for 15 minutes?!

I experienced quite a scare the other day, compliments of my body & I am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the matter, or perhaps has experienced something similar?

I was first struck with a sudden onset of nausea, which quickly progressed to frequent vomiting. I had accompanying dizziness & headache, but no chills or fever. About 5 hours into it, I thought I experienced a blessed reprieve, but then suddenly numbness began to spread up my arms & there was a dull pulsing pain to follow, until eventually my hands became rigid, my fingers locked together & then I lost complete control of my arms. It felt like gravity increased 10 fold. Then the same loss of control happened to my legs & I could feel the numbness spreading up my abdomen. Eventually I lost control of my neck as well; my head dropped to the right side & I had trouble speaking, not to mention remaining conscious. I am not sure if the shortness of breath can be attributed to panic, but it was hard to breathe nonetheless. Here is the best part, I went literally paralyzed for at least 15 minutes--what joy! My Mother witnessed this & thought I was having a stroke. After I came out of the temporary paralysis my muscles would not stop shaking & the vomiting continued for an hour. At the hospital they gave me an IV; anti nausea & pain killers & all that, & monitored me for hours on end.

Apparently my urine & blood work was clean, the CT on all lower organs was clear as well (apart from a 2 cm cyst on my right ovary). They diagnosed it as "adult viral syndrome" & told me I was extremely dehydrated & lost a lot of nutrients from vomiting. My GP has ordered more blood work & an MRI of my brain, though she is pretty convinced this was triggered because a lack of electrolytes? Does this sound right?

It is 7 days later & my muscles still shake--albeit mildly--they are very tender & I am incredibly fatigued. What I am assuming are my lymph nodes; are swollen & sore under my arms, & if this makes any sense, as well as a headache I am sensing cold spots & numbness on the brain with occasional sharp stabs.

I have to say, I have a high tolerance for pain & an invariably positive outlook, but this has me pretty flippin shaken up. I am afraid the paralysis will happen again, it just wasn't normal. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? Are there any viruses that can contribute to temporary paralysis? Your help is much appreciated!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jabberbug:
Prairie Fairie (08-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
(female)

crosdo8 HB User
Re: Paralyzed for 15 minutes?!

that sounds very scary! Dehydration can cause a lot of bad symptoms. I would go see a neurologist and ask for a EMG just to rule out anything serious like MS or ALS. May I ask how old are you? There are all kinds of crazy viruses out there that can cause these symptoms more than likely. Keep us posted with updates. How are you feeling at present?

Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

kafish67 HB User

Sounds like guillain barre syndrome where the body's immune system starts attacking your nervous system. It can be brought on by a virus. Hope you are better

Old 05-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #4
(male)

OhNikkie HB User

Reading your post made me have aches, This is bad.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
(female)

cdaus HB User

I'm also thinking of electrolyte imbalance due to the dehydration, check your potassium levels.

Reply Reply