It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2004, 06:49 AM   #1

esam HB User
recommendations for a "stranger danger" video?

hi
can anyone recommend a video for my preschool age children that will emphasize the importance of staying away from strangers etc etc? i am not familiar with what's out there and haven't seen much for this age group.

i appreciate any help.

thanks

Old 02-09-2004, 12:28 PM   #2
Inactive

rrsmom HB User
Re: recommendations for a "stranger danger" video?

I also have been thinking about this issue. I've been wondering if there's any books out there too?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Even though I still have a few years to worry about him walking away with a stranger..I'm concerned as well. I want to be prepaired very early!! Hopefully, someone knows good resources!!

Old 02-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
Inactive

KimRick HB User

You're NEVER safe from strangers. It's just as easy for a stranger to snatch a child as well as one to walk off with them. I live in South Florida and we just had an 11 year old whose abduction was captured on video; her body was found a few days later behind a church. I have an 8 year old daughter and that is one of my biggest fears! I feel like a hard-*** with her sometimes because I put restrictions on where she goes, who she plays with, where she plays, etc. I will not let her go ANYWHERE by herself and I have to know everything about what she does, where she does it & whom she does it with. We need to inform ourselves & our children about the dangers that are lurking in the shadows. Call me paranoid, but I don't want anything happening to my child.

Old 02-09-2004, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Very true...you're never safe! I just meant that I have a little bit before he could "walk" away with a stranger such as Amanda Bruccia did(I think that was her name) from FL. I feel horrible for her and her family...hopefully they can now start the mending process!

Last edited by littleone314; 02-09-2004 at 01:42 PM.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #6

whowhat HB User

well I know this sounds weird but I have told my kids about strangers they r 6 and 3 and I tell them the ways that strangers can come to them like that one girl in california when I guy came to the little girl and asked her if she will help find his puppy I told them about the candy trick and all of that stuff...After Elizabeth Smart was kidnapped she lives about 50 miles from me my daughter was concerned cuz she now knew that it can happen to anyone and it isn't just on tv and luckly she was returned home safly but now with that Carly girl in Florida that was captured on tape I am trying to teach my kids never walk by ur self and were it isn't crowded because they r 6 and 3 they don't ever go out with me I am by there side at all time but I know I will have to cut the cord sometime and let them grow up....I know this sounds mean but I was planning on having one of my friends who the kids don't know try to see if they can kidnapp them y I watch to see what they do if they were appoached to see where I need to work on teaching them......

Old 02-10-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Inactive

KimRick HB User

Oprah did a show based on that idea - setting their children up with "strangers", with hidden camers, to see how they would react if a real potential threat was to happen and believe it or not, the parents were HORRIFIED to see their children walking off, willingly, hand-in-hand w/ these "strangers" (the show's producers). Children are extremely trusting with adults and it's sad, but predators use that against them in order to get them to comply!

I've told my daughter, whose 8, that no matter what someone tells them - I don't care if they tell her that I'm dead - to run away as fast as possible and try to find another adult and latch on to that other person until the attention is on her and what the problem is!

Carly Brucia was walking home from a slumber party and decided to take a short cut behind a car wash when she was abducted. Thank goodness that it was captured on video, for this creep (who has 3 daughters of his own) might still be out there praying on someone else's child. I hope he gets what he deserves for hurting that little girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #8

esam HB User

i agree with all of you - it's very scarey raising our children these days. i, too, live in Florida and have seen the videos lately of Carlie Brucia and it brings me to tears every time.

but....back to the topic - does anyone know of any books - or videos recommended for preschool age children on this topic? i've looked all over the internet and found some things but i would like some recommendations based on personal use of them. i read about the Yello Dyno video's - and one called "stranger danger" but i don't want to buy something before i hear more about it........

any help out there?
thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 02-11-2004 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Videos by name only, please. Do not post where to buy them. Please carefully read, know and follow the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top of the page. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 PM   #9

whowhat HB User

u know I put on my own shows for my kids with there toys and try to say diffrenet examples and when my daughter was 4 I was explaining this to her and about how strangers can act and I did one where the stranger (who I also told her might not look mean and can look like a nice guy) came up and asked the doll if she wanted candy and I asked my daughter what should the doll do and she told me go get the candy so I had the doll go get the candy and they stranger kidnapped the doll my daughter really didn't think that could happen she said "mommy candy is good and only good ppl carry candy" so I had to talk to her about it I teach my kids about alot of things at a young age with examples of there dolls I teach them road safty and even drugs and cigeretts cuz I want my kids to know what to do if ever placed in a bad situation but yes I want to get some one to pretned to kidnap my kids soo I know what I need to work on with them I saw something like that on 20/20 long ago so I think it is a good idea so I know where I stand with them....

Closed Thread