It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2004, 08:04 AM   #1

friendlyrob HB User
NEW PARENTS!!11weeks 17.4lbs(what is your babies age/weight?)

anyone ever know a baby this big? I guess its good, my ped said this is healthy but being overweight myself worries me my son is too big.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
Re: NEW PARENTS!!11weeks 17.4lbs(what is your babies age/weight?)

My son is 10 months and 21 pounds. If the pediatrician is happy with his growth then I wouldn't worry. The Dr. will tell you if he is concerned. But, personally, this early on I wouldn't worry yet. Babies grow at such different rates...he might be having his first growth spurt and he will slow down.

My son was actually loosing weight right after birth for the first two weeks untill I finally stopped trying to breastfeed. After we put him on a bottle he gained weight. A LOT of weight. He was a chunky baby and now he is starting to even out. As your baby grows the weight will distribute evenly. Sounds like you have a healthy little one No worries!!! Congrats!!!

Last edited by littleone314; 02-06-2004 at 11:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

babygrant HB User

Hey Robyn

We got austins shots on thursday and he was 4 months and 17 lbs 3 oz. At 2 months he was 13 lbs 14 oz. Nurse said that was excellent and absolutely nothing to worry about!

Angela

Old 02-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

It's all relative My son will be 19 months tomorrow and weighs 21lbs 5oz. He is also only 30in. If we put our boys together, people would say that your little one is so big. Is he so big or is my little one so small?

Little one's pack on weight and then lose it once they get more active. All of my kids, save for the little one, got chubby right before they went through growth spurts or gained a milestone. Once they started crawling or walking, they slimmed down.

As long as your Ped isnt worried, I wouldnt be either. He seems to be beautiful to me!! As for mine, I am just glad to see him on the charts as he started out at 4lbs 8oz. So you have to take into consideration how big they start life and what all they go through to gain those pounds when you are looking at how big or small kids are

Old 02-08-2004, 08:46 AM   #5

whowhat HB User

hi I know how u feel...when my daughter was 4 months old she weighted 17 pnds 4 oz and everyone use to say rude stuff about how hubge she is and well I gave her one water bottle a day she seemed to like the water bottle alot and we just relised when she cried it doesn;t always mean she is hungry so we play with her more and we went to the dr.s for her 6 month check up and she was 19pnds 3oz but sadly she has been real sick sooo she is now at 17 pnds 8 oz but try playing wiht ur baby hold him/her abover ur head act like a total loon and keep the baby occupied alot of pppl think that when a baby is dry and is crying for no reason it is hunger when alot of times it is bordum

Old 02-09-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Veteran

camden HB User

My son weighed 13 lbs. before he was a month old (over 9 at birth) and I remember being worried because he had been throwing up alot of formula and had barely gained any weight from the previous week. We took him to the hospital that night and he had blockage in his stomach and lost two or three pounds before they sent him for surgery to correct the problem.

Imagine that! I was worried that my 3&1/2 wk old, 13 lb baby wasn't gaining properly and I was right! LOL

At four months he weighed 17 lbs and was 26" long. He is now a 64 lb, happy, healthy, child (actually in the mid range for other children of his age).

My daughter weighed 15 lbs at 4 mths and is now a 38lb 4 yr old.

You have to remember that not all children are built the same. Have you ever picked up two children that weigh the same only to find that one feels alot heavier than the other and that one is alot bigger than the other? Both of my children feel so darn heavy but they aren't very big. I actually remember the Health nurse being surprised at how skinny he was(after measuring my son and finding that he weighed quite a bit too much for his height) when I took his shirt off.

Old 02-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

Robyn, Cal weighed 15 lbs at 8 weeks I don't know what he weighed at 11 weeks. I noticed after 3 months his weight gain really slowed alot and he started getting alot of length. After about 4 months, he only gained between 1-2 lbs. a month. Now he weighs 22 lbs at 7 months, which is definitely on the heavy side, BUT he's 29 1/2 inches long. The pediatrician told me that the growth rate and the weight for length percentage was more important than weight for age, because all babies are built differently. And, I just talked to a woman today who had a 9 pounder who weighed 18 lbs at 3 months, but now at 2 years he only weighs 26 lbs. I wouldn't worry if your pediatrician isn't worried. All babies are different, and his weight gain should slow soon.
It's kind of funny though, because some people say "Oh, he looks tiny." Because he's so long he looks pretty slim, but he's the size of most 1 year olds around here and is in 12-18 month clothes!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 02-23-2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Congrats to you all

Old 02-23-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

thank you

Old 02-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #10

TimHeather HB User

My son just turned 1. He is 32 pounds. The thing is he is also tall, so my dr. isn't concerned at all about his growth. When he was 6 months old he was 25. He was 8'9 when he was born, he's always been a big boy. They are too young to say they are going to be really big. I know most 1 years olds are like 25 pounds. So don't worry about it. My little guy aint that little but I know that sooner or later the other kids his age will catch up to him. If you dr. isn't worried, then you shouldn't be either. All kids are differant.

Old 02-28-2004, 08:44 PM   #11
Veteran

ABC~Mom HB User

i gues so far i am the only one with a small baby.... my daughter is 18 weeks old and is about 12lbs. she was only 6lbs at birth.

Old 02-29-2004, 08:55 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommyof4 HB User

Well, we have to change out stats. My son is almost 20 months now. He weighed 4lbs 8oz at birth. In my original post, he weighed 22lbs something. Now he is down to 21lbs 2oz... I guess they come in all shapes and sizes

Closed Thread