It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran

abbygirl2 HB User
not ready for JK??

My 3yr old should be starting JK this September and can hardly talk yet. I had him checked over by his Dr, he is fine healthwise. His Dr did recommended an evaluation by a speech pathologist, which we did.
The Speech Path. said he does not need therapy but recommended we bring him to a 'class' she puts on once a week for kids who are slow speakers but can not be diagnosed with a specific problem.
So we have been taking him once a week for almost 6 months now with very little improvement. He says about 50 words, although he says only 10 or so properly, and can speak in 2-3 word sentences.(Again, not properly-but we understand him)(he says milf instead of milk).
Most of the time he just babbles endlessly. He knows what he is saying but most others do not.
I know he is learning, for example he knows his colours, and numbers up to ten, he just can not say them very well-he tries though. He plays computer games(Dora and Blue's Clues), so his fine motor skills are good. He is not hyperactive, he enjoys watching tv and having books read to him. (Many many books)
We got a 2nd opinion with the same results, there is nothing wrong with him, he just doesn't care to talk properly.
Part of me believes this because I know he does not want to grow up. He screams when we talk to him about going to school and when I tried to potty train him he would say "me baby". (Knowing only babies wear diapers).
He is extremely clingy, especially to his dad and I really don't think he will stay at the school by himself. (We still have to sit with him in the speech class even though all the other parents drop their kids off)

Should I try to send him, in hopes that he will 'grow up' a bit and see how great being a big kid is, or should I give him another year at home and continue with the speech classes. My family thinks that sending him will encourage him to communicate with the other kids. (I really don't even know if the school will accept him with such few speaking skills).
What are all your thoughts? Registration is this week, so I am really hung on what to do.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
Inactive

maak823 HB User
Re: not ready for JK??

Have you thought of trying some "Mommy & Me" type classes where you can attend with him? My daughter was extremely shy- so we did things together at first- then eventually she would start warming up and going with the other kids to play. Your son does need interaction with other children - and once he sees how they act and what fun they are having- he will want to do it too! You can also try leaving him in the nursery at church for a while as well - generally its only an hour or so. Ease him into it and he will adjust.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:23 PM   #3

moni1 HB User

We enrolled our 2 year old in a Montessori toddler class. She is very shy and is a delayed talker. We did this mostly for socialization (we don't have any relatives closer than 4 hours away and we don't get out much). At first I had to scape her off the pavement with her crying "no", but now she runs into the classroom and can't wait for me to leave saying "bye bye mommy!" until I'm out the door. It will be hard at first but it might be the best thing you can do for him.
Babe #2 c-section 11/06

Old 02-05-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

whiteluluflower HB User

I think you could send him to JK, When I was younger, I had a speech problem. (my mom told me, only her, and my siblings could understand me, it was that bad.), I dont remember to good. I was also 3, when I started school.

You should check with the school to see if they have people to help with speech problems.During school hours. I got help at school, like once or twice a week.

Now, I do not have a speech problem, and I talk normally.

Closed Thread