It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User
How important??

Austin has his cleft palate repair in April and his Dr. wants him completely off of a bottle. He will be a little over a year. I know they are recommending babies be off the bottle at 12 months but for some reason Austin just refuses to accept a sippy. He will slap it out of my hand or simply let the liquid (I've tried water, juice, formula) roll out of his mouth. However, he drinks out of a regular cup like a champ!! How important is a sippy and should I just skip the whole sippy stage? I'm worried they might push back his surgery and he needs it as soon as possible!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Inactive

rrsmom HB User
Re: How important??

Wow! That's great that he can drink out of a regular cup! I wouldn't worry about a sippy cup if I were you. They are really only for our convenience (no spills for us to clean up) As long as he can drink the amount that he needs out of a regular cup he's fine. Is he allowed to drink out of a straw? My kids love the playtex cups that have straws that can fold down. They don't spill either so that would be more convenient for you.
Good luck with his surgery and the whole cup dilemma!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2004, 12:33 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I wish he could use those cups w/ the straws because I like them as well! Unfortunantly, because of the hole in the palate he can't create a suction to suck out of straw. But, after his surgery he will be able to YAY!! LOL...I have to keep a close watch on him with the cup because if I don't I'll have a HUGE mess...the sippy cups sure are more convientent!! Oh well

Old 02-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Inactive

rrsmom HB User

Have you tried the sippy cups with the soft spouts? I think avent makes one. Both my kids liked those better than the hard spouts when making the transition.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:56 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

I think (if it's what your talking about) Gerber makes a soft spout sippy. We bought two and he did a little better with those. Those are the only ones that he would take a drop from! I might try to find an Avent one somewhere. Do you know where I could get one?

Old 02-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
Inactive

rrsmom HB User

Target or Wal-Mart usually carry them. They come in all different colors. Maybe if you take him with you and let him pick one out and make a big deal about his big-boy cup he'd be excited. Keep trying with the sippy cups though, I bet eventually he'll come around. He probably just needs to get good at using it so he won't feel frustrated with it. I swear, after raising children, we should get an honorary degree in child psychology!!!

Old 02-09-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

littleone314 HB User

Oh how I agree!!!! Motherhood definantly qualifies as one of the hardest jobs on earth but also VERYYY rewarding as well

Closed Thread