It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 AM   #1
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User
Question Circumcision, question from a friend

my friend just became pregnant and she does not know what she is having yet but her and her husband are already arguing about circumcision and her husband is not cir. but he wants the baby to be cir. (if it is a boy) and she does not because of the pain i guess, and she wanted to hear some pro or anti stories from everyone here (she does not have computer.) thanks

Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Fireball76 HB User
Re: Circumcision, question from a friend

My husband is cir, and so is our three year old son. I think that even though there maybe pain for her son, he really won't remember it. Also from what 've heard it will make things a lot easier for her child as far as hygiene goes for the rest of his life.
My Dad was uncir, but due to health problems he had to have it done as an adult, which to me would be worse.
Maybe what you friend should do is ask her husbad why he feels the baby should be. Since he is not cir he must have a reason why he wants his child to be cir. Does that make sense?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ratatosk HB UserRatatosk HB User

We decided ahead of time it would be done, but our child almost wasn't because he had to have emergency surgery and was in the NICU for several weeks. He cried at the time -- they give the babies glucose before they give a local to numb the area, he asleep and was fine afterwards. We had to put gauze with petroleum jelly on the area for a few days to keep the area clean.

Knew of someone who had an older relative who'd gotten an infection and it wasn't pretty. Sounded dreadul!

DH told me he went to school with someone who hadn't had it done and they made fun of him in the locker room.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nyxin HB Usernyxin HB Usernyxin HB User

my son is now 7 months ols and he was in the NICU when he was born when he was stable he was circumsized and he didn't even cry, he just got mad at the cold sterile wash they do. that is a silly thing to be worried about as it will be way more painful for him in the future if he gets a nasty infection or something from not being circumsized. my friend didn't circumsize her little boy and he has gotten an infection in there already @ 6 months old. tell her it's their choice of course but maybe she just can't stand the thought of it and it has nothing to do with the baby. maybe they will have a girl and not worry about it.
C-Section Aug 1st 08 with baby BOY #3
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #5
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thank you everyone i will pass the messages on

Old 02-06-2004, 10:50 PM   #6

MoonGoddess672 HB User

There was no question when it came to our son having a circumcision, it went beautifully and he had absolutely no problems in the passing weeks. But just to let your friend know that if they don't get it done now and their son wants it in the future, that it will be a pretty painful procedure. My father had it done in his forties and ended up with a bad infection and was very very sore for a good couple of weeks.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

thanks again

Old 02-07-2004, 11:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Winnie~
thanks again
just an opinion from the other side. My son is not circumsized nor was it a question weather or not to do it. Now adays it is not considered unhygenic or anything you just need to teach the child how to clean it properly. the reasoning why hubby and i chose not to do it is a) becasue it is not medically necessary and b) becasue dh isn't done. A little story. Hubby was about 4 or 5 and he saw his dad get out of the shower and his dad is circ and dh isn't. Dh thought for the longest time there was something wrong with him because his penis didn't look the same as his dads. He was too scared to ask though so we wanted Austin to "look" the same as his daddy.

Angela

Old 02-08-2004, 08:51 AM   #9

whowhat HB User

well I got my son circumcised and well I even went in the room to watch it done I felt sooo bad for him but any more htere r more kids here where I live that r circumsized and well I don't want my son to feel like a freak in gym class or something and plus I know about the infections and stuff the babies nerves have not really formed down there so it realy doesn't hurt the baby they only thing that hurt my son was the numbing part but after that he was fine the earlier u get it done the better

Old 02-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I agree...I had my son, Austin circumsized for mainly health reasons. I've heard horror stories where an older man had to have it done and it's hell to go through. I'm sure our babies will not remember the pain. It's a lot easier to have it done now rather than later. I'm sure that if dr's. thought it was unsafe they wouldn't perform the procedure.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:38 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

BUT on the other hand, if doctors thought it wasn't safe not to have it done, they would urge the procedure. NOT trying to argue, just pointing out a fact that it isn't considered medically necessary nowadays as long as the boy learns how to clean properly. It all depends on the parent and their personal opinion.

Angela

Last edited by Moderator BAC; 02-09-2004 at 11:41 AM.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #12

TimHeather HB User

I had my son done when he was 3 days old and he didn't cry and it never bothered him after that. I also think the pro's out weigh the con's.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:01 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

tinkers HB User

My Dh is not circumsized, while my oldest son is and my newborn goes in 3 weeks to have it done. The reason I chose to have it done is because my DH is very lazy at pulling back the foreskin when he urinates. I don't think that he would be a good teacher to his boys, so I chose to have it done.

Last edited by tinkers; 02-17-2004 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #14

julieanneweb HB User

Hi...My hubby is and my two boy are NOT. We decided that there is not a medical reason to have it done...hygenie is no big deal and sensitivity will be better for them as men. We are glad at the decision we made....Sometimes preasure can be hard tho from friends and family when making the decision. She will know what is best for here and her baby when the time comes....there is no right or wrong... Julie

Old 03-15-2004, 08:03 PM   #15

GOOGLEMANONINE HB User
Exclamation Re: Circumcision, question from a friend

I am 17 years old and am cir and theres not a day goes by that I dont thank my mom she had it done to me. I cant imagine having a large amount of skin on darth vader, but im glad I dont have to worry so much about it. Besides all the girls I know think its yukee.

P.S. it might looks like an elephants trunk

Last edited by GOOGLEMANONINE; 03-15-2004 at 08:07 PM.

Closed Thread